Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

12.598 @107.69 Evo 1/4 mile - - new record?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2003, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at thier dyno run sheets

On their website they had some dyno run sheets listing some other its they added to the car.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by GaryChios

Final drive ratio means nothing for me when Dan says the cars tranny needs some mods to get it where it belongs.
[Edit: took out silly RWD thinking for gearing change.]

I just think it people will look elsewhere for speed than changing tranny pieces.

Last edited by trs94; Mar 24, 2003 at 03:03 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 02:39 PM

check this out. this actually works for us all the time

http://www.dsm.org/tools/calchp.htm
OK, again using my rice-ulater, the figures don't work out.

if you take their base dyno number, it gives you a 21% drivetrain loss. you take the 21% and multiply it to there "modded" 298.4 dyno and it gives you 361 crank HP. according to the DSM HP calculater there car is only making 330-326 crank HP.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by trs94

Well, changing the rear diff is easier than dropping the tranny and changing gears out. It is very possible that there are diffs you can put in the Evo that will make it more drag friendly.

Actually, the Evo's overall 4th gear ratio is closer to the WRX's 3rd overall ratio, so it isn't _that_ bad.

I just think it people will look elsewhere for speed than changing tranny pieces.

TRS
Since you are a Pro, and we have never done this, we will look for your solutions to this short gearing issue. Gearing is gearing, more power will still not solve the gearing issue, but thats ok, we will change the pumpkin and run it like that. Wow we never thought of that. Pheeew, thank god we posted here for some information, we actually might save money and go fast like the rest of you.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, changing the rear diff is easier than dropping the tranny and changing gears out. It is very possible that there are diffs you can put in the Evo that will make it more drag friendly.

Actually, the Evo's overall 4th gear ratio is closer to the WRX's 3rd overall ratio, so it isn't _that_ bad.

Since the rear diff ratio * transfer case ratio needs to match the front diff ratio, if you change the rear diff, you also need to change the front diff.

The front diff is in the transmission.

You can't just change your rear diff to change the final drive ratio.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by GRoceryTurbo

OK, again using my rice-ulater, the figures don't work out.

if you take their base dyno number, it gives you a 21% drivetrain loss. you take the 21% and multiply it to there "modded" 298.4 dyno and it gives you 361 crank HP. according to the DSM HP calculater there car is only making 330-326 crank HP.

Thats wheel HP, but because this car has a gearing issue, this calculator is a bit off.

Still, this is not a debate on the AWHp figures but the ET and MPH. I still did not ask baout his 1/8. Ill wait for a few more questions and then Ill have a post.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by ShapeGSX

Since the rear diff ratio * transfer case ratio needs to match the front diff ratio, if you change the rear diff, you also need to change the front diff.

Dude, you gave away our secret, come on man! We need more information from such technologically gifted people.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 02:46 PM

Since you are a Pro, and we have never done this, we will look for your solutions to this short gearing issue. Gearing is gearing, more power will still not solve the gearing issue, but thats ok, we will change the pumpkin and run it like that. Wow we never thought of that. Pheeew, thank god we posted here for some information, we actually might save money and go fast like the rest of you.
easy man, he was just adding his

I agree that most people won't install a custom gear set in a Evolution, yet. I would love to have a gear set like the Evolution, than maybe my car would trap closer to the ET.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 02:47 PM

Dude, you gave away our secret, come on man! We need more information from such technologically gifted people.
I'll let you know about an old Suby secret, we change the center diff. also.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by GRoceryTurbo

I'll let you know about an old Suby secret, we change the center diff. also.
If its a mitsu, it needs help in the transmission dept. We are use to modding our trannies. Since the graph of the dyno shows an 80 MPH max speed in third gear, you can realize the problem for drag racing or any kind of open straight-aways. Maybe some people fail to realize, we know this very very well. Dan is planning to make a lot more power this week with a few more bolt ons. I expect 11's next weekend in 5th gear though.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 02:53 PM

I know the ET calculaor is kind of ricey, but it does come very close, with it being a bit over. This contributes to AWD and better ET's through launching
Old Mar 24, 2003, 02:57 PM

I know the ET calculaor is kind of ricey, but it does come very close, with it being a bit over. This contributes to AWD and better ET's through launching
I would say it is closer to crank HP, there is no way my car is making 300 whp in it's current state of tune.

stuff like that is only ricey if you use it as the gospel.

I just noticed something funny! "This method uses the weight of the car and the time it took that car to travel 1330 feet (¼ mile)." did this formula come from Germany or something, I thought we only ran the 1320.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by ShapeGSX

Of course. I was thinking RWD. Well, either way it doesn't sound reasonable for most people. I helped change out a Cobra rear-end once. That work combined with dropping the tranny and swapping the front diff is still probably less hassle than new gears. Seems to be a possiblity for really hard core folks.

If you need to change gears to make the Evo your 1/4 mile monster, go for it. The money is adding up, though: full exhaust, new front mount, gearset, + ????

Good luck
Old Mar 24, 2003, 03:01 PM

The rice calculator does work. Not sure about the typo on the page. In any case it works for all the fast cars

Put in my figures, dan figures and others and its very very close by 10 WHP
Old Mar 24, 2003, 03:03 PM

Of course. I was thinking RWD. Well, either way it doesn't sound reasonable for most people. I helped change out a Cobra rear-end once. That work combined with dropping the tranny and swapping the front diff is still probably less hassle than new gears. Seems to be a possiblity for really hard core folks.

If you need to change gears to make the Evo your 1/4 mile monster, go for it. The money is adding up, though: full exhaust, new front mount, gearset, + ????

Good luck
80 MPh in 3rd sucks, so if anything, the car can go 12's easy with minor mods as we have seen so far. To go faster will require a gear set. We will see.

Quick Reply: 12.598 @107.69 Evo 1/4 mile - - new record?