Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Great night at the track - Stock MR?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2005, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
12.83@106.30 Stock MR + S-AFC

Ah, had a wonderful time at the track tonight. The Evo's were out in full force, as were the S/C Cobras and many, many more. The weather was perfect as there was minimal humidity, and it was quite cool...it only got cooler as the night went on. My goal was to break 12s in stock form with my MR, then after doing that, I hoped to knock off a few 1/10s using my S-AFC. Unfortunately, other than the S-AFC/no S-AFC issue, I had to contend with the whole launching issue (5k limiter, etc). It's better to only have one variable, but oh well, this is how it unfolded...

1st run:
13.891@99.91 on a 2.0 60'- Say what?? Oh, that's what happens when you shift from 2nd-5th, oops. I didn't bother downshifting back to 3rd after that mistake. I just floored it and rode it out. Also, my attempt to launch off the limiter failed miserably. I am not saying it can't be done, but I certainly don't seem to be able to do it.

2nd run:
13.285@104.71 on a 1.932 60' - Better launch, but still not good. Hit all the gears perfectly. Highest MPH ever, but slower ET. I did some slight adjustments on the S-AFC after logging the first run...this accounts for the higher MPH (over 103.89) imo. Still can't launch off the limiter worth a damn...

3rd run:
13.051@105.88 on a 1.871 60' - Disconnected the 5k limit switch and immediately did better on the launch, but STILL not good. Nailed all the gears and gained more than 1mph at the top. Amazingly, even though I had leaned out a few rpm ranges slightly, I was STILL only reading .95v in gears 2-3-4 at every recorded RPM. Some readings even had .97v, so I was still not running optimally...still quite rich.

4th run:
12.838@106.30 on a 1.766 60' - Aha, there it is!! The run I've been waiting to see. I nailed the launch as good as I can (5k limit disconnected, perfect slip of the stock clutch), and then banged all the gears as best I can. I don't think I gained anything from S-AFC adjustments on this one, since I only got .4 mph...this was all from the 60' and 1-2 shift. Problem here is I didn't get a log, so I had no idea what adjustments I could make for any subsequent runs. Too bad, because I wanted to get some race gas, lean it out more, and go for a lower 12 in almost stock form.

5th run:
Dunno@Wish.I.Knew on a Not.Sure 60' - Bah, the car felt fast as hell, and I think the launch was good, but the lady gave me the wrong timeslip. The only reason I'm posting this one is because it was even COLDER by now, and my log showed richness in every gear AGAIN. I had no readings better than .95v at any RPM in any gear. I could have leaned out 5-7k rpm several more %, but by now, the wait was over an hour between runs, and they had just had a big oil spill, so I went home.

I wish I access to the wideband information to make sure everything was kosher, but all in all, I'm VERY happy with how strong the MR is. I guess I can't claim 12s in stock form, but with just an S-AFC, this is still really good. Peteyturbo got a 12.8@107 with just a flash, so this is on par. If I had more runs, I may have really done something to talk about, but I was happy to leave with the 12.83 and not even have a slight hint of clutch smell.

All runs were done at Capitol Raceway in Crofton, MD at an estimated 55 degrees.

Last edited by Warrtalon; May 14, 2005 at 08:51 AM.
Old May 13, 2005, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice numbers.. stock clutch i assume
Old May 13, 2005, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03BREvo8
Very nice numbers.. stock clutch i assume
Yes, only changes are the filter and S-AFC. For those who don't think much of the S-AFC (vs a flash or standalone), I would like to claim 12s stock, kthx.
Old May 14, 2005, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Congrats on the nice times!!
Old May 14, 2005, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very good times. great launches. I can't break 2.003 60 foot times. best time last night in AZ (90 degrees at night already) 13.156 @103.32 with 2.023 60' '05 with tbe, intake, up pipe,bov, ecutek and 101 octane. the 28lb apiece wheels and 2 12"s in the trunk aren't helping any though I guess.
Old May 14, 2005, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gaijin
very good times. great launches. I can't break 2.003 60 foot times. best time last night in AZ (90 degrees at night already) 13.156 @103.32 with 2.023 60' '05 with tbe, intake, up pipe,bov, ecutek and 101 octane. the 28lb apiece wheels and 2 12"s in the trunk aren't helping any though I guess.
You will 12s easily with even a below avg launch (1.85-1.90). Are you at high altitude? I know Tuscon is around 3k and has an extreme effect on performance, but despite your poor launches, your ET is very good for that mph. The only problem is that mph is low for a stock 05 (not including the extra weight, though), and should be much higher with those mods, especially using race gas. I assume the Ecutek is tuned for pump gas and regular boost, though? Again, if you are at high altitude, you'd probably do a lot better near sea level like me.

