Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Who is the fastest in the 1/4 on the stock ECU?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2006, 04:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Smogrunner
Would Xedes, SAFCs, UTECS, etc. be allowed since they are still utilizing the OEM ECU?
I guess it depends on how you classify it.. But I would probably have to say yes.. I think the HKS and Apexi "Standalone EM" offerings might also qualify if it were that permissive since I think they also retain the ECU for mundane operations.

The reality is I think it should require the tuning to be done with the OEM ECU, fine tuning is okay but not if it takes over for the ECU, so the HKS, Apexi, UTEC might not qualify as they all take over for the ECU.. But an S-AFC, XEDE, ECU+, etc, only alter sensor signals INTO the ECU..

Now to complicate things.. Most of us would be satisfied with the "Passes OBD-II" test for an OEM ECU..

Either way I'm okay with it.. I have an ECU+ on the car currently (logging only but still) But I have a UTEC (that I'm patiently waiting for a Firmware update)
Old Aug 27, 2006, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well its not as impressive as yours but I think I have one of the best stock turbo/mail in flash times. I might do alky/custom tune with a shep t-case/LSD over the winter to get it down some more.

Your car looks like it has some 10's for sure in it.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that Kevin guy was full of Shi" and you should have the record. Also, not just stock UCU but stock MAF also.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4ringturncoat
I think that Kevin guy was full of Shi" and you should have the record. Also, not just stock UCU but stock MAF also.
+10000
Old Aug 28, 2006, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll have to agree with the first reply ... a flashed ECU is not stock. You're basing this entire "competition" on the ECU when all of your other mods are really the reason you have your times ... you're ECU has been tuned to get the most from them. That's not "stock" at all.

You have modified how the ECU controls the electronics on the car .. that is the "heart" of any ECU ... the rest of it just deciphers information from various inputs around the vehicle. It's the same as claiming to have the fastest car w/ stock boost silenoid ... you just happen to have a nice MBC/EBC in front of it. Or, stock exhaust with a turbo upgrade (which would be pointless ... but it's an example).

You have good times ... there is no question. But I don't consider your ECU "stock" or "OEM" to any degree. I think your reaching to get some glory ...
Old Aug 28, 2006, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Has ANYONE not used a stock ECU? Aren't they all flashed rather than replaced?
Old Aug 28, 2006, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

TouringBubble, I understand your points, however, I am running the OEM ECU, that is a fact. Of course it has been flashed, but it is still the original ecu. My type of engine management (stock) if the way 95%+ of us roll, so I believe it is a significant measure of accomplishment, just as stock turbo records are also interesting. I also firmly believe that my car will pass CA smog/emissions as it is OBDII compliant and I can fine tune the fueling for the test, if needed, and am only running HKS 272s, not the big power cams like Juns.

To be honest, I'm primarily trying to get some glory for Tuning Technologies. They have gotten so good at tuning with ECUFlash that I'd like them to be able to claim having tuned the fastest Evo in the US on the OEM ECU (if they indeed hold that record.)

I have to give that PR Evo 9 with the 75 shot of nitrous a lot of credit. It definitely has the quickest "everything goes" time. Mine seems to be the fastest and quickest (all turbo).
Old Aug 28, 2006, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

In my opinion I don't think Kevin lied. I mean for a year we made fun of him because of his obsession and inability to hit 11s with that power and countless numbers of flashes and money spent. He could have just as easily lied then and posted a 11.999 and all the jokes would have stopped, but he never did that. But it's up to you if you want to believe him or not. Also there is that guy in Puerto Rico, unless you want to put further stipulations on the record such as must USDM model and be from the mainland, must be a US State, or must be all boost. It's just better in my opinion to go out and run a 10.8 and have the record, no questions asked. Good luck, I know you have the power and driving skill to accomplish this. I still remember seeing your EVO at Carlsbad and remembering how impressed I was with your driving abilities way back then. Watching you race helped further my love of the EVO.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree that it is an acomplishment since so many others are running similar ECU's. I just think "Fastest street legal EVO" (meaning can be registered and pass all tests) or something would have been better. By claiming your ECU is stock, some people wouldn't associate the car with an ECU tuner.

I will give your car the credit over the one w/ spray. I'm not big on conditional power I look forward to seeing you in the 10's with a "street legal" Evo.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

So a stock engine block with new pistons and cams is still a stock motor? LOL
Old Aug 28, 2006, 06:15 AM
EvoM Guru

I wonder where my car would fall? It does pass an emission test, It retains all OE Emission controls, it has an aftermarket cat.. It does pass the OBD-II inspection (Technically it does, I get a P0300 code occasionally and cannot get confirmation on whether that particular code is exempted on these cars since many stock cars get it)

My engine management consists of several aftermarket tweaks though..

1) I run a blowthrough MAF and converter box
2) I have a Coil on Plug ignition (not installed on the car currently) with an hks DLI2 (which is on)
3) I run an ECU+ for logging
4) I run an Apexi AVC-R

Many of these addons enhance or modify the operation of the ECU, but the car still has a reflashed OE ECU...

I'm gunning for a 10.5, but I'm sure at this level I'm going to start breaking parts I never had trouble with before, so I'm keeping a low profile until I'm prepared to meet or beat my goal..

Another point to make, My car is also self-tuned, and self-modified.. With the exception of having an exhaust installed before I had my own lift, the entire car was built in my garage. Oh and many of the components I use are of my own design, the remaining ones are Buschur..

There are very few really fast cars that can claim that..

Last edited by MalibuJack; Aug 28, 2006 at 06:21 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 06:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Kordwood
So a stock engine block with new pistons and cams is still a stock motor? LOL
That would still be a stock block.. and someone could claim that I suppose..

I think this discussion is specifically using components that would at least pass an inspection "in spirit" by passing an OBD-II test, Safety, and possibly sniffer.. And eve a visual test in some states (my car won't come close to passing a visual inspection though, its not required where I am)
Old Aug 28, 2006, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

It's a fast car and that's something to be proud of. As far as stock ECU etc etc it doesn't really matter IMO too many variables. Much more of this and it will become like Supraforums.com (fastest auto bpu on street tires without a filter!!) or (fastest 6spd bpu with nitrous on drag radials!!)
Old Aug 28, 2006, 06:29 AM
EvoM Guru

LOL Very true.. I think what will make me happiest is to run a 10.5 on a street registered, Emission LEGAL, and LEGALLY INSPECTED car..
Old Aug 28, 2006, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look, new guys, we all knew what he meant by "stock ECU." Having a tuned ECU doesn't mean it's not stock. The whole point is that people at this power level OVERRUN THE MAF RESOLUTION, which means they have to go to a standalone ECU. Who was it above who said that we don't replace the ECU? Plllllease, almost everyone with a big turbo goes with a standalone ECU (e.g. AEM EMS), and there are PLENTY of toolbags who do it on the stock turbo (don't ask me why). The fact that Smoggie has the STOCK MAF and OEM ECU (duh, who DOESN'T get tuned trying to run 10s???) while making 580whp is QUITE SIGNIFICANT for those of us who want to remain OBD-II while passing emissions tests and having a simple OEM ECU that doesn't have to be replaced.

Clicking off mid-10s without a standalone would be huge...

Quick Reply: Who is the fastest in the 1/4 on the stock ECU?