Notices

where to see the northern lights, north Toronto ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to see the northern lights, north Toronto ?

Hi People, im from Sydney Australia. Im travelling with my mrs who is from Prince Edward Island over to Toronto in April and just wondering how far north i have to go or the best places to see the northern lights. I understand it could be a long trip north of Toronto. But and advice would really be helpful...
Thanks.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:36 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as far as i know here in calgary atleast we only see the northern lights around solstace and equinox times.. or when the planet has the most solar wind.. It also can be based on solar flairs(sun spot radiation) from the sun. the last strongest flair was in 2003 of which ties in to having more aurora's than usual. also depending on the earths tilt at the time you'll also be able to see the aurora at a lower latitude.

As for toronto... i'm really not sure.. i would say that the solar wind would have to be very intense to see it at that latitude..

You'll want to travel to northern ontario or nunavut in order to see the Aurora (northern lights)

feel free to read more on the wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_%28astronomy%29

here's a link for the frequency of occurance, as well as the latitude of occurance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_..._magnetosphere

The whole concept of energy from the sun crashing in to our planet causing.. well basicly electricity. We should be harnessing this energy some how...