Notices

Cobb AccessPort EVO X how to Data log for Etunes

Old Sep 7, 2016, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Cobb AccessPort EVO X how to Data log for Etunes

Just wanted to share some helpful information for all you EVO X, Ralliart Cobb Accessport users out there. For the full article with log examples and wide band o2 setup/wiring details check out the blog Mitsubishi AccessPort Data logging.

Taking and reviewing a good data log is the best way to "check up" on the health of your Mitsubishi. Ensuring all sensors are reading correctly, all fuel trims are within spec and the ecu isn't trying to pull out any timing is VERY important part of owning an EVO X/Ralliart.

V3 Cobb AccessPort Mitsubishi EVO X and Ralliart Parameters: Click Here for the 11 parameters most tuners will require for Etune services. 11 parameters average 7-8hz logging speed.

Engine Parameter acronyms and description:

Accel Pos. – The actual position of the Accelerator Pedal as measured at your foot.
Active Map – The current Switchable Map slot in use.
Baro. Pressure – Barometric Pressure.
Battery Voltage – Battery Voltage.
Boost – Relative Manifold Pressure (Absolute pressure less Barometric pressure).
Boost Corr. – Boost Error (Actual Boost less Target Boost).
Calculated Tq. – ECU calculated torque output.
Coarse WGDC – Coarse wastegate duty cycle (Passive). (GSR/MR Only)
Coarse WGDC Rq. – Coarse wastegate duty cycle request (Passive). (GSR/MR Only)
Coolant Temp. – Engine coolant temperature.
Exh. Cam. Adv. – Variable exhaust camshaft retard phasing position (Actual).
Exh. Cam. Targ. – Exhaust cam advance (Target).
Fine WGDC Rq. – Fine wastegate duty cycle request (Reactive).
Gear - Current – Current gear as reported by the TCM. (SST Only)
Gear - Next – Next gear to be used as reported by the TCM. (SST Only)
Ign. Advance – This is the final commanded ignition timing after all correction and adjustments.
Inj. Duty Cycle – Duty cycle measurement of fuel injector use.
Inj. Pul. Width – Total open time of fuel injector.
Int. Adv. Targ. – Intake cam advance (Target).
Int. Air Temp. – Measurement of intake air temperature at the MAF location.
Int. Cam. Adv. – Variable intake camshaft advance phasing position (Actual).
Knock Sum – An incremental counter based on knock sensor feedback. A count of three will result in 1° of timing pulled from the ignition map.
LTFT Cruise – Long Term Fuel Trim during cruising conditions.
LTFT Idle – Long Term Fuel Trim during idle conditions.
LTFT Used – Long Term Fuel Trim currently being used.
Learned Knock – A percentage used to determine crossover points between High/Low octane tables.
Load – This is the calculated load used to reference various table look-ups.
Load Ref. Calc – A blended version of Calculated Load based on MAF/MAP sensor calculations.
MAF – Mass air flow sensor output in grams per second of air flow by mass.
MAF Calcs – Calculated Load based on MAF sensor calculations.
MAF Voltage – Mass air flow sensor output voltage.
MAP Calcs – Calculated Load based on MAP sensor calculations.
Manifold Temp. – Manifold Air Temperature Sensor output.
RPM – Engine speed in revolutions per minute.
Reported TQ to SST – Torque Reported by the ECU to the TCM for SST actions. (SST Only)
SST Cal. Tq. Multiplier – Allowed torque percent for SST. Will drop during shifting. (SST Only)
SST Clutch Status – Displays the clutch/de-clutch status. (SST Only)
STFT – Short Term Fuel Trim currently being applied.
Speed Ratio – The ratio of engine RPM to wheel speed.
Throttle Angle – The throttle position as determined by the Request Torque tables.
Tip in Transient – A derivative of throttle position during engagement of the accelerator pedal.
Tip out Transient – A derivative of throttle position during disengagement of the accelerator pedal.
Vehicle Speed – Speed reported by vehicle speed sensor.
WB AEM AFR – Log from the rear O2 input to ECU from AEM UEGO O2 sensor.
WB LC-1 AFR – Log from the rear O2 input to ECU from LC-1 Wideband O2 sensor.
WGDC Corr. – Wastegate duty cycle correction applied.

