Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

*VIDZ* - My Pinks All Out Experience - A road racing car goes drag racing.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2008, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*VIDZ* - My Pinks All Out Experience - A road racing car goes drag racing.

I need to start off by giving a HUGE thank you to all my sponsors and especially David, Daniel, Shamus, Jarrod, Robi, Dad, Mom, Austin, Lil Man, Bing, Jessie, Mike and God for all of the help and support. Without you all, this experience would not have been possible.

I headed out from Wisconsin on Wed afternoon at about 4:00 p.m. to make the drive to Wakeman. We got in about 2:30 Thursday morning, slept for a bit and headed out to Buschur mid morning. I can’t thank David enough for all the work he did getting the car ready for the event. From the body shop work, taking my car back and forth to the body shop, alignment that was a PIA, and tuning…he did A LOT more than ANY shop and most of my friends have ever done for me. David you are a truly great businessman and an even better friend!

We dyno’d the car on Wednesday afternoon. I decided to switch the car over to Q16 for the race and for running the car in Solo (XP). Last year in October, the car made 570whp on David’s dyno and went 10.7 @ 137 at the shootout prior to me blowing the ring and pinion on C16. I figured I would pick up some HP with the Q16 (5% is what VP claims) and my heart sunk a little when the numbers came up as 517whp on the dyno. That was at 34psi of boost on the older style GT35R. David quickly pointed out to me that the intake temps (it was hot as heck and muggy) where over 50 degrees higher than last year. So heat/humidity was definitely a factor. He also mentioned that the dyno seemed to possibly be reading a little lower now too. We loaded up the cars, hung out for awhile and then called it a night.

The gates were to open at 8:00 a.m. the next day but registration was not going to start until 11:00 a.m. We were supposed to start the test-n-tune at 2:00 p.m. We didn’t get registered and into the track until around 5:00. Six hours of waiting in 100 degree heat, yuk. Coming out of the registration lot, traffic was all backed up. A van was nice enough to wave me out, as I was looking at them waving me out, I released the brake thinking traffic was moving a bit and turned to realize there was a truck in front of me. With 10,000 lbs behind my truck, I couldn’t get the brake on in time and banged into the back of him…there went $1200 out of my pocket. Not a good start to the day after sitting in the 100 degree heat/sun for six hours.

I got my car tech’d and went out to make my first pass. For those who are not familiar with the car, it is a Time Attack (road racing) car. I don’t think a lot of people realized that at the event including the Speed crew. My first run, I was against a muscle car that I couldn’t even hear my own car next to and the Magnum is not quiet. He got the jump out of the hole (1.2 sec 60’). I don’t think anybody expected me to hang with him after that. I ran a 10.3 @ 139 mph with a 1.58 60’. He ran a 9.65 @ 145mph. My MPH at the 1/8th was 107 where his was 120. I picked up 32 mph in the back half where he only gained 26mph so I was starting to run him down!

Here is a video of that run. Ignore the comments about David. Someone obviously didn't know what they were talking about as Buschur's black car wouldn't have had a problem hanging with that car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9p8ioFx6jI

Next run, I went up and got some wheel hop on the launch which led to a broken TC. I didn’t have an extra one and David only had one. Knowing that they had it as a spare for the black car, I didn’t expect him to sell it yet that is exactly what he did!!! Daniel, Shamus and Brent installed it at the Buschur shop in under an hour!!! It was unreal how quickly that team worked. Talk about some awesome wrenches!

David and Daniel did not fix their own drag car to help out a customer and once again I have never even heard of another story where a shop has done something to that degree for one of their customers. Daniel has stayed late twice now on a Friday night to fix my drive train. That IS service. Thank you Daniel! We were all tired after being in the sun all day so everyone headed to get some sleep.

