EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Drag Racing (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/drag-racing-16/)
-   -   Should a modded EVO beat a Cobra from a roll? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/drag-racing/76488-should-modded-evo-beat-cobra-roll.html)

CleveBrownsFan Apr 17, 2004 11:02 PM

Should a modded EVO beat a Cobra from a roll?

He posted on Evolutionfourms.com but I cant link it because you have to register...so I'll quote him...

He said...

OK...I have a Dynoflashed EVO with some goodies....produced about 300whp on a Dynapak Dyno.
I raced a Mustang Cobra from a second gear roll tonight....Not sure of the year of if he had any mods and don't think it was supercharged cuz I didnt hear it whine...

From a second gear roll, I pulled a half a car on him then fin 3rd he was almost a car length in front of me

I really thought I would blow him away!!! oh well, better luck next time I guess

Does this sound right?

bpclements Apr 17, 2004 11:23 PM

I know a stock 03 supercharged Cobra will put down 330ish on a dyno-pack dyno with 91 octane. He might have had some mods on their too. If he did those things can be super fast with just the basic bolt-ons, i.e. pulley, exhaust, intake. You gotta remember too that V8's produce a very flat torque curve and alot lot of it. Good run though. From a stop I think you can beat him, but on a roll he's definitely got an advantage over your setup right now.

ilumo Apr 17, 2004 11:28 PM

Hey man... are you the blue evo that was on the Tappan zee bridge? If that was you, I was the cobra you raced. let me know.

ilumo Apr 17, 2004 11:33 PM

Actually... the stock Cobras will put down around 350 WHP, and with intake + catback, 400 whp. the 03/04 cobras are VERY easy to mod, and can get 500 whp very easily.

If that was you, then you probably pulled at first BECAUSE you were in second. I was in third gear at approximatly 3800 rpm at 60 mph. I should have went to second gear... That would have put me in a better powerband. When you shifted, I was just at 6000 rpm and was pulling good. But there was traffic ahead so I never got a chance to shift to 4th. I was stock except for an Intake.

CleveBrownsFan Apr 17, 2004 11:36 PM

Originally posted by ilumo
Hey man... are you the blue evo that was on the Tappan zee bridge? If that was you, I was the cobra you raced. let me know.

No it wasnt me but I do have a Blue EVO :) The race ws against a Black Mustang Cobra....Not sure what year though. I know the newer ones are Supercharged and have 390HP...but I dont think it ws a new one

CleveBrownsFan Apr 17, 2004 11:38 PM

Even with 300whp the EVO should not beat a Cobra from a roll? even if it waf like the 320hp models?

Then again, with not knowing the mods it might of had...or at least HOPE it had :)

trance Apr 17, 2004 11:43 PM

i think it all depends on how fast you are going in second gear

ilumo Apr 17, 2004 11:46 PM

ahhhh... if it was anything besides the 03 cobra, you should have beat it. A stock cobra anyway.... it's pretty hard to mod those N/A cobras. Stock they have like 280 whp, and even with intake exhaust mods, its only 310-320 or so. So with 300 hp, you should whoop him from a stop, and be pretty even in a roll. 1.6 60 ft times rule!

btw, did it look like this?
http://www.2pugs.com/Cobra/SIG.JPG

thats an 03

CleveBrownsFan Apr 17, 2004 11:52 PM

Yea it did look like that...as far as I could tell...it was dark out. I do remember the COBRA lettering and the spoiler looking like that...

Funny though...2 Blue EVOs and 2 Black Cobras racing the same night in different states....I am in PA by the way

bpclements Apr 18, 2004 12:01 AM

Yeah those Cobra's are nice. I wouldn't underestimate them. That's why I'm going with a turbo kit in the future. But none the less, the Cobra might pull harder on a straight, but on a nice track the Evo would come out ahead with it's better grip around the turns. They are both fun cars. It just depends on what you like to do I guess.

ilumo Apr 18, 2004 12:01 AM

actually, I have a blue cobra, but it looks exactly like that, but just blue ;) same exhaust. yea, I was looking to see who I raced... wish we would have had more room to open it up. That turbo spooled up pretty quick for him. I just saw a monster sized gauge in front of the streering wheel, and a big exhaust. I dont know what mods he might have had.

bpclements Apr 18, 2004 12:15 AM

You gotta admit though that they are nice little 4 cylinders and get pretty decent gas mileage, :D . I average 20 in the city and 27 on the highway.
What's the gas mileage like on the Cobra's?

ilumo Apr 18, 2004 12:21 AM

:crap: jeez... dont ask... ;) I guess normally, if i were driving mildly, I would get 16/23, but lately, since I just got the exhaust installed... {devil} 5/15?? haha

but yea, the EVOs are nice cars... I looked into getting one before the Cobra. Gotta love those Eclipse engines... :p

bpclements Apr 18, 2004 12:23 AM

Well 16/23 ain't to bad. That's what I would get in my 2000 V6 S10, LOL on a good tank, LOL.

MrBonus Apr 18, 2004 08:01 AM

My '01 Cobra ran 13.59@104.5 bone stock. A 300 WHP Evo should eat it alive.

If it were an '03, the Evo wouldn't stand a chance.