WB AFR set up/wiring:

You only need to select 1 WB AFR parameter (to match your wide band o2 gauge/controler) Before you can log your wideband o2 sensor you will need to connect the 0-5v signal from the wide band AFR controler/gauge to the rear o2 sensor input. This replaces the otherwise useless rear o2 sensor data with the VERY important wide band Air Fuel Ratio data.

Opening and reviewing your Cobb AP data log in MS Excel

Once you have opened the data log the first step to easy reveiw is to "freeze" the top row so that as you scroll through the log you can still see the sensor name/data name in the top row. **NOTE** you can see in the log below the wide band AFR (AEM) data is no correct, this is caused because the signal wire has NOT yet been wired to the rear o2 sensor input.

More details and tips coming soon.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Full write up on how to wire in your wide band AFR gauge for easy data logging 100% through the accessport. No laptop or special software needed, now that the public version of the "tuner" software is gone this is by far the best way for the AP owner to log AFR without any hassle.

Cobb AP wide band AFR wiring and data logging for EVO X and Ralliart

Logging wideband AFR data while tuning an EVO X is a must! Here is a simple and easy solution for all EVO X & Ralliart owners using the Cobb AccessPort with an AEM or Innovate wide band o2 gauge. In a nut shell we are taking the 0-5 volt wideband AFR data and wiring it to the factory ECU input that was originally used for the rear o2 sensor signal. (The rear o2 sensor signal/data is not helpful while tuning so we replace this with the VERY useful wideband AFR data).
The following users liked this post:
villajer (Oct 11, 2016)
Old Oct 4, 2016, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

Just added a nice little section to explain how NOT to take data logs after seeing some careless parts install/logging from a recent Etune.

Below is a BAD/DANGEROUS data log, the owner of this car is NOT following data log instructions that are clearly posted.

The log below is an early log from an EVO X with the rev limiter set to 4500rpm to ensure the engine can not be driven hard until low load/rpm ranges can be logged and everything is verfied to be working correctly and running smooth/safe. As clearly stated on the Mitsubishi Etune page here: Cobb AP Mitsubishi Etune these logs should be taken from: "Low throttle (~ 20% throttle from idle to 4000 rpm)**holding throttle steady is the most important factor here, do not change the throttle position during the log.**" The log below you can clearly see the engine is being held above the 4500rpm limiter for over 2 seconds with the throttle still held open to ~ 17-24%. The correct and SAFE way to take this log is exactly as described on the Mitsubishi Etune page linked and quoted above, ending the log and lifting OFF the throttle 100% as soon as you reach the uper RPM limit of the requested log is a VERY important part of taking safe responsible logs for your Etune. Hitting a rev limiter is ok BUT should be avoided and the engine should NEVER be held on or above the rev limiter.

In the log below you can also clearly see the "knock sum" is 0 and the AFR is richening up nicely into the mid 12s as the engine transitions into low boost and moves up the rpm range.

Know your limits

Above and beyond taking good/safe responsible logs it is just as important to ensure all aftermarket or OEM parts are installed correcetly and working as they should. If you are not familiar with installing parts (mechanic work) or doing basic wiring for something like a wideband DO NOT guess and check to try and figure something out! If there is any question at all STOP what you are doing and start making calls to schedule an appointment to have someone who understands what they are doing install your parts correctly. Here is a great example of this type of issue that should NEVER come into play, direct quote from a customer trying to wire his AEM wide band: "We pulled out the instructions missed a ground wire will set it up tomorrow and be 100% ready I'll log the rest tomorrow and we can get the tune rolling": Just the simple fact there was an attempt to install/wire the wideband without having the manufactures instructions/wiring diagram on hand is a good sign/example of why this person/s should NOT be trying to work on the car.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tunermt
Full write up on how to wire in your wide band AFR gauge for easy data logging 100% through the accessport. No laptop or special software needed, now that the public version of the "tuner" software is gone this is by far the best way for the AP owner to log AFR without any hassle.

