Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Should a modded EVO beat a Cobra from a roll?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2004, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nad1370, wht mods does ure friend has on his evo? thanks
Old Apr 19, 2004, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

turbo back no cats 3'
ams mbc set at 21-22psi
ams fmic
rc 720cc injectors
super afc street tuned wide baned O2
open air intake
forge recirc ( blue spring )
HKS 272 cams
walbro 255 GS342

And I think he ran 100 octane on those runs
Old Apr 19, 2004, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

it's good to see a cobra owner who doesn't have his head up his ***.....i am not a big mustang fan, but the 03 cobras are beasts!!! respond very well to mods...a friend had one with just intake, headers, exhaust, and some suspension stuff that ran an 11.1 on street tires! i can cross off the turbo AWD sedan, and now a big-*** V8 is next on my list...
Old Apr 19, 2004, 10:44 PM

Yea... my head is definately not up my *** I am not really a fan of domestics, unless they are the more upscale ones (corvette,viper,cobras)... If it were a normal mustang, I think I would have passed. When I was car shopping, I had 2 criteria... It had to be able to fit people in the back, and it had to have forced induction... the former for practicality, and the latter for ease of modding! ohh and rwd or awd, NO fwd! So i was down to STI, EVO, or COBRA... I test drove them all, and in the end, even though I knew I would get ragged on by all my import buddies... I had to go for the S/Ced V8. The ease of modding and the power was all there... The sheer performance made me overlook the outdated interior, and the heavy *** body, and the ford nameplate.
On the contrary to what a lot of you guys think, the cobra handles VERY well on road courses. With a few suspension mods (subframe/coilovers up front), it is pretty damn awesome... The oversteer is crazy on the car, but it is very very predictable, and neutral... Maybe thats why the cobras have won so many road races... but its out there in the twisties, where you dont feel as "secure", and dont want to mess up powering out of a corner, when the mustangs lose to the awds and smaller nimbler handlers.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by evotomig

Agreed. I do repect the 03 Cobra,

However, the point of the discussion is: Can an EVO beat a Cobra, (SC) lets say.

The answer is YES.

Carphoto,

Some of us do have 360+ hp to the wheels
Yea I agree 100%. I beat cobras myself. I was simply stating what evos need to beat them consistantly. Since we have AWD drivetrain loss we do need a little bit more HP and many of us already have plenty of HP

I did the power to weight ratio calculation and you would need 360 to the flywheel to beat a cobra from a roll.

Last edited by CarPhoto.net; Apr 19, 2004 at 10:54 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 04:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by CarPhoto.net

Yea I agree 100%. I beat cobras myself. I was simply stating what evos need to beat them consistantly. Since we have AWD drivetrain loss we do need a little bit more HP and many of us already have plenty of HP

I did the power to weight ratio calculation and you would need 360 to the flywheel to beat a cobra from a roll.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 07:08 AM

Originally posted by CarPhoto.net

dont forget to explicitly state what type of cobra you are talking about, because I think you are referring to a 03/04 cobra, which in reality has 360+ whp (~410 crank).
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ts&pollid=1120

So you might need a tad more hp than 360 to the flywheel. Remember that the stock cobras run traps of 110+, so you had better do that too if you want to keep up in a roll, especially if you lose the advantage of the awd launch.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by simevo
It's not hard to beat a non supercharged SVT Cobra if you have mods on the Evo. I beat a modded 98 Cobra pretty easy from a rolling start from a stop light.
I don't think I have a chance from a rolling start against the new Cobra, they got POWER and extra 4 Cylinders.
True, it's more like this: they got 4 extra cylinders and a supercharger.

I raced an 03/04 modded cobra this weekend. Well, you guys already know the outcome. I lost... But not by much. He got me by a car length when we hit 4th gear. That's not bad for slightly modded evo. I didnt even laugh, but so did he. We both took it easy until 2nd. I know a friend on this forum beated a modded 03 cobra that can hang with a 650whp supra. And this is no bs, there is a bunch of supras owner and evo owners that witness the race. maybe if he saw this post, he'll reply. I love that spool up sound of the SC, really nice... First time I ever raced an SC cobra. Nice...
Old Apr 20, 2004, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by masterevo

True, it's more like this: they got 4 extra cylinders and a supercharger.

I raced an 03/04 modded cobra this weekend. Well, you guys already know the outcome. I lost... But not by much. He got me by a car length when we hit 4th gear. That's not bad for slightly modded evo. I didnt even laugh, but so did he. We both took it easy until 2nd. I know a friend on this forum beated a modded 03 cobra that can hang with a 650whp supra. And this is no bs, there is a bunch of supras owner and evo owners that witness the race. maybe if he saw this post, he'll reply. I love that spool up sound of the SC, really nice... First time I ever raced an SC cobra. Nice...
Hey, if you use that logic then... Hey, you have AWD, and you have a lighter car. Imagine if the cobra had awd, weighed 3200 lbs... how devastating would that be? Run what you brung!

Good death? And yes... no one ever said the cobras were bulletproof... they can be killed... and im sure more than a handful of EVOs have had snake soup for dinner.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

I had a 2003 Sonic Blue Cobra. I had a 3" Dynomax catback, Magnaflow X-pipe with cats, Conical Air filter, and Amazon Racing diablo chip. My car ran a best of 12.25 @ 117 mph. This time was faster than most others with upgraded pulleys (higher boost). This was on the stock tires and 93 octane gas. Stock boost and pulley. That was it nothing else. With those mods, the car should have dynoed in the 430's whp.

