Notices

2014 Cobb MIVEC irregularity

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2014, 08:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Cobb MIVEC irregularity

Just got our 2014 EVO X. Added the Cobb Ap v3. The 2013 is the ROM used as per Cobb which is OK. Problem arrives after a flash. The Exhaust cam reads in a +\- 1.0, regardless of map targets. You MUST reset your Ecu again following a flash. Then you will see the requested-10 -18 values that are in your MIVEC maps on the exhaust side.

So the exhaust cam will effectively run it neutral until you clear some logic out with a secondary reset. Not a reload of the map, only a simple reset

cheers, see you on the track soon

john
Old Mar 3, 2014, 07:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John,

This is not something that we have ran into or anyone else has reported. We just tested it on our car here and everything appears to be functioning normally. I would make sure the firmware on the AP is up to date. If you still can't get it to work correctly, please give us a call or PM me.

-Eric
Old Mar 9, 2014, 07:36 AM
Former Sponsor

I wanted to follow up on this topic. There was a TSB...http://www.mitsubishiautomotiveparts...sb?dpt=3....on the P0016 codes.

This car has 300 miles and is set up as a stage 2 with cams. The first set were Kelford A. The break in procedure was followed and the car was driven home. The next day the code came up. We took the car into the shop and checked timing. Everything is spot on. I then reset the MIL and continued to drive the vehicle. It cam back and I also noticed the odd issue with MIVEC and rest as described above. I then decided it may be a cam irregularity with the Kelfords... So I swapped out for a new set of GSC Stg1. I repeated the break in...triple checked the install and drove the car.

I will say the GSC have a much better feel. No hesitation...MIVEC hits all of the table targets...no idle issue...Trims are all +/-5%...everything feels terrific. So after a day of driving...the code came back.

That is when I checked with the TSB history and saw this issue. I am thinking it is a programming issue. Is it possible Cobb is using an older ROM for the base map on the AP, as there is no dedicated 2014 AP? I have the latest firmware installed and the car is running flawlessly otherwise.

Any help would be appreciated.

John
Old Mar 14, 2014, 07:44 PM
JPZ

Hmm this thread has me interested as i took in my 2014 GSR for that ECU update about 2 weeks ago and have been looking to pick up an APv3 very soon.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 05:03 AM
Former Sponsor

UPDATE

Took the car to th dealer to check out this code. Tech verified that the timing was on the money. This had confirmed we have a calibration level discrepancy. The tech used the MUT tool to relearn the timing chain parameters related to length/position. I had to be sure to uninstall the APv3 prior to the work. Mitsubishi said there are some finite differences on the 2014, and maybe this is a consideration for a cam/spring install moving forward.

So, as of now...45+ miles and counting, code is gone and car is driving great. Actually, tech felt it was the smoothest Evo X he had driven to date. GSC S1 cams are a great option.iw

As an aside, many people mention air in the MIVEC solenoids as a potential culprit. This is exceptionally unlikely. If you are seeing P0016/0017 check the alignment and if it is good...you may be in for a factory relearn. The AP should not effect this parameter when reinstalling,

Good luck guys. I also wanted to say that Cobb(Chris) really did a great job with customer support. Communication was top notch.

Thanks.

JS