Thanks! This is what I've been looking for. I've searched the internet and only found installations for either gauged systems or to a serial connection. Just a couple of questions from a noob though:

1. Do I have to buy the UEGO without gauge, or the X-line series of wideband? Or it doesn't matter?

2. Do I have to do any more special wiring (taps) to power the wideband sensor? I don't exactly know how the factory wiring for the sensor comes out of the box.

3. Do I need to inactivate the stock sensor if I'm leaving it on the car? How can I do this, via Access Tuner Race?

4. Can I just buy the replacement sensor part #: 30-2004 instead of the full kit?

Last edited by villajer; Oct 12, 2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Logging wideband AFR data while tuning an EVO X is a must! Here is a simple and easy solution for all EVO X & Ralliart owners using the Cobb AccessPort with an AEM or Innovate wide band o2 gauge. In a nut shell we are taking the 0-5 volt wideband AFR data and wiring it to the factory ECU input that was originally used for the rear o2 sensor signal. (The rear o2 sensor signal/data is not helpful while tuning so we replace this with the VERY useful wideband AFR data).
Excellent write up!

I just have a question as I'm a little confused on what hardware I require to properly log A/F on my Access Port v3.

The guide in your link above suggests getting an AEM wideband Digital uego or AEM wideband fail safe gauges.

Then in step 5 it states "Key on AccessPort connect to the car go into the data logging parameters list on your AccessPort and select the correct WB afr option to match your Wideband gauge, IE: AEM or Innovate"

My question is why would I need to buy an AEM gauge to monitor A/F when the Access Port can do this? Isn't that redundant? Is there a solution to not have to use a second A/F gauge and just use the Access Port to monitor/log A/F?

Last edited by .Adam; Oct 12, 2016 at 06:39 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by .Adam
Excellent write up!

I just have a question as I'm a little confused on what hardware I require to properly log A/F on my Access Port v3.

The guide in your link above suggests getting an AEM wideband Digital uego or AEM wideband fail safe gauges.

Then in step 5 it states "Key on AccessPort connect to the car go into the data logging parameters list on your AccessPort and select the correct WB afr option to match your Wideband gauge, IE: AEM or Innovate"

My question is why would I need to buy an AEM gauge to monitor A/F when the Access Port can do this? Isn't that redundant? Is there a solution to not have to use a second A/F gauge and just use the Access Port to monitor/log A/F?

The stock EVO or ralli art does not have a "wide band" o2 sensor. Using a wide band o2 sensor is the only way to get an accurate reading of the engines AFR.

The article about adding a wide band tells you how to add the AFR data to the oem mitsu ecu which intern can then be seen and logged through the cobb accessport.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by villajer
Thanks! This is what I've been looking for. I've searched the internet and only found installations for either gauged systems or to a serial connection. Just a couple of questions from a noob though:

1. Do I have to buy the UEGO without gauge, or the X-line series of wideband? Or it doesn't matter?

2. Do I have to do any more special wiring (taps) to power the wideband sensor? I don't exactly know how the factory wiring for the sensor comes out of the box.

3. Do I need to inactivate the stock sensor if I'm leaving it on the car? How can I do this, via Access Tuner Race?

4. Can I just buy the replacement sensor part #: 30-2004 instead of the full kit?

in a nut shell: You need the a full wide band o2 kit including controller and sensor. This is then installed just like the manufactures instructions explain (included with the wideband).
Then when you want to add the AFR data to your Accessport display/logger you simply wire the 0-5 volt output from the wide band AFR controller or gauge into the Mitsubishi's rear o2 sensor input. (again this is all laid out very clear in the article.) If your not comfortable with wiring I highly suggest letting a local professional do the install/wiring.

Hit up Alex at Brewed Motors 888-290-3213 and he will get you everything you need at the cheapest prices, he always helps out anyone i send his way real nice like.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the input guys. I think I just misunderstood in thinking that you had to install a gauge to make this work. From what I've been reading you can use the Innovate LC-2 unit that comes with the wideband sensor and wire that up so the access port will read accurate A/F data. I just don't know I'd this is fact or not as I have yet to see any instructions for this. I'm fine with wiring as long as I have instructions.

