Notices

Prospective Evo X owner, all suggestions welcome!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2011, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prospective Evo X owner, all suggestions welcome!

Hello everyone! I've been losing sleep with the excitement of buying an Evo X. Some background: I am planning to trade in my '09 Civic DX-G with 50k KM for a used 2008 Evo GSR with 26k KM from the dealer. Civic is mostly cosmetically modded, along with aftermarket intake/exhaust. I can probably restore it to stock easily. I can probably get $4-5k for the parts and use that as down payment. Evo is stock, haven't test driven yet, and noticed one flaw (smelled like a cigarettes). The Evo is 36k MSRP . They offered me $306 bi-weekly on a 72 month term with $5k down and trade in. Does this seem like a good deal? I'm also concerned about getting the value of the Civic appraised. The dealer asked that they have the manager drive my car to see how drivable it is, but with the custom suspension and short shifter on it, they may underprice it. Thanks for your input.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 02:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try selling it private you will prob get double what the dealer will give you or atleast a couple thousand more without returning it to stock. Dealer will only give wholesale price not retail price for ur civic.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:48 AM

reximus - have you done your calculations? You're paying almost $58k for a car that's only worth $29k wholesale. You can buy a new Evo for that payment plan. I hope you don't go through with it. Not to mention, the car is out of warranty and you need spend more money on maintenance over that period.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:42 AM

$58k seems a little high for an estimation

i have $16k left on my finance minus the trade in value of the car minus the downpayment.

without figuring the cost to borrow, it's $43k if i give my civic a low value. i understand it's the same price as a brand new evo, but if i were to buy a new evo at this price, i'd have to keep paying for the civic as well.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:09 AM

most 72/84 terms have a residual value that needs to pay off at end of term. You're right, my estimation is off, it may be higher.

I'm just saying, you can can get a '08 Evo from the US, landed here in Toronto for $30-$33k, inclusive.

Not trying to burst your bubble, but dealers are known for their fuzzy math.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 02:28 PM

buying any Canadian Evo X is just a waste of money IMO, its wayyyyy marked up.

like chincster said, go get one from the states. from the amount of money you save, you can afford to fix the car yourself if it breaks since there will be no warranty.