Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!
View Poll Results: Do I have a chance in hell?
Go For It.
81.48%
uh... don't do it.
18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Lancer 0z rally vs. Eclipse GS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2002, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
don't worry... if your doing it for fun... thats what its all about... if he beats you... you gota goal to set... and have fun making that goal... i'd like to beat a mustang gt cuz all those drivers talk ****.. thats my goal... just have fun with it... don't beee chiken
Old Jun 24, 2002, 12:58 PM

itll be a year or two b4 turbo lol (might trade in for evo vII then) lol

it will be awhile b4 i get the turbo due to expenses any suggestions on the type of header i shoudl get? websites?
thanks
Old Jun 24, 2002, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Only header in the game is the Kamikaze one Pat is selling (nyclancer) in his group buy. I'm sure you can handle finding the link. RPW is still working on lengthening their pipes to mount up correctly to the 4G94. Another option is the OBX one but no one is really sure about it...OBX isn't the greatest name in the business and their main home page lists the Lancer as being 1.8, AWD, a turbo...there's a couple of little mistakes that make me wonder. Shame nobody like HKS or Greddy would take us seriously. Anyway...
Old Jun 24, 2002, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Ask our friend Bahumut about that header(OBX) he has one on his car.
Old Jun 25, 2002, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last week they had import drags at Pacific Raceway. I watched a couple of 2.4 liter GS's with intake and exhaust. High 16's were the best they could do.

http://maxryan.com
ftp://maxryan.com
Old Jun 25, 2002, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

see man... u gotta chance
Old Jun 25, 2002, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

As for the initial launch, try it at say 3k and work your way up or down depending.

For the launch do 2k rpm or 2.2 rpm @ 3k you get too much wheel spin. As for racing the eclipse ive beaten an auto one with the 2.4L engine. But i dunno about a standard one. Youll do fine if you know how to shift fast.
Old Jun 26, 2002, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

My header is for the 1.8L from OBX (4-2-1 - good for low to median end TQ) . . . you guys have the 4g94 with slightly higher deck height on the cyl head.

As a general rule for us, mirage guys, a stock 2g eclipse (420a or the 4g63) is vulnerable whether it's manual or auto versus an equal 1.8L . . . basically, a driver race.

Yup, the 94 is a 1g eclipse. They have 2 powerplants. The 4g37 (SOHC - 2 valves per cyl) and the 4g63 (SOHC - 4 valves per cyl) . . . may be wrong on the spec for the 4g63 NA.

As for the 2.4L, that a 4g64 from the 3g eclipse.

Last edited by bahamut; Jun 26, 2002 at 09:53 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2002, 09:45 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by DaTenshi

For the launch do 2k rpm or 2.2 rpm @ 3k you get too much wheel spin. As for racing the eclipse ive beaten an auto one with the 2.4L engine. But i dunno about a standard one. Youll do fine if you know how to shift fast.
On stock tires play it safe. You should prolly try a couple test launches in an empty lot or something, but don't overdo it or you'll put a hurt on your tranny and your tires too.

I think I forgot to mention....Good luck
Old Jun 26, 2002, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

3k is overdo? lol on my brothers GTI he launches at 4-6 sometimes!lol

the intake screams so loud on take off it sounds like hes got a Supercharger...its scary..the first time he did it we thought he broke something...lol

..Back to topic...

IMO i do think the lancer has a good chance against the GS. Doesnt hurt to try.
Old Jul 10, 2002, 02:02 AM

Raced a 3g Gs

My buddy Dave from Club 3g and I raced he has a Injen CAI and a Flowmaster muffler and some sawy bars. I kept up with him for the most part. Granted he beat me but if i had the same mods I would have beaten him. My car right now is pretty much stock except the strut bar and airbox filter from K&N.

Do it for fun and learn something from it and if he beats you just set that goal to beat him and when you do he'll hush up. Did that to my friend who owns a 2002 Chevy Cav the one with 2.2 ecojunk engine. Best of luck man. Keep us posted.
Old Jul 10, 2002, 02:59 AM

a guy i know has a black gs...and i beat him by a car length with intake and exhuast only...you definitely have a chance...go ahead and try..

I just had my kamikaze header installed...SWEET power jump...great sound too..all in eed to get is the RRM throttle body...

Old Jul 10, 2002, 08:13 AM

i was reading specs on the 2nd generation eclipse GS (base model, nothing power) and found out that they actually weigh more than an OZ. Eclipses are heavy cars, just like Preludes
Old Jul 11, 2002, 01:39 PM

The 2G Eclipse GS comes with the 420A engine which is a 2.0L DOHC naturally aspirated. This is a Dodge - Chrysler motor from Mexico that was borrowed from the Neon. It is notorious for electrical problems.

These cars are quite slow and I have witnessed many at the drag strip running high 16s and 17s. Hahn Racecraft makes a great turbo kit for the 420A that will bring the power up to very respectable numbers.

The GST and GSX models are totally different. A Mirage with all the standard upgrades could keep up or beat the GS Eclipse, but nowhere near the GST or GSX. The turbo motor just has so much potential. This is why the EVO is so popular.

Jeff
Old Jul 11, 2002, 01:45 PM

Re: itll be a year or two b4 turbo lol (might trade in for evo vII then) lol

Originally posted by Rhoades
it will be awhile b4 i get the turbo due to expenses any suggestions on the type of header i shoudl get? websites?
thanks
If you seriously are thinking about getting a turbo kit, DO NOT buy a header system. You will be just wasting money. When you get the turbo, you will need an entirely new header that the turbo will bolt on to. You will just be buying a header twice. Instead, concentrate on upgrades that will benefit the future turbo motor.

Things to think about...
For an exhaust system, all a naturally aspirated motor needs is 2.5inch piping. But if you plan on turbo duty, you will need 3 inch piping to fully extract the power.

Leave the header alone until you definately know if you are going the turbo route or natural path.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Lancer 0z rally vs. Eclipse GS