Notices

stage 2 feels slower than stage 1

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2012, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stage 2 feels slower than stage 1

I'm running stage 2 (turbo back and stock intake) on my 2011 gsr. I have an ETS intake and ets test pipe and catback on the car. I was running on stage 1 for a week cause I couldn't tune until my new wire came from cobb, my dog chewed through it. But I got the wires, tuned to stage 2 and the car doesn't feel as fast. On stage one after installing the test pipe the car seemed like it woke up from a nap. Was I over boosting possibly? Idk. It was definatley running rich being on the stage 1 tune, now it doesn't seem to be on stage 2 which is good. But the power isn't there like it was. Anyone know what could nbe up? Btw I didn't remove the boost pill after going to stage 2 like it says, honestly cause I have no idea what that is lol.....
Old Aug 8, 2012, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by SeanM505
I'm running stage 2 (turbo back and stock intake) on my 2011 gsr. I have an ETS intake and ets test pipe and catback on the car. I was running on stage 1 for a week cause I couldn't tune until my new wire came from cobb, my dog chewed through it. But I got the wires, tuned to stage 2 and the car doesn't feel as fast. On stage one after installing the test pipe the car seemed like it woke up from a nap. Was I over boosting possibly? Idk. It was definatley running rich being on the stage 1 tune, now it doesn't seem to be on stage 2 which is good. But the power isn't there like it was. Anyone know what could nbe up? Btw I didn't remove the boost pill after going to stage 2 like it says, honestly cause I have no idea what that is lol.....
Do some logging. I've got similar mods and when I flashed to stage 2 I wasn't hitting boost targets. I took the pill out and all was right in the world again.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
So you dont follow the instructions about having to remove the boost pill on the stage 2 tune, and your having problems? Shocker..

How about search on Cobbs website and learn how to take the boost pill out..
Old Aug 8, 2012, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by ugakirk
So you dont follow the instructions about having to remove the boost pill on the stage 2 tune, and your having problems? Shocker..

How about search on Cobbs website and learn how to take the boost pill out..
Not everyone needs to remove the pill to hit boost targets, I'm seeing 25-26psi with the pill in. It only needs to be removed if you are not achieving those target values. Cobb actually suggests that you log with it in first before removing it. It does seem however like you are underboosting so you might want to do some logging to see what's going on then try removing the pill if that is the case.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by MivecAddict
Not everyone needs to remove the pill to hit boost targets, I'm seeing 25-26psi with the pill in. It only needs to be removed if you are not achieving those target values. Cobb actually suggests that you log with it in first before removing it. It does seem however like you are underboosting so you might want to do some logging to see what's going on then try removing the pill if that is the case.
That's what I did. Flashed stage 2 and logged with pill IN. I only hit 20psi. I then took the pill out and hit 24psi in high heat and humidity. Knock is under control so all is good. To the OP, logging is your friend.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Just went stage 2 after the TP and CBE install. Everything runs fine but it's only boosting to 22-23 PSI max with the pill removed.

It's weird because Stage 1 was boosting to 26 PSI with the pill in and pulled much harder IMO..It's almost like the target boost was flip flopped on the maps...

No real biggie because I'm getting a real tune on Monday but kinda disappointed in the OTS maps.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:19 PM

I removed the boost pill, I'm feeling more power. But still doesn't feel as fast as stage one... I don't get it
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

I also noticed stage 2 map boost lower than stage 1 map,
my stage 1 map I boost 26 pSI stage 2 with HFC only 22 PSI with the restrictor pill removed. I was trying to find out who have the same issue too,
my car is 2012 GSR.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

I'm curious which map versions are you all using, the betas? Switching from the 1.08 Stage 1 to the 2.0 Beta was a huge jump in power and boost, going from 21-22 to 24-25. I'm wondering if a non protuned Stage II is worth it.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

running version 2.01 stock box with a ets intake and turbo back exhaust and hitting 26psi. Where are you guys looking for you peak boost at? should be in 4th.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed when I switched from a Stage 1 to a Stage 2 map... I got more power but it comes later. And sometimes there can be a lag before it kicks in.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

if you aren't hitting the target boost, a boost leak test might help find issues. I know after my intake install i wasn't getting about 22psi, i went re tightened everything and bam, back to 26psi
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MisterHappy
if you aren't hitting the target boost, a boost leak test might help find issues. I know after my intake install i wasn't getting about 22psi, i went re tightened everything and bam, back to 26psi
I will definitely agree. You need to make sure your vehicle is mechanically sound before trying trying to diagnose the tune. If the boost leak passes and you are not hitting target boost, I recommend removing your boost pill.

-Steve
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

It is definitely not boost leak, because Currently in NY we are 35 F and my stage 2 93 map with restrictor pill removed only hitting 23 PSI MAX. And for some reason I always felt my car was slower after stage 2 map so today I flashed back to stage 1 93 MAP and
POWER is BACK STRONG!!!!!!! but boost up to 27 PSI this is on a 2012 GSR with just HFC installed. Now I am using Stage 1 91 ACN because temp is dropping kind of worrying about Fuel cut, even stage 1 91 ACN I am seeing max boost at 25 PSI.
But the point is stage 1 map is actually faster than stage 2 map because BOOST is much higher than stage 2.

Cobb Please FIX the Map for 2011 and 2012 EVO GSR

Last edited by 3000GT-GTO; Nov 28, 2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3000GT-GTO
It is definitely not boost leak, because Currently in NY we are 35 F and my stage 2 93 map with restrictor pill removed only hitting 23 PSI MAX. And for some reason I always felt my car was slower after stage 2 map so today I flashed back to stage 1 93 MAP and
POWER is BACK STRONG!!!!!!! but boost up to 27 PSI this is on a 2012 GSR with just HFC installed. Now I am using Stage 1 91 ACN because temp is dropping kind of worrying about Fuel cut, even stage 1 91 ACN I am seeing max boost at 25 PSI.
But the point is stage 1 map is actually faster than stage 2 map because BOOST is much higher than stage 2.

Cobb Please FIX the Map for 2011 and 2012 EVO GSR
And you just said all you have installed is a HFC. If you read on the site, the requirements for stage 2 are a full TURBO BACK exhaust. Downpipe-HFC/Testpipe-Cat-back exhaust. Might be seeing lack of power because the map is designed for a car with a full exhaust.

Quick Reply: stage 2 feels slower than stage 1