Last thing, are you having trouble launching because of the 5k launch limiter? I couldn't figure it out, so I disconnected the switch and launched normally. I found out how to do it through a thread on this msg board, btw.
Old May 14, 2005, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Petey Turbo
Congrats on the nice times!!
Thanks, Petey, I was using your best time with the Flash as a benchmark. Looks like you and I have quite a little rivalry going! 12.84 vs 12.83 with basically the same mod.
Old May 14, 2005, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah we are close...I'm going to be installing a 2.5 inch test pipe this week so we'll see what kind of difference that makes..I don't plan on leaving it on permanantly though, just wanna see what kind of diff it makes and hopefully it wont sound terrible..I think once our cars reach about 110 trap speeds its gonna be harder to get better ET's because of the 5th gear shift..I'm not too anxious to mod right now since I will be owning this car for a very long time, plus I am brokeI think its very possible for the MR to run 11's with cams, TBE and tune..Mabye come up this way to the track sometime and we can race..
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Thanks, Petey, I was using your best time with the Flash as a benchmark. Looks like you and I have quite a little rivalry going! 12.84 vs 12.83 with basically the same mod.
Old May 14, 2005, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

I rev to build boost then launch at about 4,500. haven't hit the launch limiter yet, but tried to launch at 5k last night and my clutch engaged, but wouldn't release so it kinda scared me. stunk up my car pretty good and I had a very hard time getting in to third and fourth on that run. waited an hour and ran again, but clutch still didn't feel good and I ran a 13.372 at 104.60 with a 2.116 60'. mine isn't an MR so can't compare straight across with yours. It is tuned for pump, but after we put the intake on it was running really lean so I thought the 101 would help. I think that Phoenix is about 1,500 feet so I can't really use that as an excuse. I have heard that the track is notoriously slow though so I dunno.
Old May 14, 2005, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

I rev to build boost then launch at about 4,500. haven't hit the launch limiter yet, but tried to launch at 5k last night and my clutch engaged, but wouldn't release so it kinda scared me. stunk up my car pretty good and I had a very hard time getting in to third and fourth on that run. waited an hour and ran again, but clutch still didn't feel good and I ran a 13.372 at 104.60 with a 2.116 60'. mine isn't an MR so can't compare straight across with yours. It is tuned for pump, but after we put the intake on it was running really lean so I thought the 101 would help. I think that Phoenix is about 1,500 feet so I can't really use that as an excuse. I have heard that the track is notoriously slow though so I dunno.
Hmm, yeah, if you are launching without even causing the the 5k limiter to engage, then you are gonna have a hard time. I can't even imagine trying to launch with such low rpm. Revving that low doesn't build boost of any significance, so I wouldn't rely on it. In due time, you'll probably figure out what's best for you, though. With 2.0s, though, you're no better off than a FWD like an SRT-4, so it's important to figure out a method that can at least give consistant 1.8s.
Old May 14, 2005, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah we are close...I'm going to be installing a 2.5 inch test pipe this week so we'll see what kind of difference that makes..I don't plan on leaving it on permanantly though, just wanna see what kind of diff it makes and hopefully it wont sound terrible..I think once our cars reach about 110 trap speeds its gonna be harder to get better ET's because of the 5th gear shift..I'm not too anxious to mod right now since I will be owning this car for a very long time, plus I am brokeI think its very possible for the MR to run 11's with cams, TBE and tune..Mabye come up this way to the track sometime and we can race..
Hmm, why just a test pipe? I wouldn't expect it to do anything, because you go from restriction (DP) to test pipe to another big restriction (cat-back+muffler). The sound probably won't change much, and I wouldn't expect any significant power gains, but I guess you'll find out for sure.

You may be right on the 5th gear issue...I don't know what's going to happen when I get to 108+. I am going to do an MBC next, then see if I can run 12.4 with race gas. I believe I can, as long as the MBC can hold 22psi without tapering. I have yet to maximize the utility of the S-AFC...I just ran out of time last night.
Old May 14, 2005, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

What are you using to tune it with??
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Hmm, why just a test pipe? I wouldn't expect it to do anything, because you go from restriction (DP) to test pipe to another big restriction (cat-back+muffler). The sound probably won't change much, and I wouldn't expect any significant power gains, but I guess you'll find out for sure.

You may be right on the 5th gear issue...I don't know what's going to happen when I get to 108+. I am going to do an MBC next, then see if I can run 12.4 with race gas. I believe I can, as long as the MBC can hold 22psi without tapering. I have yet to maximize the utility of the S-AFC...I just ran out of time last night.
Old May 14, 2005, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

What are you using to tune it with??
To tune what...the car itself? The S-AFC is my tuning device. It's why I said I was basically equivalent to you in mods, because the S-AFC is my equivalent to your flash. A flash can include more than what my S-AFC can do, but I at least have control of my own tuning as I add mods (at no extra cost).

If you were asking what I'm using as a logging device to determine my S-AFC settings, then the answer is a pocketlogger (Palm m100, odb-ii connector, and Palm'N'Stein). It's only narrowband, but using O2s and Timing, I can dial it in nicely (and safely).
Old May 14, 2005, 10:04 PM
fre
Evolved Member

What is an up pipe on an evo just curious? There is only a manifold and then the turbo. Maybe you meant test pipe. Anyhoo which track were you on firebird or speedworld?

I will be heading down there for Friday night drags at the end of the month. Get a decent clutch and launch that thing for real. I launch between 6000 and 7000 rpms and spin my all seasons to consistent 1.7s and even a few 1.6s every now and then. Should be interesting to see if the 1400 foot drop helps any since it's so hot there.
Old May 14, 2005, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fre
What is an up pipe on an evo just curious? There is only a manifold and then the turbo. Maybe you meant test pipe.
Upper InterCooler Pipe (UICP) maybe?

Quick Reply: Great night at the track - Stock MR?