Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

QM 8-leg; Street or Race version?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Question QM 8-leg; Street or Race version?

I can't decide what clutch I want to run. They have the street version which is rated for 600ft/lbs of TQ, and the race version that can hold up to 900ft/lb.

I don't think I'll be going past 600tq, maybe 550 at most, but I'd like to run the race just because the price is the same. The car will see around 5k miles on the street, and probably 10 track visits (over 50-70 launches) next season.

Is the RACE a lot more harsh for street driving? Is it harder on the engine? Would like to run it if its not that bad. Which one do you have in yours?? Input?

Thanks!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Currently using the street flywheel with the race disks. The car has seen about 5k miles so far and probably close to 100 launches. So far I am happy with this clutch and once you get used to it, it becomes quite driveable on the street.

My biggest question is just how much longer this clutch will last with the abuse I have been giving it.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info. How did you go about picking and choosing what parts you wanted? What pressure plate does it have? or are the PP's the same?

Still looking for more people with input

Last edited by badev0; Sep 25, 2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have used both flywheels. The street is similar to a exedy twin but quicker engagement. Switching to the race flywheel I did notice a diffrance in driveability. It is more difficult to drive due to the lighter flywheel but there are some sacrifices you need to make in oder to go fast, im sure you know that Pressure plates are the same. I would go with the race due to the lighter flywheel. Sure it might make street driving no so pleasant, but you get the hang of it rather fast.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Used the race setup, with a fresh shep trans. Clutch was great, never gave me a single issue. Couldn't make it slip if I tred. It quickly destroyed my transmission, eventually locking 4th out completely after maybe 1k miles. The disks are unsprung, which I believe is the main reason for my issue.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I used the race fw, was a little dif to drive for me. I also messed a synchro. Now Im waiting on my trans and did get a street version fw to try.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recommend the Race version Scott. Especially for Drag racing and the amount of lauches you want to do. It will take you a little bit of time to get used to the QM race coming from an Exedy but its not that bad on the street at all. I drove the race version all last season on the QM and this season a couple times on the street. It just takes a few times getting used to. Thats my 02 bud
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

How many miles do you have now of the QM race version? I had 49k miles @540whp/478tq on my Exedy twin HD before I got rid of it. I DD the car and race almost every weekend on the street and every other month at the track. I have triple carbon now and I hate it cause it's not good for dd. It slips then grab then slips then grab lol. I was looking on this QM 8leg race version too or just get the exedy triple cerametallic cause some people say QMwont last for DD!?

Originally Posted by Evosick2332
I recommend the Race version Scott. Especially for Drag racing and the amount of lauches you want to do. It will take you a little bit of time to get used to the QM race coming from an Exedy but its not that bad on the street at all. I drove the race version all last season on the QM and this season a couple times on the street. It just takes a few times getting used to. Thats my 02 bud

Last edited by evotris; Sep 26, 2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm using street flywheel with the race disks ,
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evotris
How many miles do you have now of the QM race version? I had 49k miles @540whp/478tq on my Exedy twin HD before I got rid of it. I DD the car and race almost every weekend on the street and every other month at the track. I have triple carbon now and I hate it cause it's not good for dd. It slips then grab then slips then grab lol. I was looking on this QM 8leg race version too or just get the exedy triple cerametallic cause some people say QMwont last for DD!?
I would have to look into some paperwork to see exactly how many miles I hace put on mine but my guestimate is around 5k miles. My understanding is the qm is cheaper to rebuild when needed and the floated plates are thicker. My current plan is to replace with the exact same race disks I have when the time comes. Around 5-7 hundred to rebuild is not bad in my opinion.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for all the input everyone. It is very appreciated
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:12 PM
mnf

Race version
Old May 18, 2014, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

I keep getting mixed responses on what is even different between the two 8-leg versions? I have heard its the flywheels, I have heard its the clutch disc, pressure plate......who has the real answer?
Old May 18, 2014, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I originally ordered the race version. I talked to QM and they told me the only difference was the heavier flywheel. So I ordered the street flywheel for my set up.
Old May 18, 2014, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Why are people saying they have the street flywheel with race disks when the only difference between the street clutch and race clutch is the flywheel.

Are there street disks and race disks too?

Quick Reply: QM 8-leg; Street or Race version?