Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

So close.... 9.018 @ 158.58 mph at the 2014 DSM/EVO/GT-R Shootout

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2014, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StreetThisEvo
I don't mind at all. There is nothing to hide nor do I need to make numbers up to impress anyone.

1st gear - 25 psi
2nd gear - 42 psi
3rd gear - 46 psi
4th gear - 49 psi

The boost may quickly spike a hair higher at the start of each gear but very quickly settles to the numbers I have listed above.

As it sat at the Shootout the car was around 2780 lbs with me in it. I'm probably 220 lbs with all of my gear on. Last year when I weighed my car it was 2590 in street trim with the radial tires on it and about a 1/4 tank of fuel. My slicks weigh a little less than my street tires and I had the back seat removed which saved another 25 lbs. The weight at the Shootout without me and the same 1/4 tank of fuel is roughly 2560 lbs.

How often do you drive it? Or is it pretty much a full track car now. Im at 37-38PSI and nervous to turn up the boost "6466" I would love to run 41-43 PSI but kind of scared of the motor letting go or something! Im on a 2.4L what do you think. I lost my first race with this setup last night "780whp c6 Z06 with Drag pack" Lost 2 times by less then a car! If I raised it to 40psi I would of won I think!
Old Sep 8, 2014, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5LEEPERISAH23I
How often do you drive it? Or is it pretty much a full track car now. Im at 37-38PSI and nervous to turn up the boost "6466" I would love to run 41-43 PSI but kind of scared of the motor letting go or something! Im on a 2.4L what do you think. I lost my first race with this setup last night "780whp c6 Z06 with Drag pack" Lost 2 times by less then a car! If I raised it to 40psi I would of won I think!
Not quite that easy. I wouldn't just go upping the boost unless your car is tuned in that headroom area to accept it. At that boost level (above 40 psi) it becomes a game that can very quickly turn south with you on the receiving end. Also what fuel are you on? With the seasonal changes happening now I assume E85 is going to start changing to different grades. CHECK IT .... don't just assume its 85%. I believe Chris runs E98 which is a completely different animal. You are going to have to make some adjustments with Tom to run that boost level.

HOWEVER, the 6466 and 6766 (which I run) happen to love the +40 psi threshold, there will also be a noticeable difference from the 35 to 40+psi area. Just be careful and youll be fine.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

When the car isn't down being upgraded / fixed I drive it on the weekends when I can as well as weather permitting. Usually during the week I don't have the free time to enjoy it. I take it out and enjoy it when it is nice. It is stored all winter as Ohio is known for using way to much salt. And the cold temps result in zero traction lol.

I would think the 6466 would love 40-42 psi. As long as you are tuned for it and have the proper fuel setup for that much power I'd say go for it. How high do you rev it? With my Buschur 2.0 I make peak power at redline (10,000 rpm). It loves to rev!
Old Sep 11, 2014, 01:24 PM

Congrats on the runs, this is great news.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 03:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hppwdn
Congrats on the runs, this is great news.
Thanks man
Old Sep 12, 2014, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

When the car isn't down being upgraded / fixed I drive it on the weekends when I can as well as weather permitting. Usually during the week I don't have the free time to enjoy it. I take it out and enjoy it when it is nice. It is stored all winter as Ohio is known for using way to much salt. And the cold temps result in zero traction lol.

I would think the 6466 would love 40-42 psi. As long as you are tuned for it and have the proper fuel setup for that much power I'd say go for it. How high do you rev it? With my Buschur 2.0 I make peak power at redline (10,000 rpm). It loves to rev!

Well yesterday it was a nice day. High 70's turned it up to 41 psi. During the first at this boost level 3rd gear let go around 5k RPM so I no longer have a 3rd its like a second natural. Ill be ripping it apart this weekend to get it repair. "This was a Shep Trans with 10,000 mile on it."
Old Sep 12, 2014, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Well yesterday it was a nice day. High 70's turned it up to 41 psi. During the first at this boost level 3rd gear let go around 5k RPM so I no longer have a 3rd its like a second natural. Ill be ripping it apart this weekend to get it repair. "This was a Shep Trans with 10,000 mile on it."
Ouch...sorry to hear.

