Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!
View Poll Results: Do I have a chance in hell?
Go For It.
81.48%
uh... don't do it.
18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Lancer 0z rally vs. Eclipse GS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2002, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lancer 0z rally vs. Eclipse GS

Hey i have a 2002 mitsubishi lancer oz rally with flowmaster exhaust and injen cold air intake.. a friend of mine has wanted a peice of my lancer ever sense i baught hte thing. he has a 1994 eclipse GS no turbo. Greby Exhaust and Short Ram intake. I have looked at the specs his car is running estimated around 160 hp. if he even gets all that to the wheel.
to make a long story short.
Do i have a chance in hell at beating him?
If so anyone have any tips or things i can try b4 the day comes when or if i race him?

Thanks for any info.
Old Jun 24, 2002, 12:10 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Assuming similar driving skill you will lose every time. There's no harm in trying though.

There's nothing wrong with being beaten by faster cars. If it didn't happen then what reason would you really need to go faster? Losing to much slower cars on the other hand... Well...I'm not one to promote suicide*...

*disclaimer: Don't do it son! Life's too precious. Think of how mommy, daddy, and everyone who loves you would cry! Suicide is never the answer...unless you're playing RtCW and wanna respawn as a medic or something.

EDIT: Just wait till you see the info p's gonna post. ...then get me a fork to facilitate eating my words.

Last edited by HobieKopek; Jun 24, 2002 at 12:15 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2002, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

If it's the standard GS, you will have a definite chance. If it's the 16V GS however, you're gonna have a problem. Check into this machine first. The lowest GS puts out 92 HP from that year, and the 16V GS put out 135. However, the up keep on the car can have a big impact on it's out put (oil changes, spark plugs, tune ups in general). If you give us more info, perhaps we can help you out a bit more.

Sh...don't tell your friend we're helping you.

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/engines....d=2086&src=vip
Old Jun 24, 2002, 12:19 PM

from what i understadn

from what i understand he baught it from a guy that ran the car really hard. "although my friend wont believe it" infact he tells everyone his car has 220 hp.. and i knew that wasnt right. the guy that had it b4 him ran the car really hard. infact this kid drives rough on the car.. "squeals everywhere"

have any tips on powershifting or getting a good launch i can use all the help i can get. i think i can use his squeals to my advantage if i can get a good launch on him.
Old Jun 24, 2002, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

You're gonna wanna around 3k RPMs if not higher (poor clutch) since you're not making peak torque for the pull until 4.5k. As for power shifting, it's been covered in driving techniques, also check double clutching for such info. Your friend may be pulling a fast one on you if he's running a GS-T or a GSX and not telling you(after all, it's still just a GS :wink...check for a red 4G63 under that hood if at all possible.
Old Jun 24, 2002, 12:27 PM

no turbo

i know this for a fact it doenst have turbo. he doesnt know much about cars i think thats why he calmes 220 hp. my other firend has a 300zx a lil two easy if he has 220 hp. and 300zx only has 220 hp stock non turbo so we know he has at tops 160hp. my lancer im gussing between 130 - 140. can 20 hp make that much of a difference and thats if he gets all of that 160 to the wheel i am not so sure that he does.

to about 3k drop the clutch? and i will get a good jump? should i shift at redline or 5k?
i really appreciat this
Thanks
Old Jun 24, 2002, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Argh...I had so much more faith in you until that last post...

You are not pushing anywhere near those numbers...

http://www.importtuner.com/archives/...2_tech01.shtml

That should explain it a little bit...You NEVER get 100% drivetrain efficiency (unless you know how to beat those damn laws of physics). 30% is about average loss for front wheel drive cars. Read the link and you'll understand...
Old Jun 24, 2002, 12:32 PM

bah.

i know hte lancers come stock with 120 hp how much do u think a injen codl air intake ad's and as for flowmaster exhaust as well i was hoping at least 10 hency why i said 130.. and i know for a fact he has a 1994 eclipse GS non turbo.
Thanks for link..
Old Jun 24, 2002, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

At best you will run even at worst you will be at his door. My friend has 99 GS I believe and his car is a slow POS makes me glad I own a Lancer considering he's actually paying more(22K financed) for his GS than myself for the Lancer. Like most races between similiar cars its all about reaction if yours is faster you will more than likely tie; if yours is much faster you will win, but not by a great margin.
Old Jun 24, 2002, 12:40 PM

whats BHP on a eclipse GS?

^^^
so my oz rally lancer has around 110 bhp according to that website man oh man maybe i should have baught a diff car lol.. but hey i baught it to fix up and cuz it was different.. hrm.. and suggestions on performance for my next step i have exhaust and intake.. what else besides turbo already looking into that.
Old Jun 24, 2002, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Listen...you may have 120 crank HP, but only 103.6, according to I2R, is reaching the wheels. After mods, the car gained I believe only 8.1 HP and that was an intake, an offroad downpipe, and a full exhaust. Even after all that, the Lancer put down 111.9. Not phenomenal numbers but they should make it more fun to drive. Listen...even with the Injen intake, you'll gain over the Buschur one say (hypothesis) 2,3, MAYBE 4 HP? Let's give your exhaust vs. the Buschur one equal numbers and you're maybe running at 115 wheel horsepower. All I can say is, if your friend is running the basest GS, go for it and murder him. If he's running the 16v version, hope it's out of tune for the most part. As for shifting shift at 5.5k, why, because that's peak power. In a street race unless you plan on busting through red lights, you're using only say...3 gears. As for the initial launch, try it at say 3k and work your way up or down depending. You're trying to avoid wheel spin while also getting the most power you can to the ground from the start.
Old Jun 24, 2002, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

alright alright... jus chill everyone. I can answer your question fast bro. My answer is been there done that! Yep i ran a gs off the line when i had an intake only... and yep i beat him about a car and a half. I dunno if it was poor shifting on his part or what. It kinda was a messed up street too cuz it was curved. He was on the inner lane of the curve so i could basicly say he also had a handicap... go for it dood...
Old Jun 24, 2002, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for completely negating my post Cliff...here I am posting my technical jargon and you explain it in plain English. *sigh* I hate you. So yeah Rhoades...best of luck, hope you come back victorious.
Old Jun 24, 2002, 12:50 PM

lol.. geezus IM GONNA GO FOR IT>

pray for me people lol this guy is a friend of mine and you know how that goes ill never hear the end of it if i lose. I haven't said crap about my car. and i dont put donw his car and never have. but just being that i know him if i lose hassel from hell but oh well. im gonna go for it cuz if i when maybe he wont keep ragging me about racing him.
Thanks for the info everyone. it wont be for a few weeks b4 i get to race him he is out of town i have time to practice hehe. any suggestions of last min performance parts i could get in the next two weeks that might help me some? besides turbo intake or exhaust i dont have turbo but already have my eye on a rpw stage 3 kit. any suggestions for somethign else?

*im gonna take out the seats weight advantage lol j/k*
Old Jun 24, 2002, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

With a stage 3 kit you're getting a complete engine rebuild pretty much and are probably going to sacrifice some if not a lot of driveability but that's in the way far future until RPW works on adapting their kits to the 4G94. Anyways, you could get a header for probably the best HP/TQ gains as well as swapping out your cats for a test pipe from RRM. There's not much doin' to a little econobox tha'ts not a TC or SC or all motor route (cam swaps, cam gears, etc).

Quick Reply: Lancer 0z rally vs. Eclipse GS