Notices

Looking to buy an Evo X MR, need advises

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2010, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy an Evo X MR, need advises

Hello everyone, I've been lurking around for a while read and learning about Evos.
Originally, I plan on saving up to get my first Evo (X) next year.
But as you all know life can be a b**** some time. I was perfectly fine with stick with my good old 2003 subaru for another year, but some random guy just had to run the stop sign in broad daylight. So here I am, with no car to drive and a lousy check from ICBC good for nothing but merely a down payment.

I am looking for a new/used evo x MR in Vancouver area, most likely a new one. (been looking on several websites, always comes back with 2 results only.)
I have roughly 10k for down payment to lease or finance. This would be my first time leasing/financing, so any suggestions are welcome. Anybody on the forum have experiences with leasing evo x's from mitsu? do you know what the restrictions would be like? do they allow you to modify your car at all during the lease? Would you be able to buy out the car earlier if you happened to have the cash?

I've been digging up on old threads of dealerships in the Vancouver area, I see people recommending the Metro Mitsu while New type and Vancouver Mitsu.
Does anyone have some new experiences to share dealing with mitsu dealers in Vancouver area?

Thanks for reading guys
Old Sep 5, 2010, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Most of the Vancouver evos are local ones plenty of experience! I got mine from north shore mitsu and the experience was fantastic. Not many dealerships have any MRs in stock ever since the 2010's came out! Financing or leasing is straight forward as you just go to The dealer and they'll contact the bank to see if you're eligible. I wouldn't mind selling my MR
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:42 PM

Thanks for the reply Optiblue, the 2 used MRs I've seen online are
1) New type Richmond's 09 WW Evo X MR, low mileage 11,000KM, but from the info I've learned, the 09 models don't come with premium package
2) Wolfe's 08 RR Evo X MR, this one has premium but has 2x,000KM, both cars' mileages seem fairly low, but one doesn't have premium, one isn't WW.

How much do you want to sell your MR for? hows the condition on it? mods?
Old Sep 6, 2010, 03:06 AM
Evolved Member

Ah, the 09's are rare as dealers were still trying to sell their 08's during that year! I know because I bought the last 08 WW MR last year! Thing to keep in mind is that if you choose 2010 new with 0%, it will roughly be $60k final price. However, all the 08 used ones will not have 0% and it's a straight loan from the bank for whatever rate they loan you! I found that out when I tried to trade mine in for a used GSR. You're coming from a stick background right, are you sure the GSR performance package isn't the one you rather have? Even though I test drove the MR before buying, I'm one of the odd people who still craves 5speed after the MR. My car is in excellent condition since it's mainly used for daily driving to and from work with 17k clicks encounting. Mods wise I only have an intake and exhaust that I would prefer to take back.

My suggestion is to checkout the dealer first, test drive both trims and see what's the best deal they can offer you. If you're really serious, a we can work out a price if you still prefer to have mine.

Last edited by Optiblue; Sep 6, 2010 at 03:14 AM.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the input.
The main reason I am considering the MR but not the GSR is that I will be using this car as daily driver like you, to commute to work and stuff. With all the constructions thats going on on HWY1, I would not want to drive a sticker in traffic all days long, at least 5 days a week. (theres at least 1.5 year till the constructions ease down)

I'll definitely drop by the dealerships and check out the cars and see what sort of deals they can offer, but your 08 WW is still really appealing I'll keep posting on my findings
Old Sep 6, 2010, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

not much help i can offer about looking for the right car, but i think youre gonna miss the clutch..i commute to school everyday too and have to deal with traffic and honestly, i think it makes driving fun lol, yea im weird. i drove my dad's rav4 for a week to school witht the same traffic and i found myself missing shifting. i know a rav4 is not comparable to an evo, but it just left me missing something while driving.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Ah the highway #1 is a complete mess until 2013 when the bridge is completed! My morning commute is just along kingsway so not as bad. But yeah, just keep my WW MR as an option if nothing comes up from the dealer. My plan was just to finish paying it off and then sell it after anyways.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See this post:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ca...ml#post8648705

The numbers for you will be a bit less cuz you pay 12%, we pay 13% tax. Bottom line... if at all possible, avoid leasing. It may look like you are saving money, but in the long run... you’re not. You’ll save about $2k.. which buys you an exhaust, intake, tune, etc etc.

Last edited by sun_ice4; Sep 7, 2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 04:14 PM

Thanks for the input sun ice4.
Yeah, I've been thinking about finance vs lease.
In short term, leasing would be better because I would have a smaller monthly payment.
In the long run financing is more ideal, because you get to own the car + all the things you mentioned in your thread.

