Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

who ran against a viper in fontana

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2004, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was told it was an older viper...not the new ones but...5hp and like 30lbs of torque difference will get it to 11's? high 11's right?...thats comparing a 96 to current model
Old Aug 16, 2004, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

The Viper I raced was an rt-10 2002. 450 hp 490 tq I believe. Hey I will I race a new Viper and give it a good run 1/2 way down the track and maybe beat it if the guy can't put the power to the ground early enough. Hp and tq wise the Evo appears to be a severe underdog when it comes to straight line racing but at the 1320 Awd/gearing can be a great equalizer. Dam if I raced him in the 1/2 mile I would be toast. Vipers are fast and it is just fun to compete with some of them. Also that is why I think kill stories are a joke. Because on the streets most of these owners of high hp/tq cars have no idea how to drive their cars to their potential. So more often then not you beat the driver not the vehicle.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Well a 96 model has 450hp and 490 lb/ft of torque i believe. They run low 12's. The current ones have 500/500 and run 11.9's. The original Viper had only 400 hp.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 11:59 PM
Evolving Member

Over all I think its kinda funny, but the guys in Vipers and Z06's that laugh at the Evo now have to respect the potential of the Evo at half the price.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

weird though that v8 guys can give repsect to a well rounded car like the evo and srt4 owners cant even accpet the thought of an evo being a better car
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

At Fontana Speedway I am quicker than some Cobras,Z06s and Vipers at the 1320 but some of the faster ones will hand me my a$$. Usually don't get to line up against any of them but it has happened on occasion and I have not lost yet. The mid 12+ sec ones stay away as they do not want to get beat by Slorice.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

lol....are you there every friday night?
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

Lookslikeanevo but slow like a Geo Metro, Is that sarcasm in your remark.LOL Like I am BSing about beating mid 12 sec cars. And if you and your boy Boni would get out and stop bench racing on the net you would know that Fontana runs on Saturdays about once a month. If you or Boni want to run me on the streets no thanx as I am a responsible adult and you can go kill innocent people( Honda Rice style) by yourself. Does Boni still want to pick on me with his stage 1 million Lancer. LOL! You clowns will never catch up!
Old Aug 25, 2004, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

srt4 owners cant even accpet the thought of an evo being a better car

Yea! I've seen that here too. The SRT4 owners think that car is all that, I'll give that car for the best bang for the buck at 20K, but the character of the Evo it will never be. The last Yellow SRT4 I saw running at the local track couldn't break 14.1 in the 1/4 mile. They had a Suzuki swift running with him , LOL.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

SRT-4s are actually doing some damage out here in So Cal. IMO Great bang for the buck for 1/4 mile fun. Great from a roll on the freeway. Can hang with alot of cars out there and overall I have seen more fast SRT-4s at the strip than STIs.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IE Evo
Lookslikeanevo but slow like a Geo Metro, Is that sarcasm in your remark.LOL Like I am BSing about beating mid 12 sec cars. And if you and your boy Boni would get out and stop bench racing on the net you would know that Fontana runs on Saturdays about once a month. If you or Boni want to run me on the streets no thanx as I am a responsible adult and you can go kill innocent people( Honda Rice style) by yourself. Does Boni still want to pick on me with his stage 1 million Lancer. LOL! You clowns will never catch up!
lol...waslaughing cus at that time i was on the srt4 forums...they know they cant keep up with a viper...yet they try to say that their car is still better than the evo...i believe you all the way about being a 12 sec car...oh and about street racing... i dont im just as resposible as you when it comes to my car...sure i push it once in awhile...im sure you do to...and i am will always be faster than a metro......i think?

Last edited by lookslikeanevo; Aug 26, 2004 at 10:31 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 01:03 AM
Evolved Member

My Bad Evolooker. I apologized on a pm and I will apologize publicly for my misinterpretation. BTW They are just trying to justify their purchase that is normal behavior. But also over there Phoenix is Pro Evo and is a lil full of himself. I wish I could remember my password over there. I have tried to get back in but the link they give me does not work. I actually like the Srt-4 and i think it is putting the smack down at the 1/4 mile strips and especially racing from a medium speed roll on the streets. I go off of what i see at the track and I have seen more fast srt-4s than Stis. Fwiw One Sti in the 12s at Fontana and Carlsbad combined and it had a turbo upgrade.seen Several Srts in the low 13s and some low 12s and one in the 11s. They are representing but most objective owners respect the Evo and wish they had the cheese to purchase one.