Saturday morning we got to the track and found a better parking spot near the far end of the track. On Friday we had to park on the opposite side of the track out in the grass which was a PIA. So the day was starting off better. I waited for the first 400 or so cars to run as I was in group 400-450. I went up to the line and ended up next to a Buick GNX. It was nice as I could actually hear my engine. We lined up and I launched the car and it instantly broke loose. I rode it out and ended up short shifting a bit and the RPM’s fell a bit low and then the car took off like I hit the nitrous button. Next thing, I know I am hitting the rev limiter at least 100 feet before the finish. So 517whp on Buschur’s heart breaker dyno can get you through the traps with a 10.4 @ 141mph in a car that weighs 2950lbs (including me). The 60’ was a 1.69 and 1/8was 108mph. Here is a video of that run...
http://www.dragnracing.com/video/Pin...ks10secRun.wmv

I noticed prior to going up for the first run my shifter seemed stiff…I had moved the cables around a bit and they seemed normal again. I really didn’t think much about it after that. I waited for another 500 or so cars to go through and went up for my second run. I launched the car which again broke loose but not quite as bad and shifted to second, but didn’t keep moving and was free revving. I quickly moved the shifter around and got it to go into gear…taking off, the car torque steered trying to rip the wheel out of my hands. I bang’d through the gears and ended up still hitting the rev limiter before the end of the track! I don’t know what my time or MPH was as that is the run where they don’t show it and Rich did the arm drop.

At this point they had not decided on the cars they were running, so I went back to the trailer to see if there was a driver problem or a mechanical issue. Turns out that the cotter pin had broken on one of the shifter cables. I must have been banging the gears a little too hard. We waited for them to announce the selected cars and they mentioned over the PA that they were selecting a 9 sec field. So I didn’t make the final selection but definitely had the power if I could have gotten the car to hook and avoided the shifting problems.

My friend took quite a bit of video of some of the cooler stuff there including my 10.4 pass outside the car. As soon as he gets me that footage, I will get it edited and posted. I think it is likely the Magnum is the fastest and quickest road racing car to ever make a debut on Pinks All Out.

I can not give enough thanks to Buschur Racing for going way beyond any expectations I would ever have for a business. If I put myself in David and Daniel's shoes, it would have been very painful to let that TC go and fix my car instead of theirs. I also want to thank Renee for feeding us on Saturday.

Last edited by DragNRacing; Jun 13, 2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Cool man thanks for the run-down and vid

Once again congrats and sorry to hear about the tc

What are your plans in regards to beefing the tc up?
Old Jun 9, 2008, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice write up on the event. You are a great guy and so are all the guys you bring with you. I need to thank YOU for being a great friend and I want to thank Shamus too for always jumping into any project and lending a hand!

I just watched the video. That is probably one of my favorite videos of all times. I cannot believe how fast the car looks from that angle. The rear window is freaking NUTS. Anyone who has their doubts about the vortex generator working can have them erased by watching that video. We might actually need to put a brace or two in that rear window!

If you don't mind too much, post that video over on our site too. It's freaking awesome. That Buick got it's *** handed to him! haha

I am very confident that the car will go 9's, probably would have that last pass if it hadn't been for the shifter cable.

Also, about the t-case solution, there will be no t-case talk until the parts are done, tested and ready to sell.

Thanks again for all your support.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
If you don't mind too much, post that video over on our site too. It's freaking awesome. That Buick got it's *** handed to him! haha

Thanks again for all your support.
The least I can do...done and you're welcome!
Old Jun 9, 2008, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PATRICK B.
What are your plans in regards to beefing the tc up?
Per David's previous post, they have something in the works for the ring and pinion
Old Jun 9, 2008, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent write up and awesome vid
Old Jun 9, 2008, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

if it not a problem can you post a picture of your car that sound a shop that stand behind there customers big time
Old Jun 9, 2008, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
The rear window is freaking NUTS. Anyone who has their doubts about the vortex generator working can have them erased by watching that video.
I would have never known for the rear window to flex that much, thats insane. Would a lexan window flex more or less?

Nice vid BTW
Old Jun 9, 2008, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

that video looks scarylookslike that glass was going to fly off
Old Jun 9, 2008, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The rear window in the car is lexan.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Badass video.

Hopefully we will see some EVO action on TV when the episode airs.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Does the car look the same as when buschur sold it to you???

Or does it look different?

I want to keep my eyes out for it if they show it on TV
Old Jun 9, 2008, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

nicee run man! congrats.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

The car looked like this minus the Redline number 15 and had silver rims on it instead of black ones.

Thank you all for the kind words.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

Nice run. Glad to hear something is in the works for the T-case from Buschur.

Quick Reply: *VIDZ* - My Pinks All Out Experience - A road racing car goes drag racing.