Notices
DynoFlash [Visit Site]

Suggestions for tuning appointments - read before you come for your tuning day!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2006, 09:36 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for tuning appointments - read before you come for your tuning day!!!!!!

I will be adding to this over the next few days - it will be a long thread to give people some good ideas about what steps they can take to get the most out of a tuning appointment

I want you to be happy and have a enjoyable experience. I also want you to get a very good and safe tune, this is why i work very hard. With some help we can achive a better result, some suggestions:

#1 - Don't bring your pals, crew, boyz or other tuners with you.

You would be suprized how many people like to bring a few guys along with them for the tuning appointments. Some guys bring down aspiring tuners to debate me on how to do my job. I am not there to answer questions of on lookers and engage in small talk - I am there to tune cars. I am there 100% to do the BEST job I possibly can on the car I am tuning at the moment. I dont like making mistakes so i try and not let myself be dsitracted. I don't let ANYONE but the car owner in the car with me when I am driving, so PLEASE don't take anyone along with you when you come to the tunning appointment. They may be standing in a parking lot for up to 3 - 4 hours. This way I can lend my 100% full and undivided attention to you and your car. If you want the best job possible - DO NOT - try and make it a social occassion and entertain your pals - come BY yourself and ready to observe and learn something informative about tuning and getting your car to run great.

#2 - Contact me BEFORE your tune to review your mod list and goals. PM or email is the best way - this way we are both on the same page and IF I have any suggestions about parts you have time to add them as you select.

#3 - Make sure your car is working properly - tuning is about adjusting the a/f, boost, ignition timing and other parameters to fine tune and optimize the car - IT IS NOT ABOUT FIXING BROKEN CARS.

Here is a list of some things you must check out BEFORE your tune if you want to have a great result

- Boost leaks - (all cars should be pressure tested before a tune for boost leaks )

- Compression test - a car with a low cyl wont run well - easy to test

- Spark plugs - are they fresh ? I suggest BR7ES for street cars gapped to 25 - 26

- Boost - is the MBC or EBC working properly and does the car hold steady boost ?

- Wastegate actuator - the actuator must be properly installed and adjusted - when we are tuning the car is too hot to work with it - adjustment is the key

- Exhuast leaks - they throw off 02 sesnor readings - fix them

- Oil change, tire pressure, tread on tires ?

- MAGNA CORE SPARK PLUG WIRES SUCk - dont use them - put your stock ones back on

- Lug nuts tight ? (yes I drove one with a wheel falling off) tight suspension ?

- GAS USED - dont get cosco or other cheap low dollar discount fuel to save a few cents. try and select a major national brand and get your fuel from a large station that has a high volume so the tanks may be cleaner. Try to sue the same fuel on your tune as you use every day.

- Clean out loose junk and garbage from interrior - its not safe to tune cars with things flying around - make it easy on myself and you and relocate all loose items to your trunk before the tune

- Clutch - if the clutch is currently slipping - I can not tune it

- Misfire - if the car has an ignition problem such as bad spark plug wire or coil and is breaking up it cant be tuned. I some cases misfires are tuning related and i can fix those but bad ignitions can not be fixed with tuning.

- Alcohol kit - make sure its working and spraying on boost - bring a full tank

Wiring—The engine harness should have NO exposed wires. Also, DO NOT twist and tape wires together. Take the time to solder them! (this includes so called "vampire clips")
Codes—Do not come for an appointment if you a check engine light on.
Battery/Alternator—Make sure they are strong and not failing.
Make sure you have secured your pipes so that they do not blow off at a tuning appointment. If the pipes aren’t blowing off on some of the 600+whp cars that I’m tuning then they shouldn’t on the 250-300whp cars either.
Make sure all of the bolts are tightened, in particular, the exhaust manifold bolts. This is considered an exhaust leak and you will lose power as a result.
Make sure the o2 sensor hole is big enough to fit the common wideband sensors.
Make sure the blow off valve is tight. Do you want it to sound “cool” or work properly?
Be sure to use the proper oil feed and return lines and that they are installed properly.
Turbo shaft play. Don’t expect that you can come to an appointment and make 500hp with a turbo that is shot. Get it rebuilt or buy a new one!

- This should be obvious - dont have any loose nuts or bolts rattling around in your down pipe - if you drop any in there when working on the 02 housing make sure you remove them or they may damage your cat

- Dont T off your fuel pressure regulator line for a boost gauge as if the lines pop off your car will run lean and blow up

Thanks for reading - I will add more info as it comes to mind

I appreciate the opportunity to be of service to you.

