Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

My 2013 IDRC results

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2013, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2013 IDRC results

Sunday was the 6th annual IDRC race at Norwalk. I built my car around the True Street class but last minute found out that a qtp DOT was not allowed.. It ended up working out as Shep took home the win in TS with an 8.9 in his gtr. This put me in AWD/RWD with no rules other than no tube chassis. This put me against Devins low 8 second 2g, Joeys Junk Box that has gone high 8s, Chris's 3794 Evo, a 9 second compound turbo auto 1g, Dave's high 9 second Evo and Jasons 6466 Evo that has gone 9.4 on low boost. Needless to say the field had 2 sets of matched cars in my opinion.

I finished the car up late Thursday night with minimal street miles to try and dial the tune in after the new fuel setup. I think I put about 20 miles on the car and loaded it up with the tune still lean and not having done any wot shifting or launches since October of last year.

This was my first ever competition and racing on a protree. The timing was the hardest part for me. I've never competed and I have my staging routine on a sportsman tree. I have an issue with over boosting on 2 step (38psi) that just blows the tires off if I'm on it for more than .5 second. I hadn't had time to sort the issue out and limiting my time on the 2 step was a short term fix. I'm used to getting on the 2step on the second yellow, As a result I only managed a best of a 1.51 60' this weekend in qualifying.

First round qualifying I ran a new pb 1/8 mph of 114 and 1/4 mph of 151 along with a 9.9 off the trailer with a high 1.69 60'. I forgot to set my staging brake up to drop instead of having to release the lock and set it down myself. It was an overload to say the least, I short shifted second and the car rode the limiter through forth. I knew it was quick being on limiter that long but I didn't expect 151mph.

Before 3rd round qualifying I bumped the limiter up even though its past the comfort zone for Marco on a 100mm stroke. I never thought I'd be revving this high on a 26" tire with a 4.11fd, I also never expected it to trap this high and built it around 145mph traps I thought it would do.

Third round qualifier ended up having Joey in the other lane. I cut an okay 60' of a 1.53 but missed second trying to no lift shift. It's never been able to be shifted like that but it felt smooth so I tried it. Turns out it wasn't going to happen but it ended up being a good thing to give more room between us. Joeys car lost traction at the 1000' but he was able to recover luckily. Nothing major but some bad timing for Joey as it was on a run for a new PB this weekend. Ended up having two black evos rolling through the pits strapped together, one 9 second evo flat towing an 8 second evo. Hillbilly as hell but it beats pushing 1000'.

First round eliminations had at least 3 of us doing Comp Bi runs. I wanted more practice launching so I got into it but failed. 1.7 60' 9.9@149

Second round of eliminations I was pretty confident I would be out of competition and over making practice hits in Test n Tune. It was against Devin of Boostin Performance and his gorgeous low 8 sec 2g. Just like the first half of the day I had a terrible rt and 60'. The track turned out to be pretty bad for the big power guys causing Devins car to lose traction in second and crossing the center line. It's a bull**** way to win but honestly the only way other than him breaking. I'd rather have the win on a dq rather than him breaking or worse.

Still surprised to be racing but still pretty confident I was about to be sent to the trailer. Jason's 6466 car had already gone 9.4 a few times and he's a much better driver and owns me on a protree. This was a BS win through and through. I know its part of racing but pretty much the lamest way to win. I saw the red light and actually thought I redlit at first. Since Jason was still flooring it I decided to as well. I hate to just make hits for the hell of it but I need the practice driving. His car later went 161mph! Full interior street car, its going to be making some really impressive ETs soon.

I hate being at the starting line for a long time and it usually throws me off what little game I have. Being an auto car I knew he was going to try and get it up on converter and roll into staging. This car was a 1g auto with a compound turbo setup that had gone 9.90s already. I should have just waited to let him stage and maybe had a better shot of keeping the boost down and getting a better 60'. This turned out to be a chase! It was a damn good run and I knew if I had any chance that every shift was going to have to count. Here's the run break down.

him ---------- me
r/t -. 235 ---------- .624
60' - 1.508 ---------- 1.649
330 - 4.227 ---------- 4.415
1/8 - 6.465 ---------- 6.560
mph- 109.22 -------- 114.71
1000- 8.430 --------- 8.368
1/4- 10.079 ---------- 9.864
mph- 136.83 --------- 151.24

I think pretty much everything is a new PB for me other than the 60'. I''m very happy with how the car ran and have a few things I need to address. I'm also very happy with a 2nd place win in a class I didn't plan to be put in and for my first ever competition. I finally got to put a lot of faces to names and meet some really great people. I also want to thank everyone that helped out this weekend.

