Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

My evo loves to slide

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2006, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsmfan95
Counter steer slightly and give it gas. The front wheels will pull it straight.
+1

if you hit the brakes you might need a new car, yours might be totaled.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 02:02 PM

i had this happen to me twice, once on the highway and on some back roads. scary at first but easy to gain control
Old May 18, 2006, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This happened to me. Its almost an immediate reaction to step on the brakes when you are starting to spin.
Old May 23, 2006, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

I just got done with 160 minutes of track time on the new Miller Motorsports Park track and I only experienced honest-to-God oversteer once. Exiting turn #2 at about 5000rpm in 3rd gear.

Every other corner I braked with the car straight and accelerated with no tire slippage. I'm on 245/45/17 Hankook RS2s and COBB front track pads. Chassis is amazing.

-Jon
Old Jun 11, 2006, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

+1 Could not agree more...

I've got a 24mm rear Hotchkiss Swaybar and stiffer/lower springs. Helps at with car turn-in. With the stock suspension, you can induce oversteer, but control it with your right foot... when it starts to come around, give it gas and steer towards the spin slightly. It's fun!

After my swaybar was installed, with bald rear tires, I could drifted the EVO at about 80 mph around a full sweeper exit (speed limit is 35 mph on the exit). You can practically hang the rear out with speed and gas / lift / gas / lift to keep it sliding FUN, FUN.

At the track, I don't try such funny tricks.. try to keep it smooth and neutral. The strut bar, along with the sway bar is supposed to HELP introduce more OVERSTEER (tightening up the rear of the car is help it turn, and not push forward = UNDERSTEER)... some posts ago, some guy got the two mixed up.

Old Jun 11, 2006, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by raf_EVO
+1 Could not agree more...

I've got a 24mm rear Hotchkiss Swaybar and stiffer/lower springs. Helps at with car turn-in. With the stock suspension, you can induce oversteer, but control it with your right foot... when it starts to come around, give it gas and steer towards the spin slightly. It's fun!

After my swaybar was installed, with bald rear tires, I could drifted the EVO at about 80 mph around a full sweeper exit (speed limit is 35 mph on the exit). You can practically hang the rear out with speed and gas / lift / gas / lift to keep it sliding FUN, FUN.

At the track, I don't try such funny tricks.. try to keep it smooth and neutral. The strut bar, along with the sway bar is supposed to HELP introduce more OVERSTEER (tightening up the rear of the car is help it turn, and not push forward = UNDERSTEER)... some posts ago, some guy got the two mixed up.

Man i did the same thing twice at around 80 something mph on my stock suspension Evo IX it is scary!!!!!!!!! and at the same time fun for me at least, i think my friend in the passenger seat crapped his pants!!!!. It was funnier the second time because right before it happened i yelled out quote "Now this is the power of AWD on a Evo baby!!!!!!"
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

yea when youre about to lose it.. gas finds traction in AWD
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoRecordSetter
+1

if you hit the brakes you might need a new car, yours might be totaled.
+1. don't EVER press your brakes in a turn. Yourt wheels just lock up and all you do is go straight into the wall.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

I learned that back when I had an Audi and made it Bite the wall.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by PKEVO8
+1. don't EVER press your brakes in a turn. Yourt wheels just lock up and all you do is go straight into the wall.
unless you're trail-braking going into the turn, left foot braking to settle the front of the car, or need to rotate the car to get it to turn, just be ready to give it gas
Old Jun 26, 2006, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by fusionchicken
i dont think i'll have any problems with this since i'm coming from an mkII mr2
Agree +1
Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by PKEVO8
I have logged quite a few miles with my 05 MR and I'll strongly disagree with that statement as stated.

Dealing with real track situations in a pack calls for subtle inputs from both pedals along with knowing the line and limits of your vehicle.

I would not stand on the brakes in a turn, but you must be ready to modulate velocity under a myriad of challenges. The most important aspect of course is exit speed, so at the apex and beyond (assuming that you have not apexed too early) you sure don't wish to use brakes because you'll lose time.

However, to state issues as absolutely as you have here, during a race on a crowded track is its own invitation to disaster. Generally it is better to drive off the track than to spin on the track, but a good driver has encountered both circumstances and seeks to avoid both.

Otherwise you will crash and endanger yourself and others.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

yeah i had to learn about this on stock advans.... thankfully i learned going slow... cold advans on a tar surface is death waiting to happen..... this time of year its not an issue but i bought my car back in december of 2003...
Old Jul 12, 2006, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by daisaw1219
This happened to me. Its almost an immediate reaction to step on the brakes when you are starting to spin.
This is why understeer is dialed into most cars. If you understeer, it's fine to let off the gas. If you oversteer, you are spinning if you let off the gas. Since your first instinct is to let off the gas when traction is lost, you need to reprogram yourself (in a safe place) to stay on the throttle instead of lifting. It goes counter to every gut instinct you have so you need to practice it a lot.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 04:05 AM

I oversteered one time and was about to spin when I just started to drive a stick. I counter steer and pump gas out of instinct and it saved my car
and my life

Quick Reply: My evo loves to slide