Notices
Driving Techniques Discuss things like how to launch your car, or turn in points, correct steering position, etc.
View Poll Results: Can you do that heel and toe thing?
Yes
67.09%
No
25.95%
Hee to... What?!?!
6.96%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

How to be a Psiho Driver!!! ++Tutorial++

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2004, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of professional drivers only single clutch, like your cousin said, but some of them do still double clutch, mostly the older ones. Also a lot of professional drivers have a dogbox that is much stronger than a normal gearbox, and they often are rebuilt after every race, so double clutching is even less necessary.

Double clutching is slower and not really necessary anymore with synchros, but they can wear out too so double clutching when you can will help the synchros last longer, and if you do have to drive a car with worn out synchros then you won't have a problem.

I also asked a performance driver trainer about this and he told me double ctlutching is unnessecary, but rev matching (with single clutch and heel & toe technique) is important.

Aston
Old Jun 26, 2004, 08:09 PM
ckl

Originally Posted by astondg
A lot of professional drivers only single clutch, like your cousin said, but some of them do still double clutch, mostly the older ones. Also a lot of professional drivers have a dogbox that is much stronger than a normal gearbox, and they often are rebuilt after every race, so double clutching is even less necessary.

Double clutching is slower and not really necessary anymore with synchros, but they can wear out too so double clutching when you can will help the synchros last longer, and if you do have to drive a car with worn out synchros then you won't have a problem.

I also asked a performance driver trainer about this and he told me double ctlutching is unnessecary, but rev matching (with single clutch and heel & toe technique) is important.

Aston
thank you

So I guess double clutch h/t is more suitable for daily driving and single clutch h/t is better for track racing, I will tell my cousin that
Old Jun 26, 2004, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

When you put it like that it sounds a bit strange, but with todays cars, and to get maximum performance, it seems that way.

Aston
Old Jun 28, 2004, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tanner_Hall
the whole double-clutching thing is soooo tired. modern synchos make it a waste of time. let it go people.

I completely agree. As long as you give the drivtrain and synchros a short pause while moving the gear selector lever from one into the next, the synchros aren't going to wear out any extra as oppose to double clutching. if your that **** about keeping wear to a minimum then condsider that with double clutching you may just wear out your clutch and other lucth related compnents like the pump that supplys the fluid to engage and disengage the clutch plates (no to mention the springs in the clutch itself)
Old Jun 28, 2004, 03:55 PM
ckl

I found it easier to push it in gear when I double clutch to down shift 2 gears (eg. 5 -> 3).

While I have to use alot of force to push it in gear when single clutch down shift. I always scare that I am breaking something when I have to forcefully push it into gear. Am I correct?
Old Jun 28, 2004, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

synchro gear wear isnt the only issue... synchro kicking in is like braking abruptly causing your car to loose its balance, that is not a good thing on the track.. any pro driver will tell you gas or brake smoothly and squeezing the pedals not pounding it..... it is to maintain a good weight balance on track... real world example is shifting down without rev matching in a turn can imbalance your car, and bring you into an oversteer spin out...
Old Jun 28, 2004, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

I keep preaching double clutching, but in practise I only do it to get 1st gear. The synchros make double clutching obselete in other gears.

Nonetheless, double clutching is still an important technique to understand and master, even if you feel like you'll never use it. Sometimes it's hard to get 2nd and 1st, and if you misshift in those gear you're likely to do a lot of damage, as well as lose a lot of time.

I hear ya. I feel like old hats pushing some obselete technique, but I feel it's like knowing CPR. You hope that you'll never have to use it, but you learn it anyway.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

whats a Psiho driver anyways?
Old Jun 30, 2004, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

the whole double-clutching thing is soooo tired. modern synchos make it a waste of time. let it go people.
When you're racing, and you lose a synchro, you can either keep going by double clutching, or pull into the pits and call it quits. Your choice.

It becomes dangerous when you rely too much on technology, especially when you don't understand the limitations of the technology.

Or you could be racing, and your clutch cable breaks. Then you have to shift clutchless, which is a good way to destroy your gearbox if you don't revmatch just right.

But we don't have to worry about that. We have technology, and as we know, technology never lets us down!
Old Jun 30, 2004, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm with Alex, what the hell is a Psiho driver? I've been around racing all my life and I have never heard that term before.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
I'm with Alex, what the hell is a Psiho driver? I've been around racing all my life and I have never heard that term before.

haha i was just playing around. i think he probably meant "psycho driver" but mis-typed it.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 05:25 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Double clutching saves syncros and saves on wear. I think this was pointed out before, but it give you maximum control at turn and it saves time on throttle response.

I ALWAYS double clutch. Double clutching is faster way to break easier without straining your tranny as well.

If you don't double clutch, I'd like you to try to stop going down the hill to shift from 4th to 2nd without double clutching.

I don't brake when I go down the hill, until I'm at 2nd gear from double clutching. Saves on brakes and I stop better.

I turn faster on double clutching too.

But it's your car, do what you will.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

Rev matching (but without the double clutch) keeps the car just as stable under braking and down changing. It is also possible to change gears faster with just a rev match then it is to do a double clutch.

I don't usually skip gears, meaning instead of 4th to 2nd I go 4th to 3rd to 2nd, but I have changed 4th to 2nd before, while going downhill and while racing, and the car was perfectly stable with just the rev match.

Aston
Old Jul 6, 2004, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by astondg
Rev matching (but without the double clutch) keeps the car just as stable under braking and down changing. It is also possible to change gears faster with just a rev match then it is to do a double clutch.

Aston
if you have to let go of the brakes to rev match then brake again... your car is NOT stable as your weight is transfering from rear to front(brake) to rear then to front again in one turn? not a good thing... now if you decide to brake early so you can rev match afterwards you are breaking WAY too early

only effective way to do it without heelNtoe is if you perfect the left feet braking which i hate myself but some pros do it.....
Old Jul 6, 2004, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

I think you are getting confused between heel and toe and double clutching. Heel and toe is what you do to allow you to match the revs while braking and down changing. Double clutching is one way of rev matching, it can also be done with a single clutch. Also Heel and toe can be used with either double clutching or a single clutch rev match or it can not be used at all as you are saying.

I said that the car is perfectly stable with rev matching and I assumed that would include heel and toe if you are braking. I was saying that double clutching is not important to keep the car stable and that the same effect can be achieved with rev matching whithout the double clutch. I assumed that heel and toe would be used or not used in both circumstances, as long as it was the same for both.

Aston

Last edited by astondg; Jul 6, 2004 at 09:39 PM.

Quick Reply: How to be a Psiho Driver!!! ++Tutorial++