Notices

<Calgary> Anyone else getting, Loud start up noises?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:03 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<Calgary> Anyone else getting, Loud start up noises?

Hey there, -29c out there and my car is starting,, but seems to struggle a little bit. then when its running the first minute is nothing but high pitch screeching.. not like a loost belt ..

is it the drive shaft and or turbo ?

Anyone else getting loud noises during start up ?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:53 PM

I had the exact same thing. Plugged my car in night before. But the fuse at the wall outlet tripped, or something, because it didn't work. Car squealed starting up. Hell, I think the hydraulics in the power steering gelled up too. Just brutal.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

I get them for a few seconds when I have to leave the car outside even though it is plugged in. I also get them when going around corners if the car starts to slid... But I think this is the AWD pump screaming away as it tried to pump the jelly like fluid... Which actually just died on me today ... Damn -30 days! I knew I should have stayed in Florida
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:12 PM
Account Disabled

on the way home today i dont think i warmed the car up enough. there was a blue blip in the engine temp but when i exited on to deerfoot the revs went up then all of a sudden a limiter of some sort came on.. which leads me to think the clutches were slipping.. (MR) next time i go somewhere i'll be taking it easy until its fully warmed up. may also take the car in and ask them about that.. if the clutches are slipping it sounds like i'll be in need of a new transmission soon... thank god i haven't done much to the car.. no intake no exhaust just hard pipes, turbo inlet hose and ap .. we'll see i guess..

ps this morning it took quite some time to start the car.. my volvo used to start no problem in -40 raa raa vroom .. i always thought japaneese engines started best in cold temps.. guess not.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:34 PM

My 07 f150 let out a terrifying screech when I started it this morning. Thought it may have been a death knell.

It's odd becuase my SRT started right off and only had a slightly higher idle then usual... Must be because it's a neon =).

which one of you is in the Blue EVO X I saw a couple days ago at the petro-can on country hills?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack
My 07 f150 let out a terrifying screech when I started it this morning. Thought it may have been a death knell.

It's odd becuase my SRT started right off and only had a slightly higher idle then usual... Must be because it's a neon =).

which one of you is in the Blue EVO X I saw a couple days ago at the petro-can on country hills?
Did it have dual exhaust angled out like an HKS style and was it a GSR? If so I am going to guess it was Alex (alex the great)
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:40 PM

Same thing here! My car started but you should've heard that noise! High pitch grinding! Awful! And on Tuesday and Wednesday after driving the car for about 40 mins CEL came on! MAF sensor malfunction!
This type of weather is brutal on cars!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

wow you guys jut scared the **** out of me with those noises!! I was about to get in my evo but I guess not till tomorrow
And no it wasn't me on the petro Canada but there's is another guy with an octane blue mr that lives like 2 blocks away From me so I'm 100% sure it was him!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:28 PM
Account Disabled

my car dished out some codes today on the way home

c161f and p0234

first one is acd and second is over boost.. not really sure what to do about it.. maybe install the factory maps for 20psi..?

i'm going to clear them and pray that nothing has broken.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 04:35 PM

i used to have this problem on the first winter i had my 08 gsr. my car will start sounds like it's struggling then it'll rev up to 1.5k up and down for a sec then it'll turn off. after 4 days of that happening it threw an CEL on me so i just brought it to the dealership, they said it just needed the cold temp reflash no issues after that (fully covered by mitsu) my car is fully stock except for a UR catback. but i never had the high pitch screech though...
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bowrepublik
my car dished out some codes today on the way home

c161f and p0234

first one is acd and second is over boost.. not really sure what to do about it.. maybe install the factory maps for 20psi..?

i'm going to clear them and pray that nothing has broken.
Were you driving normally or boosting when that happened?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 04:55 AM
Account Disabled

i was driving somewhat normally.. merging on to deerfoot from air port road. the car infront of me was doing 60km/hr in the merge and people on deerfoot were doing 120 as usuall. so i stomped on the gas then bam fuel cut.. went easier and still passed the guy and got up to deerfoot speed.. then looked at the dash and saw the engine light.. then i used the cobb ap to read the codes.. one was a cut for the acd pump and one was the over boost.

after all this i love the car but i still miss my last two cars... if i had 4k i'd buy another 2003-2004 Elantra GT package 2.. bomb proof and decently quick for what it is. i would not buy another v70r but if someone gave me one id drive it to the end of time so practical and fast.. i still say their faster from 100km/hr to 200km/hr than an evo stock vs stock

last day of the cold for a bit so we'll see if anything else pops up.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 08:15 PM
Account Disabled

in that cold snap i averaged 32L/100km of fuel consumption and i only drove in normal auto mode . i tired to wait till the coolant temp was at 90 before pulled away from the curb. also most of the roads are 50,60km hr for my trip to work.. and its only about 13km each way.

thinking i might need a winter map for the cobb ap
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by bowrepublik
in that cold snap i averaged 32L/100km of fuel consumption and i only drove in normal auto mode . i tired to wait till the coolant temp was at 90 before pulled away from the curb. also most of the roads are 50,60km hr for my trip to work.. and its only about 13km each way.

thinking i might need a winter map for the cobb ap
Yeah. Winter map would be nice to have. I actually just rolled back to stock map for the time being.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:35 PM

Use synthetic oil specially in Calgary. I live in Calgary i have no problem strating with out noice at -40c. (2009 Lancer)

Quick Reply: <Calgary> Anyone else getting, Loud start up noises?