Notices

Buying first evo in ottawa

Old Aug 1, 2013, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying first evo in ottawa

I need an awd drive performance car for the winter so I'm selling my camaro and looking into buying an evo V. I have a few concerns I was hoping the community could assist me with though.

1. Getting parts for such a car in ottawa canada? If something should need to be replaced like an engine component or differential etc do I need to import the parts from japan or is there some sort of after market company that serves canada?

2. I would assume I can do my basic maintenance at somewhere like Canadian tire if I had to? (oil change, brake job sort of thing)? Is there any shop that specializes in jdm evos in ontario?

3. Is a RHD vehicle too troublesome for a daily driver?

I am also looking at a wrx sti as an alternative that I'm sure is alot simpler but the allure of the evo is quite strong.

Thanks all.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Give each car a try and see which you prefer. A car I like you may not.

The guys at Westboro subaru are pretty decent and there are a lot of subaru specific performance guys in the city. On the evo side if you go to kanata the guys at autovation are good with that sort of thing. You need good google-fu to figure out which parts cross to North American models.

If you're not heavily mechanically minded then I recommend sticking with a car that was sold here. There are headaches around getting an older car not sold here.

-Michael
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by hackish
Give each car a try and see which you prefer. A car I like you may not.

The guys at Westboro subaru are pretty decent and there are a lot of subaru specific performance guys in the city. On the evo side if you go to kanata the guys at autovation are good with that sort of thing. You need good google-fu to figure out which parts cross to North American models.

If you're not heavily mechanically minded then I recommend sticking with a car that was sold here. There are headaches around getting an older car not sold here.

-Michael
Hm, are my parts issues negated if I got an evo 8? I know they werent sold in canada but whenever I needed chevy parts the dealership was always able to order them from the usa if there werent any in canada.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 01:42 PM

For an Evo 8 you can easily get parts in USA or Canada. I usually order parts from USA since they are cheaper and I group things together to pick up.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZeRoMaX
For an Evo 8 you can easily get parts in USA or Canada. I usually order parts from USA since they are cheaper and I group things together to pick up.
I agree completely.. although it can be a pain for possible down time as no parts are really available in Canada like in the states. But its just part of owning an evo 8/9 in Canada.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by foxbear2277
I agree completely.. although it can be a pain for possible down time as no parts are really available in Canada like in the states. But its just part of owning an evo 8/9 in Canada.
Thats true enough. Has anyone imported one into canada lately or is there a standard list of things you usually need to change to make them legal in canada? I'm assuming I'll need to tinker a bit to get it to pass emissions.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MrShredz
Thats true enough. Has anyone imported one into canada lately or is there a standard list of things you usually need to change to make them legal in canada? I'm assuming I'll need to tinker a bit to get it to pass emissions.

One thing you should do since you live in the horrible emissioned controlled east of Canada.. If you're going to buy an Evo V.. You better be ready to pay 11-13k for one. Since you live in Ottawa you need to buy one that completely stock and super clean. Then you'll have no issues passing emissions. And the one law on vehicle importation/registration or safety is that - if its built the way it is from factory, then you don't need to change it. Like sidemarkers or headlights. That's why I recommend on buying one that's completely stock and untouched which can be had for 12k fully imported to BC. And I think its about $500 a province for cross Canada shipping via CP RAIL.

By the way, I've owned a few RHD cars and IMO I think its way better than LHD for DD. There's honestly no difference between RHD and LHD quality of driving.

Parts aren't as hard as you think to find. I used JAPPERFOMANCEPARTS or even the marketplace on Lancerregister. There are a few other sites out there that sell good JDM parts for early evo's such as Assaultech, but you can even use some engine parts from Evo 8's.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 09:47 AM

buying a used sports car is already a risky coin toss, why take more chance with an RHD. If you are gonna pay 13k for a RHD auctioned car from Japan with absolutely no history, you might as well spend a couple more thousand and get an LHD VIII.

as for parts, nothing like posting a WTB in the forums and get 5 replies the next day. parts availability and cost outweighs the cost of repairing RHDs.

emissions? pfft, put my catalytic converter back and and flash the car to stock.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:28 AM

I own an Evo IV in Canada and I had a lot of the same questions when I was importing. I will just touch on a few of things mentioned.

An Evo VIII is going to be a lot more expensive and a lot more of a problem in order to pass all the required inspections. As far as I know, you don't have to pass emissions on an imported vehicle that is more than 15 years old (nor do you have to pay duties and taxes) but that is here in Alberta and BC so I cant comment about Ontario. The only thing that you should need (provided the car is in sound mechanical condition) is to install daytime running lights. Where as on the VIII you will need that as well as to get kilometer based gauges and tinker with emissions.

You didn't specify if you would be buying the V locally (already imported) or if you would be importing from Japan. If it's local you can test drive and make sure all is in working order; no problems. If its imported and you are buying site unseen there will ALWAYS be some risk. Japanese auction sheets are great at showing exterior blemishes but don't mention mechanical things. With that being said, most japanese cars are very well maintained, have low mileage and they have much better climate/roads. I dont know anyone who has come across a serious dud (major/expensive issues) when importing.

You mentioned it being a winter car. Two issues. One, the body will be very prone to rust with out climate so take extra care. Two, there is no block heater so you would likely have to get one installed.

