Notices
View Poll Results: Will the EVO IX Reach Canada?
Sure! They know the faults and what to look out for now. IT\'S COMING!
42.86%
Maybe, They might not want to go through the hassle of R&D for different front end.
14.29%
Maybe, considering the financial situation it\'s not certain.
9.52%
No, they don\'t want to rupture the R.A. sales.
0%
No, there is no market for them here.
9.52%
I really have no damn clue wtf is going to happen, just hope/pray for the best!!!
23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

What are your thoughts on the next gen evo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2004, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope that's true....maybe then we can legalize EVOs 7 & 8 in Canada, since they should all be sharing the same CT9A chassis.
Old Apr 4, 2004, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

I dont know how the Evo couldnt sell in Canada. Subaru's are pretty popular from what I can tell. And those things are just fugly(compared to the Evo)
Old Apr 4, 2004, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

Dr. Fob: the front mount has nothing to do with it really, especially since we have other fmic cars in canada like the srt-4 and ptcruiser gt...the problem is the 3mph crash bar cuz canada'a reg's are 5mph...there are tons of threads about this already...the evo also doesn't have drl's and some child restraint kit for the back, both of which install in minutes...it's mostly the re-bar...as for the exhaust, that's fine...canada's laws are no more strict than cali and it passes there

definitely massive market here though, which is why i think it would be mitsu's demise if they didn't bring the 9 here...as for the skyline, it would be nice to see the R36 V-spec (not spec-v, that's a sentra!)...there is a g35 that comes awd i believe, i have to look up what the model extension is after the g35 part (might be an x, not entirely sure)
Old Apr 4, 2004, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

Dr Crash,

From what you're describing, it doesn't seem that the US-spec EVO is that much off from Canadian regulations. I guess I was mis-informed by other sources.

Do you suppose we can reinforce the subframe or bumper structure to meet the Canadian crash standards? If it's not too much of a pain, I'd much rather retrofit these parts and register my car in Ontario.
Old Apr 4, 2004, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

you're right it's not far off at all...i tried e-mailing the ministry of transportation asking them that if i upgraded the re-bar, certified it since i'm an engineeer, and crash tested it if they would let me license it and the reply i got was pretty much "NO WAY IN HELL"...so i'd like to go down to the ministry and show them who's boss
Old Apr 4, 2004, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

(hmm...do I really want to modify my car and crash-test it myself to show the government it's worthy for importation?)
Old Apr 5, 2004, 06:56 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

think the goverment would pay for the damages caused by the crash test seeing that you were doing it to show them that its safe. lol
Old Apr 5, 2004, 08:14 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

i found these pictures...hope you like
EVO IX concept
Old Apr 5, 2004, 08:24 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

http://www.lancerevoclub.org/index.shtml

http://carspyshots.proboards2.com/in...num=1078438429

Last edited by Danno; Apr 5, 2004 at 08:27 AM.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 02:41 PM

I do hope it does sell for the sake of MITSU...coz I heard these EVO'S are not cheap compared to the STI's. I heard they'r going at least 60k? Correct me if I'm wrong, at least I hope I'm wrong coz I want one too hehe.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 02:59 PM
i45
Evolving Member

Well, your sort of right.

The EVO's I believe should actually, technically be cheaper in a conversion cost with US to CDN Dollars, however it is 47-50k+ Canadian right now, for the dealers that are selling modded ones to fit the standards becuase of all the costs to convert it.

And as well duty/shipping fees, and other B.S. Plus, the dealer needs some income, too, as they actually buy the vehicle full price from other dealers in the U.S.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

actually dealers that wanted to try and sell the evo modded (which won't happen) were llisting them for $44k, but they weren't even NEW, they had 5k or 6k on them already...plus, it is WAY cheaper to buy it in the states and bring it over...conversion is only 1.32 right now so you can get an evo here for like $35k CDN
Old Apr 11, 2004, 03:09 PM

The problem isn't with the front mount, it's with the A/C condenser, which becomes punctured and spills coolant. As I've spelled out many times before, the Canadian laws say that there can be "No major mechanical failure" which includes an A/C puncture. As far as child restraints, and DRLs, honestly, that's something that's a piece of ****ing cake. DRLs can be retrofitted, and child restraints are not a problem.

It's not about the rebar needing to be reinforced, it's about the bumper collapsing in and puncturing the A/C. As far as it coming this fall, your dealership is way ahead of itself if it's expecting it's First EVO then. Mine still has NO idea when the first one is coming in, and neither does the DPSM (District Parts and Service Manager). Ralliart will be coming within the next 60 days though (Ralliart products, not the Lancer). In short--until you start seeing ads, or hear me saying "it'll be here soon!" Don't be expecting an EVO anytime soon.

It will be coming. There's no question. You just have to wait for the IX. Oh, and for those of you who were hoping th MR would make it up here? No joy yet.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Fob
The current Infiniti G35 is indeed the JDM Skyline, but it's a completely different animal compared to the previous R32, R33, and R34 generations. They featured the RB26DETT engine, a slick AWD drivetrain, and extensive modifications to enhance performance. If I'm not mistaken, the Infiniti G "35" merely refers to its 3.5-liter engine displacement, and not the continuation of the long-established racing heritage.
Just for distinction's sake, the Skyline GT-R was the legendary ATTESA-ETS & RB26DETT-equipped monster that most people associate with the name Skyline, however there are many different models (GTS, GTS-T, etc)

We do infact have true-blue skylines in the form of the G35's (the G35x even has ATTESA-ETS), and they are R35's. However there is no equivalent to the GT-R among the 35's that we now have, and the car everyone is hyped-up for will be the new GT-R in 2006.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Could they just import EVO VII instead of EVO VIII again..............

Quick Reply: What are your thoughts on the next gen evo