Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Dumb question but here it goes..

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2006, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dumb question but here it goes..

My stock advans are almost bald. Would they be good for dragracing. Since slicks almost have no thread? Im also looking into buying replacements for the enkeis. I plan to waste these tires quick and they are only gonna be ran at the dragstrip. I only plan to spend $100 a tire. I've read good reveiws on the fuzions, kumho ectsa mx. Any advice on tires for grip at the track in the $100 range? I should have a better chance at cutting lower 60footers than my 1.85's
Old Oct 1, 2006, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I have ran pretty consistent 1.7's with the stockers. And yes the stockers are still good when bald n a drag racing aspect.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

recently got the kuhmo mx's and love them...havent been to the track yet with them but i think theyll do fine
Old Oct 1, 2006, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Stock tires are good period. I cut a 1.58 with those puppies.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

I know they are good stockers. But are they good when almost bald. I launched once on a backroad and my evo almost went sideways until it got grip. At the dragstrip should it be different? I dont plan on passing thru the water either for burn outs. LOL.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

The best short time for me with them bald was a 1.69. You will have to play with the tire pressure a bit to get them to hook. It will mainly depend on track prep no matter what tire.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, they aren't like slicks when bald. It doesn't work that way. They will spin more than normal most likely.

Please don't get crappy tires on your Evo. That totally defeats the purpose of having one. The Kumho MXs are "ok," but they are not good performance tires. If you care about how your car handles and don't have to drive in a lot of snow and rain, then just get Falken Azeni RT-615s. You can even get them in 255/40-17, which fits the stock rims. These will cost you around $130/tire...
Old Oct 3, 2006, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

I've got some nice bridgstone potenzas RE-040 run flats on my 18's. Those tires are $300 a peice. So i dont want to waste those at the dragstrip. Im just looking for a real sticky tire for the strip. I currently have 2 yokohama AVS100's on the stock enkeis with very good thread left. I think im just gonna buy 2 more of those so i can have matching tires.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
No, they aren't like slicks when bald. It doesn't work that way. They will spin more than normal most likely.

Please don't get crappy tires on your Evo. That totally defeats the purpose of having one. The Kumho MXs are "ok," but they are not good performance tires. If you care about how your car handles and don't have to drive in a lot of snow and rain, then just get Falken Azeni RT-615s. You can even get them in 255/40-17, which fits the stock rims. These will cost you around $130/tire...
Whats the treadlife on these tires If you dont mind me asking^^^ my tires are bald too and was thinking pirelli p zero nero M&s anybody try these? input would be much appreciated! thanks!
Old Oct 3, 2006, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Have a question....I just raised my redline to 8000....Wondering if anyone may please tell me where is the best time to shift at the drag track? I'm still shifting around 7300. (Evo 9, Boost Control, Injen intake & Upper hard pipe, D.P., T.P., Hyper M. Cat B. E., Fuel Pump. 02 Housing, and a tune.)
Old Oct 3, 2006, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by El.BlueEvo9
Have a question....I just raised my redline to 8000....Wondering if anyone may please tell me where is the best time to shift at the drag track? I'm still shifting around 7300. (Evo 9, Boost Control, Injen intake & Upper hard pipe, D.P., T.P., Hyper M. Cat B. E., Fuel Pump. 02 Housing, and a tune.)
I wouldnt try that unless i had a built engine. Your asking for trouble if you go that high. To me 7300 is already pushing it.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

So far, I've gotten a 12.63 at 109. I know the cars atleast worth low 12's. Where do U usually shift? And what was ur 1/4 mile time?
Old Oct 3, 2006, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

^ No offense but try starting your own thread. Hopefully, you will find questions to your answers there.

And to the O.P. No, the stockers are not good like slicks when bald. One definite factor is the sidewall stiffness in the Advans. They are not designed to flex (in the sidewall) as much as a drag slick.

It's just like tools, you have to have the right tool for the job.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Well i agree there are still good i ran 1.59 60 with them
Old Oct 3, 2006, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want really sticky tires, then why are you mentioning Kumho MX and AVS100s or whatever? What is it you are really trying to do? I thought you drove daily on stock Advans, but then you mention having 18s with plain RE-040s that are ridiculously expensive for some reason. Do you want us to suggest new tires for whatever 17" rims you are using (or not using) or what? I'm not sure what the question is now.

VRamirez, treadwear is not something I worry about when choosing tires for my Evo. If they last a long time, then they most likely suck for handling. If they are awesome for handling (like the stock Advans), then they likely last less than 25k miles. The RT-615s that I suggested cost half as much as Advans, have a wider tread, and last about 5k miles longer (20k vs 15k). I don't know why you'd ask me that question then mention P-zero M&S. Those are mud and snow (M&S) tires made for winter/mud/all-season driving, which means they suck for handling, but they will last a while and endure any weather conditions. I use tires like that (Blizzak) on a second set of cheap rims (Rota Torque) just for the Winter.

El.Blue, do not jack threads - make your own. You should shift at 7000-7100 on stock cams - it does not matter how high you set your rev limiter. Also, why do you say "I know the car's worth AT LEAST low 12s"? You _may_ be able to hit low 12s with perfect driving on 109mph traps, but we're talking 12.3-12.4. To say AT LEAST low 12s means you could run 11s how it is now, and that's just not the case. Maybe on race gas with huge boost and some perfect driving, but I don't think you should set your expectations so high. For now, just learn how to launch and drive. A 12.6 is for 106-107mph, and a 109mph is for 12.3-12.4. I run consistent high 12.3s and low 12.4s with an avg trap speed of 108-109. My best up here at 6000' is 12.30@107.99, so that gives you an idea of what you need to do.

Quick Reply: Dumb question but here it goes..