There is one question though, if anyone on the forum happens be work in financial institutes.
I was talking to a friend of mine, who is a investment broker. He said that leasing might be ideal in the long run because you wouldn't have to hurt your future loan credit. He said that a friend of his financed a BMW that costs him 1.2k/mo, and when he went to the bank for a mortgage loan, his credit was 250k less than what he originally could've gotten if he didn't have that 60k or so loan for his BMW a while ago.

I was going to ask around about that, but now that we brought this topic up in the thread, does any fellow Evo enthusiasts have some thoughts on that?
Old Sep 7, 2010, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Good point, and it is true. Leasing doesn't affect your credit in the same way financing does. Something to definitely consider.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:23 AM

Hey guys, I went to 2 different dealers with my brother today. Metro and New Type.
It turns out there is only 1 WW 2010 MR left in BC, confirmed by both dealerships.

The metro town dealership sales was friendly, but not really informative, he just kept on pushing me into putting a $2,000 deposit to secure the vehicle. I asked if he could show me the different financing and leasing options, and he just runs me in circles telling me that the main priority is not about the payments, but securing the vehicle, and says that if I wanted to know the details for payments, I'll have to talk to their business manager, and to do that, I need to make a deposit first. I ended up telling him that I just can't make a decision today, I haven't even seen the car in person yet, I asked if he could tell me where the 2010 WW MR is located, he said no his manager says it cannot be disclosed.

The New type dealership was a different story. It turns out my best friend knows a guy who works there. So despite some bad reviews from the forum, I figured I'd give it a try.
When I got to the dealer it was about 45 mins before they have to close, and the sales was with another customer who was buying a eclipse (middle aged gentleman with a 5~6 yr old, I wish my dad bought a eclipse when I was 5.) But he was nice enough to just hand us the key of the Used 09 WW MR they have on the lot for us to check out while we wait. We took a look at the 09 MR for about 10 mins or so, but since it doesn't have a premium package, we weren't really interested in it. We waited for couple more minutes, the sales then gave me 2 brochures for the Evo X to look it, it was then I realized I didn't even get a brochure from the metro dealership and I was constantly pushed into the making a deposit, crazy huh?

When the sales finally was available, it was about 5 mins before closing. Basically I just told him that I was told by another dealership that there is only 1 2010 WW MR left in BC. He said he'll take a looks, and he just showed the monitor as he did the search with "2 mouse clicks" and it just showed where the car is located. (So much for "the info cannot be disclosed" metro mitsu!) I then asked about the financing and leasing info, the sales just crunched in the numbers into the mitsu website (which is exactly the same when we do it on our own, but the other sales wouldn't do). I asked if the rates are the same across dealers, if there are any incentives buying from their dealer. He talked to his manager, and offered to shave a little amount from the sticker. (it wasn't much at all, but I was happy that he was willing to take it up to his manager with any hassles, like pushing for a cash deposit.)

To my personal opinion, the experience with New type was much better, it may have to do with my friend knowing the sales. However, constantly being pushed into making a deposit without any info and not even getting a piece of paper from metro mitsu when I walked was kind of lame, if I must say.

So right now I am really just deciding when to get the car, while looking to see if there are other options like a used 08 WW MR (that be you optiblue)

Last edited by gatsu; Sep 12, 2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

I had a few dealers try to do something similar as Metro also. I don't know how they sell cars.

You should be able to get 6% off MSRP easily. But what you have going against you is there's only 1 WW, and if the dealer knows you want it, they won't budge.

My advise for what it's worth... go in with the assumption you will NOT be buying it. Let him know you want to wait for the 2011. Let the car sit. If he's willing to drop the price by 6%, you'll consider the 2010.

You can buy the 2011 at MSRP, why would you buy a year old car at MSRP?
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the suggestion sun ice4, that brings up a question.
The metro dealership sales suggested that there will not be 2011 evo x, and the new type sales said they don't know yet, but his manager thinks it will come, but probably not for another 5 month ish.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, this contradicts what other people have experienced at metro mitsu, but I guess they're being pushy to secure a sale as it's harder to sell cars after the summer! I drive by there and their once show room GSR's are now shafted for display outside! Good to know that at least you were able to get the keys for the MR at new type. Many of us 08's never even got that chance! Decisions decisions! What were the final numbers on that 2010? 2011's have brochures out in the states. If you're not looking for GSR, there's nothing new for MR. GSR's will have a sunroof and leather heated seated seats package (SSSL) package as well as the standard SSS package.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 02:16 PM

the new type sales offered $1500 off from the sticker, which is tiny, but I think I should be able to persuade them into giving me a bigger discount or 0% for 60 months with 0 down. Optiblue, do you know what the differences between your 08 MR and the 10 MR are? besides the spoiler delete. Mind shooting me a pm with some details on your car? what terms are you on with your MR, how much payment is left.. etc and maybe a rough sale price on your MR? =)

Quick Reply: Looking to buy an Evo X MR, need advises