Last edited by Wheatley; May 26, 2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old May 26, 2013, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got another video on facebook of you running the last one. I tried adding/finding you and couldnt.
Old May 26, 2013, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats Wheatley!
Old May 26, 2013, 11:57 PM
Evolving Member

Great video bro. i know all the IL guys and boosting crew.
Old May 27, 2013, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
awesome right up and congrats on the 2nd place. your right. its racing and it was in your favor. so enjoy it. you 100% deserve it.
Old May 27, 2013, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
nice write up! congrats on the second!,

I took a seat after the first round also racing the compound turbo 1G, I had him by 4 tenths off the tree but he ran 9.8 to my 10.3.. same situation as you, my setup is full trim street car, I mean full exhaust, interior, etc and just run the QTP's, so I also got into the AWD class instead of true street.. looking around the staging lane was like "uh oh.. what did I get myself into" lol... it was a great day for racing though!
Old May 27, 2013, 06:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Good job Mr. Wheats!!
Old May 27, 2013, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats! Anything goes in racing and you had a great showing for your first event. What an event with most of the baddest cars of 2013 there.
Old May 27, 2013, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Any other updates from this event?
Old May 27, 2013, 12:28 PM

Only shot I got with the go pro, I was having issues with it all day.

Red demon vs. wheatley

Old May 27, 2013, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Car looked nice man! I had no idea it was yours. Maybe we can actually talk at the Shootout if you come.

Again very nice car and can't wait to see it run again.
Old May 27, 2013, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tdt1805
I got another video on facebook of you running the last one. I tried adding/finding you and couldnt.
Is your name Jack? I had one video on my feed and didn't know if that was you?

Originally Posted by Colt4g63
Congrats Wheatley!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by b boy
Great video bro. i know all the IL guys and boosting crew.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by evodan2004
awesome right up and congrats on the 2nd place. your right. its racing and it was in your favor. so enjoy it. you 100% deserve it.
Thanks Dan!

Originally Posted by Liqquid
nice write up! congrats on the second!,

I took a seat after the first round also racing the compound turbo 1G, I had him by 4 tenths off the tree but he ran 9.8 to my 10.3.. same situation as you, my setup is full trim street car, I mean full exhaust, interior, etc and just run the QTP's, so I also got into the AWD class instead of true street.. looking around the staging lane was like "uh oh.. what did I get myself into" lol... it was a great day for racing though!
That would have been a great race to see!

Originally Posted by FathouseFab
Good job Mr. Wheats!!
Thanks, glad you guys were able to make it up.

Originally Posted by Freddy302
Congrats! Anything goes in racing and you had a great showing for your first event. What an event with most of the baddest cars of 2013 there.
It was a blast for sure!

Originally Posted by Craig King
Any other updates from this event?
IPS c6 went 7.20@207 before catching on fire and other than that I have limited info since I was in staging or busting *** in the pits between rounds.

Originally Posted by StreetThisEvo
Car looked nice man! I had no idea it was yours. Maybe we can actually talk at the Shootout if you come.

Again very nice car and can't wait to see it run again.
Thanks, I walked up but there was a crowd of people. Car looked good man, I wish my car had the miles yours does! I ran right after you almost took the tree out, I don't know if you went back and looked but the marks you left gave me chills every time I pulled up to the line.

I'll be at the Shootout, I always am whether the car is done or not.
Old May 27, 2013, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats man on your 9.8 pass the weekend and getting to the finals! It was nice meeting you and talking to you on Sunday as well. Your car looked great! Thanks for the tow back cuz it did beat pushing lol See you in August man
Old May 28, 2013, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

For putting the car together/tuning it on such a tight timeframe it turned out great.Congrats on your new personal best. With a track that actually hooks I see lower 9sec passes with ease for you. Was nice to finally meet up and shoot ****. I need to practice that pro tree and ebrake too I'm a little to antsy see ya in August Matt!
Old May 28, 2013, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

goo job congrats

Quick Reply: My 2013 IDRC results