Give Jon a call at TRE. Best transmission builder...period.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Congrats on the new personal best Chris. I'm confident you'll break into the 8's next time out.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
That's what I told him but he didn't listen
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Ouch...sorry to hear.

Yep.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

I don't mind at all. There is nothing to hide nor do I need to make numbers up to impress anyone.

1st gear - 25 psi
2nd gear - 42 psi
3rd gear - 46 psi
4th gear - 49 psi

The boost may quickly spike a hair higher at the start of each gear but very quickly settles to the numbers I have listed above.

As it sat at the Shootout the car was around 2780 lbs with me in it. I'm probably 220 lbs with all of my gear on. Last year when I weighed my car it was 2590 in street trim with the radial tires on it and about a 1/4 tank of fuel. My slicks weigh a little less than my street tires and I had the back seat removed which saved another 25 lbs. The weight at the Shootout without me and the same 1/4 tank of fuel is roughly 2560 lbs.
So you do boost by gear I see. What you up above is that the spike for each gear? I would thought in 1st gear at 25psi you would bog off the line. How did you find the happy medium psi for each gear? So in 1st gear with my set up I have in my signature should 25psi be good for 1st then raise it up little by little for each gear? Just wondering how you figure this out. Is there some kind of mathematical term to figure this out?

Your car is a beast btw. Good luck in your quest for 8's. I am sure you will get it.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Your car did really well at the Shootout Chris. Looking forward to seeing you grab an 8 second pass. Are you going to be able to make it out again before the season is over? Only a few more weeks!

Scott
Old Oct 21, 2014, 08:10 PM

Congratulations on making it DEEP into the 9's!!!
Old Oct 23, 2014, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BR350VIII004
Congratulations on making it DEEP into the 9's!!!
Thank you

Originally Posted by badev0
Your car did really well at the Shootout Chris. Looking forward to seeing you grab an 8 second pass. Are you going to be able to make it out again before the season is over? Only a few more weeks!

Scott
I hope so! New intercooler piping is being made tomorrow at Buschur for my new FMIC setup. After that I should be ready to rock & roll.

I was hoping to run it this weekend but no tracks are open in NE Ohio this weekend. Next weekend I'll be in Chicago. So it will have to be after that I guess. Aaron from RealTune usually rents Thompson out mid November. It may have to wait until then. Hopefully the weather holds.

Originally Posted by FL_SilverEvo8
So you do boost by gear I see. What you up above is that the spike for each gear? I would thought in 1st gear at 25psi you would bog off the line. How did you find the happy medium psi for each gear? So in 1st gear with my set up I have in my signature should 25psi be good for 1st then raise it up little by little for each gear? Just wondering how you figure this out. Is there some kind of mathematical term to figure this out?

Your car is a beast btw. Good luck in your quest for 8's. I am sure you will get it.
Thank you. No there is no mathematical calculation, etc...I control boost by vehicle speed. Boost may spike maybe a psi or two above what I have listed for a brief second. But for the most part it holds rock solid. Once you get the electronic boost controller setup and working right it really is nice. Everything is controlled through the AEM.

I want to keep power down in 1st gear to get it to launch like a 11 second car. Then once I'm in second start laying the power down. As I get more seat time with the car I will get more aggressive on the launch. I'd like to see 1.3 sixty foot times again.

The new changes being made to my setup should be very beneficial. I am excited to run the car again. I think it will trap 165-167 mph next time out if I can make the power it should make. And I do think a 8.7 is there as is but I'd be happy with anything in the 8's. It would be a great way to end the year.

Last edited by StreetThisEvo; Oct 23, 2014 at 04:34 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 03:49 AM
Evolved Member

Is it race season yet??? Hate Ohio weather

Quick Reply: So close.... 9.018 @ 158.58 mph at the 2014 DSM/EVO/GT-R Shootout