Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

EvoDan2004's 2015 Ohio shootout experience. and multiple reviews of some parts

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2015, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
EvoDan2004's 2015 Ohio shootout experience. and multiple reviews of some parts

What a weekend it was. It was the best shootout to date for me. After 2 years I finally was able to bring the car and enjoy it. We arrived Wednesday morning and got settled in. Thursday we hit cedar point park for a few hours. After that we spent the rest of the day washing and detailing the EVO.

Friday was the dyno day and car show. It really felt great to be a part of it this year instead of being a spectator. I want to thank everyone for the complements I got.

Friday night we hit the track. I planned to race in a class for the first time in my life. So I needed to qualify. I qualified with a 10.0 which was good enough for me. However I never raced on a pro tree light before. I don't know how you guys do it. That light was green before I knew it. You could make a pot of coffee before I started to move.

Anyways Saturday night I wanted to practice the light and also turn the car up some. It seemed I was going to struggle a bit with launching and timing on the light. Moral of the day was I finished with a 9.9X and captured a new PB MPH of 157.X. I was please to see the car had some potential in it.

Sunday came and I decided to make 1 more qualifying round pass just to loosen my nerves. I ended up bogging and that was that.

1st round of eliminations came up and frankly I was ****ting bricks. Basically screwed up the launch and tried to come around my opponent at the top end. I was catching up quickly but ended up blowing a line so I shut the pass down. Got to the pits and it was a intercooler line and my FPR line.

I lost my race and was eliminated. So at this point I waited for test and tune. But with all the breakage and the GTR crash TNT was not looking promising. I am glad that the GTR owner was able to walk out of that wreck and be able to live another day. I don't know the guy but saw what happened and I got sick to my stomach. I'm just glad he is OK and that the summit crew reacted quickly.

730pm roles around and it was going to be my last pass of the weekend. After making 5 9.9X passes ranging from 153 to 157 I really just wanted to beat my current 9.920 ET from 2012.

So my last pass was pretty poor off the line with a 1.80 60 foot. However the car ended up going 9.86 at 156.XX.

Over all I was happy with the car and pleased with my own performance given I haven't raced the car in 2 years.

But better is not good enough for me. So last night Friday I brought the car to a local rack. First pass ended up cutting a 1.61 60 foot. The car went 118 in the 1/8 at a 6.2X. Once I hit 4th gear the car cut out. So I lifted and got back in it and it cut out again on me so I then just got on the breaks around the 1200 foot mark and wanted to figure out what was wrong with the car.

I got my slip and saw that the car ended up going 9.71 at 137.X. I could not believe it. 9.71 with the car cutting out and me shutting down early. I feel I could have squeezed at least a 9.4 out of that pass. So quickly I went back to the pits and checked the log. It was boost cut.

I went back to the stinging lanes and was told to go visit tech inspection.

I got the book thrown at me. I need a licence, different fire jacket, points added to the cage, window net, parachute, etc. I begged and begged for 1 more pass. And I mean I begged. I knew what the car could do and I really wanted to prove it to my self. Unfortunately they would not let me go again so I'm stuck with what I have. Regardless the car is showing some nice potential.

Also the car was weighed at the track. With 3/4 ish worth of fuel the car was 2630 no driver.

On to some parts reviewing.

I will start with the 1 piece carbon driveshaft. I have around 1500 miles on it and I'd say about 10 passes down the track with it. Granted my 60 foots are not that great it is holding up perfectly. Zero vibrations at 160mph. So far I am pleased with its results.

Manual steering rack.
What an awesome mod this has been. All weekend from around town driving to racing this setup has been amazing. I didn't experience one issue with it what so ever. I was letting anyone who asked to feel the steering do so. And as far as I know no one had a bad thing to say.

Carbon fiber synchros
These things WORK. Flat out work. I can't shift for the life of me. I miss more gears then I find when racing. I am supper pleased with these things. The car shifts awesome and it even has given me a boost in confidence that I to can shift like some of you crazy *****. I highly recommend these.

Mp-fab catch can and coolant over flow
This is my 7th catch can from this company. And every single one works flawlessly. I keep changing styles and sizes to gain capacity. All weekend without having to inspect my catch can was really a good feeling.

Electric water pump
From tuning to street driving to racing. My setup works amazingly. Never once did the car approach 200 degrees. When driving depending on the weather it would sit around 145/165. When at a red light or just idling it peaks at 185 Max. When racing down the 1/4 mile. It has yet to exceed 188 and logs are showing I started at 175 to 180.

Special thanks to everyone involved with this car.

Alex at DogBox Racing for the sickest trans and engine builds possible

Craig at SparkTech ignitions for the baddest ignition ever built for a 4G63.

Walker at Morgan performance Fab for 7 catch cans, custom cross member, 3.5 inch exhaust.

Geoff at Full-Race for the sickest manifolds ever that just plan work

Tom at driven innovations for the intake manifold and soon to be new mods that are coming

Dan at diamond race cars for not 1 not 2 but 3 bad *** subframes.

Mark at MTK welding for the role bar and soon to be 10point upgrade

Jeff evens at Evans tuning for a bad *** tune. Always there to answer my many questions. I love the Haltech platform. My car is so much more enjoyable now then it ever has been. And now its quicker and faster. Thanks for being the tuner to actually put some time into the details with my car and not just the easy stuff. AAA+++

Much more to come from this car. We will see how far I get this year but things will slow down for me from here on out. I have my wedding in less then 2 months and the boss said play time is over.