Finally, as for parts. They are not as bad as you would think, but care must be taken. Many parts for the engine are the same from the I-IV. Many parts for the exterior are the same as the Mirage (although the wide body style of the V kind of messes with that a bit). There are many shops in Canada that specialize in JDM cars and can get you parts. Right Drive (rightdrive.ca) is one of the bigest JDM importers in Canada and they are located in Ontario. There is also a large variety of websites that sell parts for these cars, there is also the buy/sell forums on here and other mitsubishi sites and there is Ebay. If you want OEM parts you are going to have to pay a premium because of all the shipping invloved. Mitsubishi dealerships can get you most things required for maintenance. As far as going to Canadian Tire. They can probably change oil and maybe a few other things. But the issue is that the car isnt in their computer system so they cant find the parts that fit correctly. Brake pads for example were a trial and error process for my mechanic.

Sorry for the long post.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Evo_Precision
I own an Evo IV in Canada and I had a lot of the same questions when I was importing. I will just touch on a few of things mentioned.

An Evo VIII is going to be a lot more expensive and a lot more of a problem in order to pass all the required inspections. As far as I know, you don't have to pass emissions on an imported vehicle that is more than 15 years old (nor do you have to pay duties and taxes) but that is here in Alberta and BC so I cant comment about Ontario. The only thing that you should need (provided the car is in sound mechanical condition) is to install daytime running lights. Where as on the VIII you will need that as well as to get kilometer based gauges and tinker with emissions.

You didn't specify if you would be buying the V locally (already imported) or if you would be importing from Japan. If it's local you can test drive and make sure all is in working order; no problems. If its imported and you are buying site unseen there will ALWAYS be some risk. Japanese auction sheets are great at showing exterior blemishes but don't mention mechanical things. With that being said, most japanese cars are very well maintained, have low mileage and they have much better climate/roads. I dont know anyone who has come across a serious dud (major/expensive issues) when importing.

You mentioned it being a winter car. Two issues. One, the body will be very prone to rust with out climate so take extra care. Two, there is no block heater so you would likely have to get one installed.

Finally, as for parts. They are not as bad as you would think, but care must be taken. Many parts for the engine are the same from the I-IV. Many parts for the exterior are the same as the Mirage (although the wide body style of the V kind of messes with that a bit). There are many shops in Canada that specialize in JDM cars and can get you parts. Right Drive (rightdrive.ca) is one of the bigest JDM importers in Canada and they are located in Ontario. There is also a large variety of websites that sell parts for these cars, there is also the buy/sell forums on here and other mitsubishi sites and there is Ebay. If you want OEM parts you are going to have to pay a premium because of all the shipping invloved. Mitsubishi dealerships can get you most things required for maintenance. As far as going to Canadian Tire. They can probably change oil and maybe a few other things. But the issue is that the car isnt in their computer system so they cant find the parts that fit correctly. Brake pads for example were a trial and error process for my mechanic.

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks to everyone who replied in the last few days.

The car would probably be purchased from carson exports in NS so I would have an opportunity to test drive if I made the trip to buy the car myself.

I'm starting to feel like I might as well buy an 04 sti because it will be my daily driver and then consider getting a jdm in the future when I can treat it as more of a secondary pleasure focused vehicle.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks to everyone who replied in the last few days.

The car would probably be purchased from carson exports in NS so I would have an opportunity to test drive if I made the trip to buy the car myself.

I'm starting to feel like I might as well buy an 04 sti because it will be my daily driver and then consider getting a jdm in the future when I can treat it as more of a secondary pleasure focused vehicle.
An Evo is far more reliable than an STi.. just letting you know.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by CeeWhizzle
In what way specifically? I'm not disagreeing just looking for more information on particular issues I should pay attention to.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

In what way specifically? I'm not disagreeing just looking for more information on particular issues I should pay attention to.

Well, IMO the only GOOD engine that Subaru has ever built, was the 22b. This is only found in the JDM Type R's and 98/99 jdm bugeyes I believe. The rest of the engines, the 2.0L Turbo EJK's like the old JDM GC8's are alright, but then all the newer engines I have noticed to get Rod knock, Blow piston rings and have turbo issues quite constantly unless you build the bottom end. Even the new 2011-2013 Sti's still are getting rod knock or blown piston rings. I have 4 friends with the newer 2011-2013 Sti's and 3 of them had to get new engines after 15,xxxkms because of blown pistons rings, then again one of them had to get ANOTHER engine replacement because of rod knock 900kms after the new engine.. It's just a mess. I was considering buying a newer 2012/13 sti.. but not anymore.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 09:22 AM

Well, IMO the only GOOD engine that Subaru has ever built, was the 22b. This is only found in the JDM Type R's and 98/99 jdm bugeyes I believe. The rest of the engines, the 2.0L Turbo EJK's like the old JDM GC8's are alright, but then all the newer engines I have noticed to get Rod knock, Blow piston rings and have turbo issues quite constantly unless you build the bottom end. Even the new 2011-2013 Sti's still are getting rod knock or blown piston rings. I have 4 friends with the newer 2011-2013 Sti's and 3 of them had to get new engines after 15,xxxkms because of blown pistons rings, then again one of them had to get ANOTHER engine replacement because of rod knock 900kms after the new engine.. It's just a mess. I was considering buying a newer 2012/13 sti.. but not anymore.
Good to know. I will definitely look into this issue more. Appreciate the tips.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 02:31 PM

I'm pretty sure that if it is his daily driver he won't be heavily modifying it or driving it consistently hard. And if that's the case then an STI will be plenty reliable. I only warn that most domestic WRX/STI have been beat on so be careful when buying.

Last edited by Evo_Precision; Aug 28, 2013 at 02:33 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying first evo in ottawa