My Evo with Helix downpipe, UR test pipe, B&B catback, HKS filter, Dynoflash, HKS AFR, Profec B Spec 2, 264 cams and upgraded clutch ran a 12.24 @ 118.4 mph. That was on race gas. I dont know how much HP the evo is making. I still was running the stock intercooler and stock injectors.

I would think that my Evo would give my old Cobra a run for the money In 4th gear it appears from the time slips that my Evo was faster from the 1/8 mile to 1/4 mile traps. That means that in 4th from a roll, the Evo should have pulley slightly. That is just amazing to me. I never thought the Evo could have as much pull as my modified cobra. The cobra was a kick *** car. I don't care for many domestic cars, but that one was done right. BTW, I tore up a 405 hp Z06 at the track with the Cobra. That was funny to see that guys face. He got the jump off the line, but I reeled him in and beat him by 2 cars thru the traps.

Brian
Old Apr 20, 2004, 08:44 AM

Wow... that sounds like a fast evo! Now what would it run with lower boost on street trim?

What happened to the cobra anyway? Again, nice runs
Old Apr 20, 2004, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ilumo

Hey, if you use that logic then... Hey, you have AWD, and you have a lighter car. Imagine if the cobra had awd, weighed 3200 lbs... how devastating would that be? Run what you brung!

Good death? And yes... no one ever said the cobras were bulletproof... they can be killed... and im sure more than a handful of EVOs have had snake soup for dinner.
There is no such thing as a "good death" bro. I hate to lose, but I'm not bitter about it either. Yes, the EVO have the weight/power ratio advantage and the AWD. But the AWD can only be used very limitedly if you want to keep your drivetran in one piece for a while. You can't just dump the clutch like any rwd cars, the evo takes great skill to deploy its awd power. On the same night, my friend's evo with cams embarrassed a modded Mach 1 with slicks. When I raced this evo, it feels like I raced that modded cobra. Same thing, by 4th gear, I'm history.

By the way, that same night, there were several cobras and z28/ss cruising with a bunch of EVOs (EVO speed club members) and alone side was a bunch of hondas.(hahahahh ) It's quite amusing to see domestics with imports. I didnt get a chance to run any of the cobras or the ss, but they didnt really impress me all that much. Now on the other hand, when we went cruising with the supras guys, I was totally impressed. Those supras are truelly beast on the street. So beautiful; yet so powerful.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ilumo
Wow... that sounds like a fast evo! Now what would it run with lower boost on street trim?

What happened to the cobra anyway? Again, nice runs
Thanks.

I only ran about 21 psi on the top end, that is all the turbo would hold. The big thing with race gas is being able to lean the mixture out and still hold decent timing. I would spike to 23 or 24 psi for an instant and then would come right back down to 21. I wouldn't be able to run 21 psi and running that lean without the ECU pulling timing. I run about 5% leaned out on the street and 19% at the track when running race gas.

That run in the Evo was traction limited, believe it or not. I only got a 1.86 60' time. It would have been an 11.9x if I could have gotten a good 60'. I also had to slow shift 2nd and 4th due to shifting issues. I believe it will run 12.2x's on 93 octane with 19 or 20 psi if I can get a good 60' time. I have gotten 1.68 60' times, but haven't put together the right run yet.

I sold the Cobra about a year ago to a guy here in Mebane, NC. It was a good looking car. I got a good price out of it and got to keep it for 7 months. I decided I didn't need two high HP RWD cars. I already had a high HP Supra. I decided to sell it, I got a nice little 4 door family sedan now (aka EVO 8). Can get groceries, haul 5 people and still not get embarrassed at the local dragstrip. Can't beat that. If I get embarassed in it, I just drive home and get the Supra. If I get embarassed in the Supra, then I just go home and stay there.

Brian
Old Apr 20, 2004, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

I am a little late to the party.... I have both an Evo (13.4 stock) and a 2003 Cobra (hi flow cats, cat back and K&N airfilter and it had a chip but no longer)....... I ran 12.4@116mph on stock crap tires.... I know have drag radials but not a chip.....

but... the question was "FROM A ROLL"...... I have not lost to anything other than a lighter mustang gt that was supercharged and putting out 420 rear wheel hp.... from 40mph he would catch me right at 110mph when I would switch to 4th gear...... but his car was 300lbs lighter with the same hp....(i probably have more torque though).

I would think that if an evo runs in the 11's they could keep up with my cobra from a roll.....anything else shouldn't....

Last edited by Scot; Apr 20, 2004 at 11:53 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Scot: What is your MPH at the 1/8 mile mark? What is it at the 1/4 mile mark? My Evo goes from 88 to 89 mph in the 1/8 and runs 118.7 at the end of the 1/4. I switch from 3rd to 4th right before the 1/8 mile. I am picking up ~30 mph from the 1/8 mile to 1/4 mile traps. This is basically 4th gear all the way. I wonder how your compares.

Brian

Quick Reply: Should a modded EVO beat a Cobra from a roll?