Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Bumper Shutters & Mirror Block Offs?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2011, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
They work and look nice you can't beat that.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jason (AngryEvo8) did a awesome job on these. On the Junk Box i am running the mirror block offs he made. I think they look good on the Evo 8 bumpers. Looks agressive. Good thing about them is you can take them off whenever you like Congrats on the new personal best time as well!
Old Nov 9, 2011, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do they mount? Any pics off the car?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wickedwhite8
How do they mount? Any pics off the car?
We used 3M double-sided tape to mount them. The pieces between the logo use the factory bolts on the bottom and tape at the top. I'm going to play with the fitment and try to mold the bottom pieces a little better with a heat gun when time allows.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Creamo3
The looks are subjective and you're entitled to your opinion, I hope you realize these are temporary items that get removed once you're done racing. The thinking behind these is to have the air pass around the outside of the car as smoothly as possible and avoid any turbulence or parachuting affect of the front bumper. You'll see a lot of drag cars with full fiberglass front ends with no openings to keep the car as aerodynamic as possible.
i understand its concept to guide air around the bumper instead of being trapped in the corner holes of the bumper. but again why not just use the small ones you can glue in from the back of the bumper? do they not work the same?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

If you're looking for a more permanent option that sounds like it would work fine. Unless we take a car into a wind tunnel we'll never really know which method is best.

Originally Posted by evodan2004
i understand its concept to guide air around the bumper instead of being trapped in the corner holes of the bumper. but again why not just use the small ones you can glue in from the back of the bumper? do they not work the same?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats on the new PB. I fiber glassed in a set of the ones Jim K made(the ones sold on 9sec9 and BR website), I'm hoping they perform. What tires were you on?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wheatley
Congrats on the new PB. I fiber glassed in a set of the ones Jim K made(the ones sold on 9sec9 and BR website), I'm hoping they perform. What tires were you on?
Thanks! Post up some pics of what you did, I bet it looks slick. I was running 17x7 MT motorcycle slicks.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

I don't have any cleaned up pics or pics of the bumper on the car but here is a quick snap after I finished the glass work. I just put a small amount of epoxy on the blockoff and then glassed around the back to make sure they stayed in place. I wanted a more low key look to the front end and being permanent wasn't a big concern.

I wonder how much the mirrors effect mph in the 1/4

Last edited by Wheatley; Nov 9, 2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Found another pic installed on the car.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wheatley
I don't have any cleaned up pics or pics of the bumper on the car but here is a quick snap after I finished the glass work. I just put a small amount of epoxy on the blockoff and then glassed around the back to make sure they stayed in place. I wanted a more low key look to the front end and being permanent wasn't a big concern.

I wonder how much the mirrors effect mph in the 1/4

exactly what i did. looks awesome man. good luck.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Creamo3

Any over heating issues with blocking off the radiator?

Last edited by dsmfan95; Nov 9, 2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dsmfan95
Any over heating issues with blocking off the radiator?
My coolant temps stayed in check, I usually let the car cool down after 1 or 2 passes though. Daily driving with them on probably wouldn't be a good idea.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evodan2004
exactly what i did. looks awesome man. good luck.
Yea but it still lets the bumper direct air into the pockets and create more drag then just letting it pass through. The point of the other ones are to BLOCK off the hole, redirecting air smoothly with the contour of the bumper.

OP

Send me a set to test on my new 8 (10.2@141mph), I can do a review and send them back or buy them afterwords if you like. 3 weeks left to make passes for me.

Jr
Old Nov 10, 2011, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

I can see your point. Makes sense but I think the smaller block off will perform just as well. Being we are trying to push a brick threw the air and most guys are under 150mph I dought there is much difference between the 2 versions. Imo it has to look good and perform. I am not digging the look of the block off for the Evo 8. The 9car bumper I think looks good. Well better.

Originally Posted by Junior@Turbotrix
Yea but it still lets the bumper direct air into the pockets and create more drag then just letting it pass through. The point of the other ones are to BLOCK off the hole, redirecting air smoothly with the contour of the bumper.

OP

Send me a set to test on my new 8 (10.2@141mph), I can do a review and send them back or buy them afterwords if you like. 3 weeks left to make passes for me.

Jr
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Junior@Turbotrix

OP

Jr
I agree completely and without wind tunnel testing it is impossible to know exactly how either one performs. I wanted the best of looks and performance combined. I know for a fact my driving would be more inconsistent than the difference in the two types of shutters.

To the OP. I don't think yours look bad, they are removable and are for strip purposes only so I think they are great for the intended purpose.

Quick Reply: Bumper Shutters & Mirror Block Offs?