Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

What gives? 45mph back half...

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2019, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
What gives? 45mph back half...

So frustrated with this car right now. Idk why my 1/8 mile time sucks so bad. Also don’t know why my car can’t do a 9.99. The mph says the car should be doing 9.70s. Okay, so my 60’ sucks. So if I do a 1.5 60’ which is pretty much max effort - then okay the car does 9.99 maybe. But it SHOULD be going way faster.

Tuner says 1/8th mile is all suspension / launch but I should be trapping well over 105mph in the 1/8th making 800whp. But I feel like he would know as he has a 9.1 evo 8 himself.

basic rundown of the car

built 2.0
stock ecu
40psi
hoosier qtp
stm d2 drag coilovers

this is is my 3rd outing with the car since having the built motor. Best time is a 10.1 @ 149. Tonight best time was 10.2 @ 150 and then had to call it a night because it started running dangerously lean at wot (think injector is clogged)

Old May 8, 2019, 08:07 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Wonder if a true drag tune would help. A tune where boost is lowered during launch but ramps up after the 60ft ?

What im saying is maybe youre getting too much wheel spin at launch?

I think English Racing has that type of launch program

Sweet pic BTW. Saved for the work SS
Old May 9, 2019, 03:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
If your were to cut a 1.5 from your 1.7x it would be more like a .4-.5 sec difference, every tenth in the 60’ is worth 2 tenths on the back half. Either way your car is fast and you will see a 9 sec pass with some tweaking ! Good luck!
Old May 9, 2019, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Your 9 second pass is a 60' away like posted above.

1. Do you have a video of that run? I'm going to take a gamble and say you're not revving it out high enough in 1st gear.

2. It's possible you're tripping the light before the car actually squats and launches (it will feel like a 1.4 but only show a 1.7 on the slip for example). Adjusting your clutch switch so the car is off the 2 step as soon as possible helps with this. Release the clutch as fast as you can.

3. Have you looked at the log to see how long you're out of boost between the 1-2 and 2-3 shift?

There's a lot you can do to improve.

Last edited by badev0; May 9, 2019 at 07:29 AM.
Old May 9, 2019, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the input guys. I really want to try the NLTS feature and see if I like it. I’m also still wondering why my 1/8 mph is so low. I should be trapping over 115 with my power level.

Here is a video though

Old May 9, 2019, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

You really need to get more aggressive with it on the short track. Just about everything I recommended will greatly help you. You are definitely short shifting that 1-2 and losing power between shifts. I never had NLTS enabled but I also never fulled lifted the pedal.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Install a shift light to make sure you shift at correct RPM. Enable NLTS, and make the car leave harder (get the clutch out quicker).

How much boost does your car make on the 2step?
Old May 9, 2019, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by badev0
You really need to get more aggressive with it on the short track. Just about everything I recommended will greatly help you. You are definitely short shifting that 1-2 and losing power between shifts. I never had NLTS enabled but I also never fulled lifted the pedal.
i swear the 1-2 shift is so notchy in this stock transmission. Someone recommended carbon synchros will help a lot as far as banging the gears? And I am terrible at flat foot shifting. And I want to practice but I also don’t want to tear my transmission out.

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Install a shift light to make sure you shift at correct RPM. Enable NLTS, and make the car leave harder (get the clutch out quicker).

How much boost does your car make on the 2step?
is the stock ecu NLTS feature pretty decent? And yeah i get onto myself every time about not getting off the clutch sooner. We currently have it building around 19psi at around 6500 launch rpm
Old May 9, 2019, 12:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmurray
i swear the 1-2 shift is so notchy in this stock transmission. Someone recommended carbon synchros will help a lot as far as banging the gears? And I am terrible at flat foot shifting. And I want to practice but I also don’t want to tear my transmission out.
Stock trans is not helping your cause trying to bang gears at 9k rpm.

is the stock ecu NLTS feature pretty decent? And yeah i get onto myself every time about not getting off the clutch sooner. We currently have it building around 19psi at around 6500 launch rpm
I think its very good. You just ride the clutch pedal because it runs off the top clutch switch, so if you depress the clutch a smidge when you're not intending to it kills the power.

Probably not enough boost or rpm. I think we're around 27-30/7000rpm in my clients car, and it's a 2.2L so we have more torque. Need to have that thing ready to jump out.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Everything he said above. I am curious how much boost is building on your 2-step also. I looked at the vid and when you mentioned notchy shifting it was noticable in your shifts. Need to be pushing out of the hole a bit harder. You have the power no doubt for the nines.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for all the input guys. Going to turn on my NLTS and try it out. So you guys think with faster shifting I’ll see my 1/8 mph go up a good bit? Because again, I should be trapping a lot higher than 105 in the 1/8

and as far as getting out of the hole quicker, that’s probably moreso me not letting out the clutch fast enough in an effort to prevent drivetrain damage. But it’s become a habit that I need to break.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

So you guys think with faster shifting I’ll see my 1/8 mph go up a good bit?
Faster shifting and revving out higher will increase your 1/8mph quite a bit.

Also, notice how much quicker my clutch is coming out vs yours. 6200RPM at 6psi on the 2step (1.57 60'). The car has seen 1.4's like this.

Last edited by badev0; May 10, 2019 at 12:11 PM.