Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Just came back from the track..

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2006, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just came back from the track..

I have a 2006 evo IX MR with 8500 miles. I just came back from the track and I think something's wrong. Does the stock rev limiter build boost? If so, how much? Apparently mine is not. When i'm at the line and using the rev limiter, I have no boost. It's stays at 0 on the boost gauge. When I start going, that's when I get boost. My best time is:

Reaction .667
60 ft 1.9
1/8 8.67
1/4 13.52
1/4 mph 102.72

That's the best I had all night. It seems slow for a IX. Other runs I had were average 13.6

Is there anything I should look at to check if anything's wrong? Please help.
Thanks
Old Mar 29, 2006, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We have a Drag Racing forum. That is where you want to discuss this. I will ask the mods to move it for you, since you can't.

Your Evo only seems to be slightly underpowered, but it's not slow. Your 60' was poor, which is why your ET is low in addition to your mph being abour 3-4 slower than most stock IXs. Even so, you're still as fast as most 03-05s, so it's not a big deal.

Yes, when using the stock launch limiter, which engages at 5500rpm on your IX, it should show about 7-8psi on the boost gauge while the revs bounce. I've never heard of no boost building whatsoever when bouncing off the launch limiter, and I don't think there's anything you can check to see why it's not happening other than doing a pressure test to ensure there are no boost leaks.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PurEvo-- Don't sweat it. The information provides does NOT illustrate that your car is underpowered. There are so many variables involved in drag racing that arriving to such a conclusion based upon one night of drag racing on one particular drag strip with one driver is a profound mistake. If you want to test the power of your car under more controlled conditions, go to a good dyno shop that has dyno'd a few EVO IXs. FWIW, all the stock EVO IXs we've tested have been within 3-4whp of each other. They are amazingly consistent from my experience.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
We have a Drag Racing forum. That is where you want to discuss this. I will ask the mods to move it for you, since you can't.

Your Evo only seems to be slightly underpowered, but it's not slow. Your 60' was poor, which is why your ET is low in addition to your mph being abour 3-4 slower than most stock IXs. Even so, you're still as fast as most 03-05s, so it's not a big deal.

Yes, when using the stock launch limiter, which engages at 5500rpm on your IX, it should show about 7-8psi on the boost gauge while the revs bounce. I've never heard of no boost building whatsoever when bouncing off the launch limiter, and I don't think there's anything you can check to see why it's not happening other than doing a pressure test to ensure there are no boost leaks.
Hmmm.. I've never taken my MR to the drags strip, so I don't know what happens when you try to launch with the 5500rpm limiter. I'm a little confused, I thought that revving the car in neutral does not make any boost... Am I wrong on this? Maybe I did not understand that the EVOs now have some kind of launch control.... Would this also be the case with my '05 MR?

Thanks
Old Mar 29, 2006, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

It doesn't build boost revving in neutral unless you are bouncing off the 5k launch limiter (5.5k on IXs).

Yes, all 05s and 06s have a built-in launch limiter that is activated while stationary with the clutch in. Go try it. I hit it on accident when I first took my MR to the track and was only able to cut a 1.92 60' on my 13.1, because I had no idea wtf was happening. I later found out and learned how to disconnect the switch under the dash. Some people actually use it as launch control, but 5k is too low for me - my Dynoflash launch control is set at 6k. On the IXs, though, the stock limiter is 5.5k, which is about perfect.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

I think my factory 2-step is set at 5,000 for my IX, I'll double check tonight.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Please check, because I was certain it was 5k for all 05/06s, then someone claimed it was 5.5k. I asked him and some others to test their IXs, and they call came back and said it was really 5.5k, so I dunno...
Old Mar 29, 2006, 08:53 PM
Rnm
Evolved Member

When I was stock, the rev limiter was at 5k. It has been moved up to 6k thanks to Dynoflash.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 09:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, i can confirm that my stock ix mr rev limiter is set at 5k just like my 05. I just tried it yesterday cause I read somewhere that it was at 5.5k but I guess its because someone had a flash and thought that's how it always was stock.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

yep stock is 5k
Old Mar 29, 2006, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Dynoflash sets it at 6k, so I don't know what the hell's going on. It was advertised in one magazine that the limiter was set at 5.5k, but I always thought it was a mis-print until some guys on here swore to me that theirs was set at 5.5k from the factory. Weird.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

These cars will build boost if you just hold it in neutral at the 5k rev limit? I could swear I dont build boost when just sitting there. Then again....I never launch the car. I guess in the morning I need to try it and see.

I was going to tell my tuner to set my AEM up with the two step.....but I will never use it. All I do is auto-x....no drags (well one time when I first bought the car) 25k stock clutch!
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

I do drag launches at all my autocrosses. It gives me a half second advantage over Evos that don't. Maybe I should stop telling people that...

Yes, if you bounce your revs off the launch limiter, it will build and hold boost although it fluctuates with the bouncing of the revs.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Please check, because I was certain it was 5k for all 05/06s, then someone claimed it was 5.5k. I asked him and some others to test their IXs, and they call came back and said it was really 5.5k, so I dunno...

I have launched my ix many times ... It is for sure 100 percent 5k.. just to clear things up
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Karma'sEvo
I have launched my ix many times ... It is for sure 100 percent 5k.. just to clear things up
Thank you - I have no idea why or how those other guys were so sure there's were set at 5.5k.