Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

first track times with evo, not as slow as I thought it would be.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2006, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first track times with evo, not as slow as I thought it would be.

I've been wary of running my car at the track, despite my past love of track nights, and my firm belief in tunning a car at the track, not the dyno or the datalogger. I've been very worried about racing a car I actually owe money on and that can cost considerable money to repair, as opposed to an old beater dsm. Went home for the weekend back to hattiesburg, and some friends wanted to hit up hub city drag since it was pretty cold weather. Finally, after many botched runs trying to get the hang of the stock clutch.

Ended up with a best run of 12.49 @ 112, 1.80 60ft, an backed it up with a 12.55 @ 111, also a 1.84 60'. Both runs were 86mph in the 1/8th @ 8.05
Numerous low 13s, off the bat @ 107-109 as I slowly leaned it out on the ECU+ and added some timing.

Weather was a nice 48degrees, and runs were made with 1/2 tank of 93 and 4 gallons of VP 108. Very happy to finally find out what my evo runs, as it's always felt like a slug to me, compared to my stealth that ran mid 11s. I honnestly guessed it felt like a mid 14 second car even though I knew it shouldnt be, and have always declined races from constantly smoking the clutch, being used to the right off the floor engagement of the ACT2600 dsms, not the out near the top clutch engagement of the evo.

Mods are ebay 3" tbe tsudo exhaust, k&n drop in filter, MBC @ 24 tappering to 18 after 5500, and ECU+. Simply cannot get the hang of the no lift shift with the current clutch, missed 2nd everytime i tried it.

I think its got some more in it before I put the cams in, but I guess I'll finally break down and get a fuel pump this week. Having a problem with my boost controller and I need to re run it, as I'm running it in bleeder style instead of restriction.

Could post the datalog if anyones interested, though I dont think its that significant an accomplishment. Hope the cold weather is as good to everyone else.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What year/model Evo do you have? Trapping 112 with your mods is very high. Especially seeing your gaining 26mph in the back 1/8th without cams. The ET sounds good though, nice driving.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

2005 gsr. I think the above average power gains are completely dependent on the weather. No way it wouldve gone 112 in 70-80deg weather.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

I am going to the track today first time with the evo. I hope i have similar results. i have similar mods as NIevo plus a EMS but still on the stock clutch with 17K miles. I wont be launching hard.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

I didnt launch mine hard it all, it just wouldnt take it. Was mostly 4k+ slipping while being almost halfway out on the clutch just before the light dropped. Complete opposite of my stealth. I really do not like the pull clutch. Id love to set it to grip ight off the bottom, but it just wont without grinding.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NIevo, it was on race gas with 24psi, so the mph makes sense. With some good driving and launching, he'd be in the 12.0-12.1 range. Remember that my 12.000 was with the same basic mods on a base flash with a mix of 110/93 and running 24psi. I would always trap 112-113 on those runs with stock cams and such.

Phalse, why worry about no lift shifting? You by no means need to no-lift the 1-2. At best, do the 3-4 shift, since it's so easy, but there's no reason to worry about those other shifts. Your 60' is far more important than no-lifting the 1-2, and with mid 1.8s, you had a LOT of room to improve. My 12.000 with those same mods was with regular fast snap-shifting on the 1-2 and 2-3, so just focus on the launch and shifting quickly.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, also, the clutch only engages where you tell it to engage. It has nothing to do with a DSM vs Evo clutch. That is 100% determined by where YOU set the clutch engagement. If you just relied on whoever installed your clutch to set the engagement, then that's the problem. Use the tech write-up on Evomoto.com to adjust your clutch pedal so that it engages in the middle, at the top, or wherever you want it to engage. It's very simple, so snap to it! That might help your launching/shifting.