Notices
Discussion / Rumors The rumored Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution XI. .What have you heard? What do you think?

"Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2012, 02:03 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
Notice the phrase "you surrounded yourself". Why don't you surround yourself with an evo community

Are you really saying the 8 and 9 was easier to modify than the X? Give me a break. Once again you are talking without evidence. The X has proven itself ten times over that it takes mods just as well.
I have been around the evos and the community a little longer than you anticipated bubba ! Which gives me the right to choose my words with accuracy. Owning an evo IX for years and modifying it, working with Dsm's, evo 7s all the way to Xs can teach you alittle bit more than internet reading

If you really think the pre 10th gens were not simpler to mod you sir have lost credibility there is no arguing that fact. You read the web and I will continue to wrench on cars.

Lets do a simple count of blown 4B11s vs 4G63s, let's try an do an O2 housing swap on the X, let's swap the cams on the X let's do a turbo swap on the X. Not to mention tje fact that I have a power limit on the MR SST tranny.

Some of us vendors do care about trying to fix what mitsu failed to fix, which we are working on. We are not saying 4G63 is thing of the past.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by apagan01
If the petition was to revive the evo 8 and 9 platforms, or an offshoot of them I assure you 80% percent of the community would sign it. Not to mention all the old timers that had left or just detached themselves from the community since the 10s came out, we would see many of them come back.

I look around me and look at how much of an impact the 8s and 9s had on the aftermarkets businesses it was amazing, this is simply because those previouse generations were easilly modifiable ect, notice that shops did not pay much attention to the 10s, everyone I sorounded myself with did not go crazy about the 10 and are not crazy about a similar car.

Keep the hybrid nonsense, give us back the 4G63 rock solid engine, with a platform that we can play with like we could do with the RS and GSRs
I have the utmost respect for you, both for what you have done with your Evo at the track and your selling of Amsoil. However, to continue this worn out debate over whether the 8/9 vs. X is better is just getting old, and worse, it is divisive.

Would I love for Mitsubishi to reoffer the IX? Yes. But, it ain't gonna happen. The 4G63 with its closed deck is more costly to produce and it cannot meet stricter emissions' standards. As it is, Mitsubishi has done nothing to the X from 2008 to present and the 2013 will carry on exactly like 2012 and will be dropping the 4B11T in 2014. Mitsubishi is cutting costs just to stay afloat and their priorities are not with an Evo.

The X has a new following, of which I am a part of. I have noticed at the shop that I go to that 8/9 owners are more insular and certainly do not offer the hand of friendship to a X owner. Funny, this same thing happened when I got a 2007 Honda Civic Si. The guys with EG and EK hatches with B motors would not associate with those of us who had the newer K engine and larger platforms. Their argument was exactly the same as yours. They said the B motor was better supported by the aftermarket and had the same layout as the 4G63.

The hybrid is here to stay, no getting around it. Audi just won Lemans handily with their E-tron R18 turbo V6 diesel with flywheel hybrid powering the front wheels. Toyota had a gasoline hybrid that sounded crazy on just the electric motor when leaving the pits. When the gas engine started up at the end of the pit straight, it sounded like the Batmobile. Just sick.

BMW is working on a diesel hybrid that could make 400 hp with electric assist. Imagine a car that can run alone on just electric power that could be coupled with a diesel turbo. Massive amounts of torque and power that could rival the 4G63 and 4B11T. Hybrids are in F1, have come to sports cars and have gone mainstream America. Rather than live in the past, we need to face the future. It is what it is and you or I will not change that.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:22 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh don't missread me I like the X, I would surelly get a GSR.

I think mitsu can surelly improve on.the 4G and offer a better MPG car there.

Originally Posted by SamsonEvoX
I have the utmost respect for you, both for what you have done with your Evo at the track and your selling of Amsoil. However, to continue this worn out debate over whether the 8/9 vs. X is better is just getting old, and worse, it is divisive.

Would I love for Mitsubishi to reoffer the IX? Yes. But, it ain't gonna happen. The 4G63 with its closed deck is more costly to produce and it cannot meet stricter emissions' standards. As it is, Mitsubishi has done nothing to the X from 2008 to present and the 2013 will carry on exactly like 2012 and will be dropping the 4B11T in 2014. Mitsubishi is cutting costs just to stay afloat and their priorities are not with an Evo.

The X has a new following, of which I am a part of. I have noticed at the shop that I go to that 8/9 owners are more insular and certainly do not offer the hand of friendship to a X owner. Funny, this same thing happened when I got a 2007 Honda Civic Si. The guys with EG and EK hatches with B motors would not associate with those of us who had the newer K engine and larger platforms. Their argument was exactly the same as yours. They said the B motor was better supported by the aftermarket and had the same layout as the 4G63.

The hybrid is here to stay, no getting around it. Audi just won Lemans handily with their E-tron R18 turbo V6 diesel with flywheel hybrid powering the front wheels. Toyota had a gasoline hybrid that sounded crazy on just the electric motor when leaving the pits. When the gas engine started up at the end of the pit straight, it sounded like the Batmobile. Just sick.

