Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Why is my friend's cobra faster?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evospoolin
And everyone asks a stupid question at some point.. it was stupid of me to even make this thread I was just frustrated about the loss and mainly wanted to vent so sorry if that offends you guys..

But I would appreciate any tips on reaching 500whp because I do really want to beat him

Ok I know my car is not as fast as a GTR lol sorry I just don't know much about mustangs
Look into HTA35 or 6262< cop out imo but it does the job. Start considering a new block if your wanting anything over 400 trq

Also you said he beat you by maybe a car and a half? was he pulling away/staying even? He should be putting down around 500~ Like i mentioned but that would walk away pretty hardcore from a low 400awhp car.

Last edited by kaonashi; Nov 27, 2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by evospoolin
Thanks for the informative post instead of talking crap.. 500whp is my new goal. I just underestimated his car I guess.

Oh and 2 of the races were run at 20psi last year because when I first got this setup I was super paranoid. (this car is my DD)

This last race was in Charleston last week, we both went up to redline together and I had mine tuned to 25 psi, which is what my friend with the cobra recommended. We went to the track later that day and he still beat me but by just a little over a car length. Is 30psi safe though? I daily drive this car and I don't want it to blow up
Ignore your friend, he is an idiot, you cannot just turn up the boost. The car has to be tuned to run certain boost levels.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would suggest filling out your profile with all mods then everyone will be able to help guide you toward your goal. GL
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Sell your evo and buy a real car ..lol..
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

if you want that kind of power, you might want to consider getting another car for your daily driver...
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by kaonashi
Look into HTA35 or 6262< cop out imo but it does the job. Start considering a new block if your wanting anything over 400 trq

Also you said he beat you by maybe a car and a half? was he pulling away/staying even? He should be putting down around 500~ Like i mentioned but that would walk away pretty hardcore from a low 400awhp car.
In the 1/8th it was about a car length in the 1/4th mile he walked me pretty good. And yeah I'll probably end up going with a new block but i'll need to get a dd first

Originally Posted by gamebred26
Sell your evo and buy a real car ..lol..
Judging from your avatar you must be a stang guy lol. You gotta admit though our evos are pretty impressive cars for four cylinders. I have a new respect for V8s and have always admittedly liked the sound of them.. but I would not want to part with my evo.

Originally Posted by Evil8MR
if you want that kind of power, you might want to consider getting another car for your daily driver...
Yeah i'm probably gonna have to wait until I can get a dd to start doing more work on it. My friend with the cobra daily drives a truck, so he doesn't have to worry about having a running car to use when he works on his mustang.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8426
Ignore your friend, he is an idiot, you cannot just turn up the boost. The car has to be tuned to run certain boost levels.
not true, that's only if you have a ECU boost controller. If you have a manual boost controller, just crank dat ***** up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SDevo13
Hey guys, I'm having a similar problem. My 750whp evo is getting raped by my friends GT-R. Don't think he has any mods other than this badge that says "Alpha 12" on it. I know my car is faster than a stock GTR, not sure what's going on.
Look for nos because adding a badge, although many can add upwards of 100hp with the right stickers, won't beat your 745awhp Evo....

But on a serious note, don't listen to your friend with the Cobra and crank up the boost. You need to tune for it in order for it not to cause any damage. Also, your turbo should be good for about a little more than what you are at, if you are really only at 20psi. Depending on the fuel you use you should be able to get to mid to low 11's with a gt30, even though the ATP kit is garbage.

Turn up the boost, get a good tuner and be happy with it. His Cobra has a lot of advantages compared to your car and will be difficult to beat but it doesn't sound like he is THAT quick, just quicker than you. DO SOME RESEARCH and you won't get flamed for being ignorant.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:35 AM

Why not switch to E85? If its not abundant just get a second tune on your stock ecu (which your probably rockin). So you can run 9* or E85. Big differance in power IMO. Better than just "cranking" the boost when your cars not tuned for it and blowing something up.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

OMG i went 11.29 on a stock turbo and pump gas! you only go high 11's?! you need a driver mod before anything else. Take it somewhere that knows evo's! you should be in the LOW 11's or HIGH 10's on pump gas and completely safe if you have the supporting mods.

Last edited by BURNALL_4; Nov 28, 2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
not true, that's only if you have a ECU boost controller. If you have a manual boost controller, just crank dat ***** up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
So your saying his car is tuned for X amount of boost and he can just "crank it up" and not be retuned for the added boost and be fine hmm yea no. yes if he has a mbc he can "crank it up" but safely hell no and if you just crank your boast over what it's tuned for good luck with that
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DsmGuy86
So your saying his car is tuned for X amount of boost and he can just "crank it up" and not be retuned for the added boost and be fine hmm yea no. yes if he has a mbc he can "crank it up" but safely hell no and if you just crank your boast over what it's tuned for good luck with that
I thought of responding to him but I believe he was just being a smartass. But if he wasn't then well, he is just a dumbass
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo8426
I thought of responding to him but I believe he was just being a smartass. But if he wasn't then well, he is just a dumbass
Yea I figured being a smart a$$ but if someone is gulable enough I can see them cranking there boost to 30+ lbs and boom lol don't want someone to have a bad day lol
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You need this MOD.....
Attached Thumbnails Why is my friend's cobra faster?-nos.jpg   Why is my friend's cobra faster?-nos2.jpg  

Last edited by 4RETECH; Nov 28, 2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

My Mommy said to not let people tell me what to do, so I listened and turned the boost to 30 psi without a tune. Take that you stinky pants...

Quick Reply: Why is my friend's cobra faster?