Last edited by DynoFlash; Sep 25, 2007 at 07:46 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Al, I pm'd you my mod list....your suggestions?
Old Feb 13, 2006, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great list AL

I think this should be a sticky

As far as tuning goes, I never bring my crew, boys, etc as much as I love them and all.... to me they get in my way (even if they dont I worry about them getting in the way of the tuner) and I dont want to bother entertaining them either, so I can focus on working with my tuner to tune my car right.

The only time I bring someone, and its usually just 1 person, a close friend, or my brother to a dyno tune is when I'm getting something major done to my car.. They are usually there to videotape and accompany/advise me in case any problems arises thru-out the day.

Last edited by Blue Evo 8; Feb 13, 2006 at 06:16 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does this mean i cant come hang out no more AL
Old Feb 14, 2006, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

I'm going to be completely honest, i wish i'd have known this before i sent in my money. I get a "random misfire P0300" code on my evo quite frequently it could even be present during the tune. Also, i don't know how to check all those things you listed. I guess i can just hope all that stuff is taken care of already.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 07:04 AM
Former Sponsor

I guess that wastegate one is meant for me =80)
Old Feb 20, 2006, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
this is a great thread Al...

I thought of a something that you might be able to add to this list..

Alignment..
Old Mar 3, 2006, 03:47 AM
Evolving Member

You can't tune a car that has the check engine light for test pipe?
Old Mar 3, 2006, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

I think what he is trying to say is.....If your car has a CEL, something is wrong, get it fixed.......Im sure he can tune a car with a CEL for test pipe, but in lots of cases, something else is wrong causing the CEL
Old Mar 5, 2006, 07:43 AM

Here is a picture of the sucky air intake adaptor.. The little black thingy that bolts to the factory Mass air sensor here disturbs the air badly, making the car run like poo.

On our tuning day, I could NOT make more than 15psi boost, because the car's timing & fuel maps were so confused by this air intake adaptor..

After putting on a Buschur air adaptor, that I borrowed from another evolutionM.net member.. (THANKS TwSTDeVo!!!) The car went to 26psi, with amazing power....

After the tune, we put the crap adaptor back on for the drive to get home, & it was back to driving like crap again.

Here is what the adaptor looks like (It's the little plastic black thingy):
Attached Thumbnails Suggestions for tuning appointments - read before you come for your tuning day!!!!!!-filter_bluemits.jpg  
Old Mar 5, 2006, 08:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what about the evo IX's....with my mods and a tune i shouldn't need a fuel pump....im trying to keep my mods to a minimum for dealership days...
Old Mar 5, 2006, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

I got one that happened to me. MAKE SURE YOUR CIG LIGHTER WORKS. It dident take that long to fix, but it just added to the delay.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

and let me second what Al says, #1- Boost leaks - (all cars should be pressure tested before a tune for boost leaks ) #2-- Boost - is the MBC or EBC working properly and does the car hold steady boost ?

have a shop look at your car if you do not know how to do check these 2 things!!!! nothing sucks more than sitting on the side of the highway and hearing, "Bro, your car is totally fu#cked, its not holding boost!"

in the end you are not only wasting Al's time but the time and $$$ it takes for the shop to repair these problems so you can be tuned properly!

take it from me, DON'T BE THAT GUY!!!!
Old Mar 7, 2006, 09:43 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by talon2evo
Here is a picture of the sucky air intake adaptor.. The little black thingy that bolts to the factory Mass air sensor here disturbs the air badly, making the car run like poo.

On our tuning day, I could NOT make more than 15psi boost, because the car's timing & fuel maps were so confused by this air intake adaptor..

After putting on a Buschur air adaptor, that I borrowed from another evolutionM.net member.. (THANKS TwSTDeVo!!!) The car went to 26psi, with amazing power....

After the tune, we put the crap adaptor back on for the drive to get home, & it was back to driving like crap again.

Here is what the adaptor looks like (It's the little plastic black thingy):

Yes avoid that cheap "blue death" intake at any cost !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

shiiit!!!! i was told that the evo IX has an upgreted full pump, so tthat i didn't have to get one!! so if you got one AL please let me know

Quick Reply: Suggestions for tuning appointments - read before you come for your tuning day!!!!!!