Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

So close.... 9.018 @ 158.58 mph at the 2014 DSM/EVO/GT-R Shootout

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So close.... 9.018 @ 158.58 mph at the 2014 DSM/EVO/GT-R Shootout

Well the 2014 DSM/EVO/GT-R Shootout is finally over. What a great weekend! Thank you to everyone involved in putting on the event. Special thanks goes out to all those who have help support me throughout the years. Friends, family, sponsors, etc... It was also great to see those I only see once a year. And not to mention all of the badass cars!

Friday August 15th, 2014 (Dyno day at Buschur Racing - Wakeman, Ohio)

Spent most of the day relaxing and checking out everyone's cars. Early afternoon we decided to throw the car on the dyno to check the tune. It had been over a year since it was on the dyno last. The car made just about 800 whp (3rd gear) on Buschur Racing's mustang dyno. In 2013 it made 811. We were happy with the tune and let it be. Most of the fine tuning we do at the race track anyway. I was pleased to see not much had changed since last year.

Saturday August 16th, 2014 (Test & Tune and 1st round of qualifying at Summit Racing Motorsport Parkway - Norwalk, Ohio)

Test & tune started around 3:00 PM and I couldn't wait to run the car. 1st pass off the trailer I crushed my old best time of 9.37 with a 9.167 @ 141.65 mph. It blew the lower intercooler pipe off at about the 900' mark. That is why my mph was so low. This was the first time I have ever run a 5.x in the 1/8th mile as well. Needless to say I was pretty pumped.

1st pass video:

After the 1st pass I reviewed the log and we made a few changes to the tune. I got right back in line to run again. 2nd pass was even better yet! 9.018 @ 158.58 mph. Once again the lower intercooler pipe blew off, but at about the 1200' mark. Damn....so close to 8's

2nd pass video:

Again we reviewed the log and made a few changes. I was having some issues controlling boost through the AEM solenoid.

The last pass of the day was the 1st round of qualifying. I entered the Quick Street 32 class. I felt it was a perfect class for my car. I was almost the only car in the class with a full interior, mirrors, and wipers. I only pulled the rear seats out as I knew it was an easy 25 lbs. The car got a little out of shape on this run and I rode pretty close to the wall but was able to get it back on course. Ended up running a 9.132 @ 159.44 mph. This was quick enough to put me as the # 1 qualifier in my class.

3rd pass video:

Sunday August 17th, 2014 (2nd & 3rd round of qualifying and eliminations at Summit Racing Motorsport Parkway - Norwalk, Ohio)

Got up bright and early Sunday morning to it raining. Looking at the radar I knew it would pass soon. Brought my computer over to David to look at and we noticed with the changes to the boost in 4th gear the car had almost zero timing in 4th gear. This explained why my trap speed was so slow. My car almost always picks up at least 40 mph in the back half. Knowing that I had left a lot on the table the day before I was excited to run again.

Despite my want to run again I decided to sit out the 2nd and 3rd round of qualifying knowing I was the # 1 qualifier. After a long delay thanks to the rain eliminations finally got underway. 1st round of eliminations I got the bye run. I took it easy and didn't run the car hard. 2nd round of eliminations I get paired up against a very nice 1g. I bring the car up on the two step and launch...bog. Boost recovers and I have to run the other guy down. I run it through 1st and 2nd gear and I'm gaining ground back fast. I hit third gear and it falls on it's face. I ride it out in an attempt to catch the guy I'm racing. But It wasn't enough and I knew something was wrong. I lift and coast to the end of the track.

Back at the trailer we discover the weld that holds the wastegate to the collector completely broke off causing a massive boost leak. That was it for the weekend and we loaded it up on the trailer.

------------------------------------------------------------

There is going to be a few changes made to the car over the next couple of weeks. I think a new Buschur BFIC and piping is a must. This outing was very helpful and I learned a lot about the car. Boost is perfect and only drops 1-2 psi by redline. A few suspension changes need to be made as well.

With a solid 1.3 sixty and the changes made to my timing map she should fly next time out. Reviewing my time slips I feel a high 8.7 @ 165 mph is there. But anything honestly in the 8's would make me happy.

