Notices

Short Ram Intake and Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2004, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not really....however, I'm leaning towards an AEM cold air intake...gotta ask around b4 I make my final decision...the only concern of a CAI is the litte difference it makes to low end, but the higher hp increase is nice
Old Mar 13, 2004, 11:52 AM

How much of a power increase are you expecting to get with a CAI?
Old Mar 13, 2004, 12:12 PM

the dealership and store said a 10-15 hp....but I expect around 7-8 hp.....this would be about 2 hp above a SRI?
Old Mar 13, 2004, 12:15 PM

I wouldn't expect more than 2-3hp if that is your only modification. 5hp at the most but unlikely. 10-15 is just a big load of...
Old Mar 13, 2004, 03:26 PM

is moving the battery back a huge problem? Cuz i've been looking at the AEM intake pictures and the way the pipe is made looks kinda funny..angle wise.. Injen i know will fit well, but i've read on another thread that it may cracK? You guys have anything to say bout ths?
Old Mar 13, 2004, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

mine hasn't cracked....as for the aem piping, i don't think there is anything special you have to do to fit it in cuz it is basically the same as the injen one

hp wise, expect about 2-3 hp, but the most substantial bonus is from the smoother hp and torque curves with the cai...if you have driven your car hard a couple times and then you do it after the cai you will see what i mean
Old Mar 15, 2004, 06:41 PM

about short ram intakes....they only have weapon R in Toronto? I ask this guy for a price on RRM short ram and he's like wtf is that? lol
Old Mar 15, 2004, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

you can get more than weapon r you just have to look....and the only canadian retailer of rrm was lb performance in quebec, but from the other thread it looks as though they are gone...but it's cheaper to just order from the manufacturer or a supplier in the US anyway
Old Mar 16, 2004, 07:22 PM

I was considering fabricating my own - if you check around, you can get some 4" u-shaped mandrel bent piping for around $30, and then pick up some clamps from Canadian Tire and some (get this) plumbing supplies for the rubber fittings.

I've seen it done - nicely - for under $50. Polish it, paint it - do what YOU like! (much easier if short ram, but I've seen both done)

Isn't anyone that daring?
Old Mar 17, 2004, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

there have been lots of people that have gone the diy path and if you do a search you will find the threads about it...this can be done, but you have to find a mas adapter...read the posts and find out how they did it
Old Mar 25, 2004, 05:24 PM

if you look on the Injen web site . they have a dyno of a lancer with CAI on.. it's like 12hp increase
Old Mar 26, 2004, 02:26 PM

Increases are relative, and you never know what else was done. To increase the HP, they could be doing higher gear runs, or disconnecting accessories. You can never know. Honestly, I have a K&N cone on my car, and the difference is noticable (I drive a turbo--different from you NA guys), but I think the best bet for you guys would be to do just an SRI and maybe get a blockoff plate and/or vent your hood. Just a thought
Old Mar 27, 2004, 01:11 AM

Get a SRI. I currently have a CAI, and I don't think it makes much difference from an SRI.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 02:07 AM

itz alwayz better off gettin something from aem as they have the special powder coat that keeps the pipe cool even if your engine is hot..just tellin you an extra lil fact lancerko=)
Old Mar 27, 2004, 08:40 AM

Review Date
February 16, 2003

Overall Rating
1 of 5

Value Rating
1 of 5

Used product for
Less than 1 month

R Reviewed by: Steve
Model: 93
Price Paid: $187 at IMPORTSTUDIO.COM
Summary:
Bought it basically to replace the stock system since the stock pipe broke in half. Installed fairly easy but after two weeks, I noticed the filter fell off. The lip where the clamp goes broke off. Sent a message to IMPORTSTUDIO.COM and this is what they said.
"We would recommend you to contact Weapon*R tech at 650-877-8280 to see if
they can fit your technical problem.

Thank you,
Customer Service
ImportStudio.com"
Not impressed at all.

Strengths:
Um...okay.

Weaknesses:
Filter is crap. Universal bracket is okay for me but I can see how it would be very disappointing for others. Noisy....HISS! $186.98 for a thin piece of aluminum pipe, two small strips of aluminum to act as a bracket, and something to resemble a filter

Similar Products Used:
K&N

Quick Reply: Short Ram Intake and Cold Air Intake