Tunermt: So all I would need to do then is install the LC-2 until from their install instructions and then wire the 0-5 volt output from the LC-2 unit to the rear o2 sensor? Then simply turn on the A/F gauge on the Accessport and all is good?

Last edited by .Adam; Oct 16, 2016 at 07:21 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by .Adam
Thanks for the input guys. I think I just misunderstood in thinking that you had to install a gauge to make this work. From what I've been reading you can use the Innovate LC-2 unit that comes with the wideband sensor and wire that up so the access port will read accurate A/F data. I just don't know I'd this is fact or not as I have yet to see any instructions for this. I'm fine with wiring as long as I have instructions.

Tunermt: So all I would need to do then is install the LC-2 until from their install instructions and then wire the 0-5 volt output from the LC-2 unit to the rear o2 sensor? Then simply turn on the A/F gauge on the Accessport and all is good?
here is the link for the wide band wiring/install and yes just like you described. https://brewedmotors.com/blog/evo-x-...obb-accessport

As for the LC2, as long as the voltage vs lambda conversion is the same as the LC1 it will work. The problem comes when you try to use a wideband o2 that has different Voltage vs Lambda values. As of now Cobb has only included the correct calibration tables for the AEM digital Uego (no X series) and the LC1.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

full wide band o2 to ECU wiring details on the link in my last post.

evo x wide band o2 wiring for Cobb accessport. brewed tuned
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

here is the link for the wide band wiring/install and yes just like you described. https://brewedmotors.com/blog/evo-x-...obb-accessport

As for the LC2, as long as the voltage vs lambda conversion is the same as the LC1 it will work. The problem comes when you try to use a wideband o2 that has different Voltage vs Lambda values. As of now Cobb has only included the correct calibration tables for the AEM digital Uego (no X series) and the LC1.
I just assumed that the LC2 was better because it was newer I've actually read that it's harder to calibrate than the LC1.

I honestly dont care what unit I go with as long as it can be wired to allow the access port to accurately read A/F so I don't have to have anther A/F gauge installed

If Cobb supports the LC1 then I'd go with that
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:34 PM

After following your wiring instructions, is the accessport completely ready to datalog with the wideband? Does the rear O2 need to be deactivated somehow?

I'm worried the map will still be looking for the rear O2, and throw a code if it's disconnected.
Thanks
Old Mar 15, 2017, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

sorry for the delay,
Yes it is best to de activate the rear o2 however some cars will still trigger another rear o2 sensor trouble code.
On cars that still throw a trouble code I normally leave the WB o2 connected/logging through the AP/ECU while tuning and then return the rear o2 sensor circuit to normal after tuning/logging. Of course if you need to log/tune you'll have to re attach the WB. (not required on all cars AND i'm sure you could easily wire up something to keep from triggering the trouble code and leave the WB o2 connected through the rear o2 full time.)

Easiest solution would be for Cobb to just add the rest of the rear o2 sensor trouble codes to the software so we could simply deactivate the rear o2 100%
**email cobb request this! they record the number of requests for new features and when they get enough boom firmware update with what you need
Old Jul 8, 2017, 02:59 PM

Hi guys,
Sorry to bump an old thread but i have a problem, i connected as per instructions, yellow wire to white from WB and orange wire to ground. The AP seems reading correct AFR same as the gauge, but now the car popped 2 codes. P2252 & p0037. I have stage 3 OTS tune for now. What did i do wrong? I read in another thread that if i disconnected the ground wire the codes will go away but the reading will be .5 off, haven't done it yet. Your help would be much appreciated.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 05:30 AM
Evolving Member

I've noticed some cars will throw those codes and others won't. As of the moment no way to deactivate in Cobb BUT if you call them and ask nicely they might add to the next update!

Until then the best option is to make a sub harness to plug in and log the wide band o2 and then when your done just re connect the stock rear o2 and clear the codes.... not ideal but works well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cobb AccessPort EVO X how to Data log for Etunes