Anyone with pics or vid of my car please post them up. I'd appreciate it a lot as I don't have much of anything yet. Thank you everyone for the support.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on the personal best. Sucks about the rules. I'm in the same boat but I rarely get to the track so the idea of getting all that equipment just sucks. At the power we're at I have to explain to everyone that just says "put a cage in it" that it goes way beyond just a cage.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 07:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Congrats on the new personal best with the car! Those single-digit passes sure are addicting, aren't they?

Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Nice going Dan! Keep up the great work & experimentation(s)! Thanks for sharing! -Howard
Old Aug 31, 2015, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boostin Perform
Congrats on the new personal best with the car! Those single-digit passes sure are addicting, aren't they?

indeed. i wnt to a different local track this past friday. i ended up clipping off a 9.48 @ 160.96 with a 1.61 60 foot. i am now not aloud at either track. i still feel with a better 60 foot and some better shifting i can get that ET much lower. how low? i only need .49 hahah.

Originally Posted by NJ9MR
Nice going Dan! Keep up the great work & experimentation(s)! Thanks for sharing! -Howard
thanks and your welcome.

Originally Posted by Chu's Mom
Congrats on the personal best. Sucks about the rules. I'm in the same boat but I rarely get to the track so the idea of getting all that equipment just sucks. At the power we're at I have to explain to everyone that just says "put a cage in it" that it goes way beyond just a cage.
it will be 8.5 legal after my wedding. then i can really get some seat time in.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hardwork and dedication paying off in a big way! I knew it was only a matter for time! Good stuff Dan
Old Sep 4, 2015, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AngryEvo8
Hardwork and dedication paying off in a big way! I knew it was only a matter for time! Good stuff Dan
Thanks a bunch.

I plan to head to a track this weekend. I got a map setup with NLTS. So I am going to give it a try. Most likely make a few 1/8th mile passes and get on the brakes type deal. Until I feel like I got a good pass in without missing a gear. I'm not sure what to expect as I never done this before so for starters I'd like to make a pass without missing a shift.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Grats on the car Dan, and props to all the wrench time you have put in.

Oh and Jeff Evans is the man for sure. Dude is beast
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cars looking good bud. How's the 1pc driveshaft working out, have someone interested in adding that to theirs over the winter. Any complaints besides the pains of installation?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

other then installation i have no issues or complaints about it. few thousand street miles, and some good track speeds. my 60 foots are not the best. but i am not worried. i know someone with it cutting 1.3X 60s.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoDan2004
other then installation i have no issues or complaints about it. few thousand street miles, and some good track speeds. my 60 foots are not the best. but i am not worried. i know someone with it cutting 1.3X 60s.
All that weight reduction has paid off for you, Dan. Good job!

What turbo are you using again? And are you planning to stick with it?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by way2qik
All that weight reduction has paid off for you, Dan. Good job!

What turbo are you using again? And are you planning to stick with it?
Thanks. I got more in the works. if I can't drive it. Make it lighter ha.

6870 using a T4 1.32 turbine. for now I plan to stick with it. I had a 6466 T4 1.15 and thought I made a mistake. However logs show only about a 400rpm loose in spool. On the street I don't really notice it. But the car is also a bit lighter. So I think this turbo combo is it for me.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 02:23 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks. I got more in the works. if I can't drive it. Make it lighter ha.

6870 using a T4 1.32 turbine. for now I plan to stick with it. I had a 6466 T4 1.15 and thought I made a mistake. However logs show only about a 400rpm loose in spool. On the street I don't really notice it. But the car is also a bit lighter. So I think this turbo combo is it for me.
How much boost to push your car to 160mph with that turbo? BTW, the thing with the 68 vs 64 is that you will be able to turn it up more if you want to. I would imagine that up to about 40lbs both turbos will make similar power, but once you start pushing above 44-45lbs the 68 will motor away from the 64mm. Is that your experience yet?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by way2qik
How much boost to push your car to 160mph with that turbo? BTW, the thing with the 68 vs 64 is that you will be able to turn it up more if you want to. I would imagine that up to about 40lbs both turbos will make similar power, but once you start pushing above 44-45lbs the 68 will motor away from the 64mm. Is that your experience yet?
The 6870 was tuned at 45psi and hit 160mph. I want to crank it up to 55psi but my tuner wants me to have 8 injectors. So I'm waiting on the manifold to be made. on a EBC controlled by the ecu we saw we can increase 2nd and 3rd gear boost up some as well. 4th was 45psi flat

The 6466 was tuned at 46psi and went a best of 151mph. Using a MBC. I can't really say at what psi did the 6870 make the same power as the 6466 because it was 2 different dynos. But 38psi on the 6870 matched the 6466 at 46psi.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

The 6870 was tuned at 45psi and hit 160mph. I want to crank it up to 55psi but my tuner wants me to have 8 injectors. So I'm waiting on the manifold to be made. on a EBC controlled by the ecu we saw we can increase 2nd and 3rd gear boost up some as well. 4th was 45psi flat

The 6466 was tuned at 46psi and went a best of 151mph. Using a MBC. I can't really say at what psi did the 6870 make the same power as the 6466 because it was 2 different dynos. But 38psi on the 6870 matched the 6466 at 46psi.
That's good info.

Quick Reply: EvoDan2004's 2015 Ohio shootout experience. and multiple reviews of some parts