BMW is working on a diesel hybrid that could make 400 hp with electric assist. Imagine a car that can run alone on just electric power that could be coupled with a diesel turbo. Massive amounts of torque and power that could rival the 4G63 and 4B11T. Hybrids are in F1, have come to sports cars and have gone mainstream America. Rather than live in the past, we need to face the future. It is what it is and you or I will not change that.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SamsonEvoX
In memory of the late Rodney King.....Cant we all just get along?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it looks good and has the driving performance of an evo from the last few gens I'd be good with it.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

The 4G63 had a good run. It's a great engine that will go down in the history books but times change and the world needs better fuel economy to survive. Diesel/Hybrid is the future like it or not if you want a full sized sedan or SUV. If you like or can live with a subcompacts the small turbochargd four cylinder will still be around for some time.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kendogg
In memory of the late Rodney King.....Cant we all just get along?
Touche. Well said!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by njboy
the 4g63 had a good run. It's a great engine that will go down in the history books but times change and the world needs better fuel economy to survive. Diesel/hybrid is the future like it or not if you want a full sized sedan or suv. If you like or can live with a subcompacts the small turbochargd four cylinder will still be around for some time.
+1
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4g63 stands in ranks of legendary automotive engines(WRC wins, automobile superlatives), for 40 years of reliable running there had to be time to say goodbye to this powerhouse.
First todays car industry has different view than in those of '70's(when it was made), 80's, 90's: its no longer point of building reliable, heck every major manufacturer can do that, but in earning money thru aftersales and other. Mitsubishi would spend even more money on making 4g63 eco, but it will not pay off:reliable consitution, huge number of interchangeable parts, frankly mitsubishi will be at loss with the engine with every new set of eco standards, it was cheaper to sell the license to Chinese(look for ALUMINUM block 4g63 @google/wiki) and made earning thru its heritage than to keep it running. 4B engines are not bad, they are actually good, but for some they are simply not good enough to 4g63, first they were made of hyundai block(IMMA LET YOU ROLL IN A HYUNDAI!?) and made from joint venture of 3 manufacturers to cut the costs, imo its still more reliable than its twin brothers and better than most of what todays car industry can offer.
Surely 4b11 can't be bulletproof to HP tuning as 4g63, it may not be as that much reliable as 4g63, no you cannot interchange 2.4l block, but its still a good engine to continue on the EVO name, if there was some other option I think it wouldn't be as good as it. 4B is good for corporation goals, but not for enthusiasts, thats all I have to say.
As for diesel-hybrid sportscar, I think it will 3-5 years too early@2014.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:58 PM

i prefer to use 92 octane on my evo9
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bchu1991
i prefer to use 92 octane on my evo9
I rather deprive starving children from eating corn, and use E85 to help me gain 100hp.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by selp
I rather deprive starving children from eating corn, and use E85 to help me gain 100hp.
Nice!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Found some quotations about change that somehow seem appropriate, both for the Evo VIII/IX guys and the X guys as well:

He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery. ~Harold Wilson

If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it. ~Mary Engelbreit

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. ~Author unknown, commonly misattributed to Charles Darwin

The bamboo that bends is stronger than the oak that resists. ~Japanese Proverb

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. ~Reinhold Niebuhr

I grew up in the 50's and 60's. I got to see the greatest moment in automotive history: The Muscle Cars. From about 1964 to 1971, dealers and the streets of America were awash in fast cars. Corvettes, Big Block Camaros, Boss Mustangs, Hemi Mopars, Fast Goats, 442's and even AMC marvels like the AMX and Javelin. Imagine when emissions standards were imposed on the cars back in 1971. Compression went down and so did performance. Then, in 1975, they introduced catalytic converters. A 350 Corvette made only 150 hp. Things looked pretty grim back then and everyone was beckoning for the good old days.

So, there were two kinds of people. The first lived in the past and tried to keep their rusting, smoking muscle cars going. Others embraced the new cars and then used the current technology to improve performance. Somewhere during the 1980's, technology came on full steam and radically improved performance. Things have only gotten better over the years and look at what we have today. Cars today are much more powerful, faster, use less gas and much safer than 40 years ago. Who would ever want to go back to the 60's when you can have the technology extant today?

None of us should discount what technology can bring about. Man has always had a desire for competition. It is innate in the human species. The first generation hybrids will be like the emasculated cars of the mid to late 1970's. Then, when tuners and manufacturers come aboard, watch things take off. History has a way of repeating itself...
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
The x is a better car then any previous model. Just like any other before. End of story. And based on that history i have a faith in the possible next gen. Doesnt matter if its a hybrid. Mitsubishi engineers know what they doing.

Many people sounds here like they came from an Amish community.... lol NO CHANGE! !!!!

4G63T had a LOTS of issues. And if you around long enough you should remember, the first gen. 4G63T wasnt even close in any angle to the first gen 4B11T... Also based on the 4 years old history of the 4B11T .
Besides there is a long thread about that here in this forum....
so it is time to stop it. Nothing more to say about that.
Rob

Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I honestly don't understand all the arguing. Ive had both cars/engines and love them both. Both have awesome pros and cons.

I think the 4B11 responds better/makes better power with just bolt-ons, but is held back b the weight of the X and can't hold the top end power the 4G63s can. 4B11s/X's dont need fuel pumps, injectors, or cams like the previous models early on, but the stock turbo is a good bit smaller on the X, so it can't reach the same numbers as other previous models when it is fully modded on stock turbo.

The X is a heavier, but smoother car with an engine that responds better to mods IMO while the 8/9s are more raw, straight up punch you in the face fun with the 4G63 that is a solid engine. Its close, but i honestly think the X handles better. It just depends on how much you are going to build the car up and what you are using the car for.

Quick Reply: "Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.