Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.

Faster around turn - drift or normal? Caould you use it for autocross?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Gotta get to 15 somehow (in order to sell some crap).
Old Apr 2, 2014, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iowa999
Gotta get to 15 somehow (in order to sell some crap).
Aaaaand he made it.

Well, I can add to the topic of discussion that I have not been able to make the evo drift during an autocross if I wanted to. Either too much grip or it just goes straight to understeer.

So after several years of autocrossing in the evo -- here is what I've learned.....

I have observed is that drivers with RWD cars generally do better on tight courses than the Evos. This is especially true when the RWD car driver can use throttle input to power it around the turn while the Evos are struggling to stay tight.

So while it's not a drift, it's a nice use of oversteer to power around the turns which really seems to help.

So get me in my evo on a tight course and it's going to suck for me. I'll get beat by miatas. But get me on an open course with long straights and big sweeper turns and watch out buddy!
Old May 27, 2014, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread makes my ***** soft. WAY too much misinformation. You'll notice that, unless on a corner where ANY car would understeer, WRC drivers don't slide. Extremely tight hairpins, sure, but only because they can't get the car rotated. Watch this, check out which tires are sliding more...

...Looks just like the fast way at the race track. Ideally, you'd want to just "slide" the car enough to get rotated, and then go to power. An "opening of the hands" at best. Check out THIS video...

EDIT:
Here, this is my video. All the sliding is, essentially, a mistake. There. I said it. It's fun, but not fast. It's some footage from COTA testing on old tires. Notice the last couple laps I figure out where the tires have grip and where they don't and calm everything down. This would have been way faster had I not run out of gas. Enjoy.

Last edited by MBellRacing; May 27, 2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old May 5, 2020, 12:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Really good examples. Sliding is not the fastest way, its used to help rotate.