I've been hunting 8's for quite sometime now. A 9.01 is such a tease. But I am confident it will happen soon. The car runs strong and I am so impressed with the power band. Gotta love a built Buschur Racing 2.0 L

Keep posted I hope to run it again very soon.

** If anyone has any videos or pictures of my car from the event please send them to Christopher.Young1212@gmail.com or text me at (330) 858.5038 - Thanks! **

Another Video:

Last edited by StreetThisEvo; Sep 12, 2014 at 03:46 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
congrats on your new best time. you have 8s in the bag!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Man i have been Fallowing this Car For years. Hoping you get that 8's Pass Soon. What Manifold Do you Run?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so close !!! you will get it
Old Aug 21, 2014, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
awesome car, congrats on the new person best, 8's right around the corner
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

WOW awesome car! If you don't mind me asking what turbo and what PSI are you running? Do you no your weight with driver?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Congrats Chris! I watched the two 9.01 passes and the car was hauling for sure. Car should definitely go 8s next time out. Good Luck man!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Evo 8 or 8?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 5LEEPERISAH23I
WOW awesome car! If you don't mind me asking what turbo and what PSI are you running? Do you no your weight with driver?
I don't mind at all. There is nothing to hide nor do I need to make numbers up to impress anyone.

1st gear - 25 psi
2nd gear - 42 psi
3rd gear - 46 psi
4th gear - 49 psi

The boost may quickly spike a hair higher at the start of each gear but very quickly settles to the numbers I have listed above.

As it sat at the Shootout the car was around 2780 lbs with me in it. I'm probably 220 lbs with all of my gear on. Last year when I weighed my car it was 2590 in street trim with the radial tires on it and about a 1/4 tank of fuel. My slicks weigh a little less than my street tires and I had the back seat removed which saved another 25 lbs. The weight at the Shootout without me and the same 1/4 tank of fuel is roughly 2560 lbs.

Last edited by StreetThisEvo; Aug 21, 2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evosick2332
Congrats Chris! I watched the two 9.01 passes and the car was hauling for sure. Car should definitely go 8s next time out. Good Luck man!
Thank you Joey!

I can't wait to run it again. Hopefully soon

Originally Posted by thepoint4life23
Man i have been Fallowing this Car For years. Hoping you get that 8's Pass Soon. What Manifold Do you Run?
I run a one-off Buschur Racing exhaust manifold and a STM ported Skunk 2 intake manifold w/ a Full Blown 70mm throttle body.

Originally Posted by fimotorsports
awesome car, congrats on the new person best, 8's right around the corner
Thank you. It feels good to finally leave with a new personal best after a few years of nothing.

Last edited by StreetThisEvo; Aug 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Are you going to do to fix the manifold?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thepoint4life23
Are you going to do to fix the manifold?
Buschur will get it all fixed up and looking good again very soon!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Nice!!! Your almost there. I bet in the next couple months when it gets colder, you'll run high 8s for sure without even changing anything.

Hope you don't mind if I ask:

What psi boost off the launch?
What tires and psi on front and rear?
What turbo and clutch?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Incredible. Good luck hunting for the 8's. So close dude!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 03:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evotris
Nice!!! Your almost there. I bet in the next couple months when it gets colder, you'll run high 8s for sure without even changing anything.

Hope you don't mind if I ask:

What psi boost off the launch?
What tires and psi on front and rear?
What turbo and clutch?
I very much look forward to a nice fall Ohio night. We have some of the nicest weather for drag racing in late September and October.

I have no idea how much boost it makes on the 2 step. I'd have to look at the log. I launch around 7100-7300 rpm on Mickey Thompson ET slicks 26" x 8.5" x 15" usually with around 10-12 psi depending on the track. I keep all 4 tires the same psi. As for the turbo it is a Forced Performance HTA GT3794R. The clutch is a Tilton carbon/carbon twin disc.

Originally Posted by diambo4life
Incredible. Good luck hunting for the 8's. So close dude!
Thank you!

Quick Reply: So close.... 9.018 @ 158.58 mph at the 2014 DSM/EVO/GT-R Shootout