Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Snow Tires for Drag Racing

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Snow Tires for Drag Racing

we have an evo 9 that is putting about 800whp. We don't have access to drag tires, so I was thinking of using 17" snow tires. Anyone has experience with those? how low can I put the tire pressure without risking to blow a tire at 150-160mph?

Thanks
Old May 19, 2017, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
There has got to be a way to acquire a set of drag tires. Shipping may be cost prohibitive but and then again an 800hp evo aint exactly a cheap endeavor either.

Although I don't have valuable feedback for you since Im not a drag racer but I will say a lot of snow tires in my experience have a soft sidewall which should be helpful for launching. However the compounds may get shredded given the temps as they might be really soft so I wouldnt expect great life out of them.

Also, make sure to note the speed rating as I know a lot of snow tires arent rated for much over 100mph. Hopefully someone else here will be able to chime in on tire pressures but i'd also be cautious of the feedback youre given as just because someone on here has done it and it didnt blow apart doesnt mean that your results will be the same. A blowout at 160mph isnt exactly something to take lightly.