Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

how do you drive an automatic evo?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2007, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do you drive an automatic evo?

i know this sounds strange, but all of my sports cars have been manual. when i trade my evo ix mr in next year on an evo x mr, i'm afraid i won't know how to drive it the same way. for instance, when i want to launch from a light, i slip the clutch and give it gas. on a evo x with a dual clutch transmission, i really am not sure what to do. do you hold the brake while building revs and then release? also, another example: when in second gear coming up to a turn at about 2500 rpm, i may slip the clutch and give it gas while approaching the turn and then drop the clutch while increasing throttle imput in order to break loose into a powerslide. what would you do in the automatic evo? i know there is probably a simple answer to this, but again i have no experience with automatic sports cars. any ideas would be appreciated. thanks..
Old Dec 11, 2007, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

mash gas pedal and go.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Don't buy the MR? Otherwise yeah, there's no real "launching" it, just mashing the gas like normal autos...
Old Dec 14, 2007, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure on the Evo's system, but the VW version of the transmission has what they refer to as 'launch control'. You hold it at 3k rpm with your foot on the brake and the computer does the rest.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

yeah i heard there would be some way to launch it. like turn off the traction control, flick the padel to N (somehow) and then rev it and i think flick to first and boom. sorta like a lambo i think, if you know what i mean. But i really am not sure about this
Old Dec 16, 2007, 06:52 PM

thanks for replies. i think i'll go with a gsr though. i'll just have to do without the bilsteins
Old Dec 27, 2007, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Oki Panoki
yeah i heard there would be some way to launch it. like turn off the traction control, flick the padel to N (somehow) and then rev it and i think flick to first and boom. sorta like a lambo i think, if you know what i mean. But i really am not sure about this
nuetral droping is a big no no is automatics
Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by detroitmuscle
nuetral droping is a big no no is automatics
+1 you probably shouldnt drive an evo if you think thats how auto launches are done....jk but seriously never do that to an auto or its gonna puke.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

idk, good luck with your automatic evo.

no comments in this one.......
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

My other car is an auto wrx. You launch by brake torquing.

First you vacuum lock the brakes in N. Then, with your left foot on the brake, you shift to D and step on the accelerator pedal. The rpms will start climbing and you start building boost (my wrx will reach full boost). The car wants to go, but the (vacuum locked) brakes are holding it back. You launch by releasing your left foot.

It's a lot easier to launch this way, compared to a manual. And launching off full boost in an Evo ought to be a blast. Launching this way is also less stressful on the transmission (compared to a manual) because your preloading it, rather that shocking it by dumping the clutch.

The only caveat here is that you can't brake torque too long -only 3-4 seconds. Otherwise your tranny will burn up. Aftermarket tranny coolers and torque converters will probably be a big thing with the X's
Old Mar 26, 2008, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the MR has launch control from what i understand, but it's supposedly less aggressive than dropping the clutch on the manual version. as for mid-corner clutch-slip induced powersliding, that's what the s-ayc and s-awc is for. basically, you just point and shoot, and let the computers sort out the rest...