Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

E-85 Going Away?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2009, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
By god I think you're right..In fact it's our best resource...LOL

Honestly though......E-85 doesn't have to be made with just corn. I don't need to explain this either. There is plently to support this...people just need to read and educate themselves. As far as energy to produce. It is intersting how no one brings up the fact about how much a oil tanker burns to get the oil here from the middle east. Also how much blood it costs us to defend our "national" interests
over there.

Right on Dave for getting a still and makin some home grown energy. We all know Henry Ford was on the right track when he ran his first cars on ethanol. History was changed when the government got their fat *** in the way and came up with prohibition. Hope history doesn't re-write itself and spoil a ethanol comeback.

BTW ....The government using the money to subsidise E-85 production is allot better of a cause then shoring up crooked financial institutions

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
Is that why there is soo much E-85 in Sac??

LOL JK

Last edited by whtrice; Sep 18, 2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by denver
I seriously dont see e85 going away.

It is a relatively easy solution to the every growing oil consumption problem.

E85 requires VERY little technology change as far as the internal combustion engine goes.
electric cars sill require electricity to work which is largely very harmful to the environment, and consumes a very high % of fossil fuels

Hybrids are even worse, I am 100% against hybrids, because they are just an excuse, prolonging the inevitable, we are going to run out of oil, we are consuming it very fast.... Lets come up with a solution instead of band aide that reduces our consumption...

The problems related to Ethanol manufacturing is in its production, but considering its relatively new, there is likely still very easy ways to improve the production process, aka the algae method

everyone has the mind set that its has to come from corn, thats untrue, Brazil produces it from sugar cane if Im not mistaken, all it takes is a few smart people to figure out a way to improve the production of ethanol, and we will have a very good fuel alternative to gas.

Just my $.02 on the issues
Sorry to disagree with a fellow ntec brother. But the part about running out of oil is bs and as far as fossil fuels I wish people would stop using this false term. Oil is produced from inside our earths core and is constantly being replenished as found in dry wells left alone will start to produce again years later. I won't even try to debate denver on much else because he is much smarter than I As far as E85 going not anytime soon!

Last edited by PlanoEvo; Sep 19, 2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PlanoEvo
Sorry to disagree with a fellow ntec brother. But the part about running out of oil is bs and as far as fossil fuels I wish people would stop using this false term. Oil is produced from inside our earths core and is constantly being replenished as found in dry wells left alone will start to produce again years later. I won't even try to debate denver on much else because he is much smarter than I As far as E85 going not anytime soon!
Hahaha ok... maybe I'm victim to media BS about the oil issues... running out etc... I donno, I dont have any other gauge, than the idiot light in my car hahaha..... According to my only resource George, he is seeing a lot of wells dry up and stop pumping..... but he is also always drilling in "virgin" territory too... so go figure..

I do know one thing, weather we are running out or not....as far as e-85 goes, I would much rather run a fuel that is "home grown" than rely on having to ship in oil from all over the world, and I know we will figure out a way to make the production process better than it is now.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
agreed
Old Sep 20, 2009, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
whtrice, I agree with everything you said. Yes ethanol can be made from a lot of things but the yield from using a lot of other things is much lower, some higher but can't be grown in many climates. Anyway, you are right on the money.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 07:26 AM

Plus now there are many other biomass sources available to produce E85
other than corn. Such as plant algae and cellulose, so the need for the actual
corn crop might diminish soon. I just wish there were more E85 stations in
the tri state areas.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I understand it, the current 'restriction' for ethanol is in refining capacity. Very few ethanol 'corn' refineries actually exist out there (USA). And all of the other sources - trash, cellulose, algae, etc. - are still in development stage.

There are no large companies dumping huge amounts of money into ethanol refinery construction, nor into ethanol R&D from other sources.

The large US energy companies are not focused on diversification as they should be. Crude oil companies sing "drill, baby, drill", T. Boone Pickens sings "wind, baby, wind", coal companies sing "burn, baby, burn", and environmentalists sing "no more Nukes, baby, no more Nukes".

There are a few exceptions, of which we should be exceedingly grateful. Exxon invests in Algae.

However, when you consider Exxon's $600M investment in algae production, it palls in comparison to their total 2009 capital budget of $29B. That makes ethanol only 2% of Exxon's budget. Better than nothing, I admit, but certainly not a serious step in the direction of energy diversification. Exxon 2009 capital budget.

Good article on nuclear power.

Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:26 PM

brazil is producing tons of 100% ethanol too and all their cars, well most are flex fuel. Prices are about half the price we pay for pump gas. but they are smashing tons of sugar cane and refining it for many years when nobody believed in alternative fuels.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:24 AM
Evolving Member

foreign fuel companies in mexico are growing e from algea. They produce double the amount of e from an acre of algea then a an acre of corn.

Last edited by Thugline; Sep 21, 2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

Here is their website and all of you guys should check this site out because it's very useful info.
http://www.algenolbiofuels.com/advan...efficient.html
Old Sep 21, 2009, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

^^^^^^Sorry Thug, but according to the web site they aren't producing anything at present. They plan to have production in Mexico by the end of 2010, maybe, and they recently entered into a deal with DOW.

Algenol Biofuels & DOW.

I have not been able to find any documentation of full-scale current US production of ethanol from anything other than corn. There are a few R&D algae bioreactors, but nothing in full-scale production. If anyone has other info, please post.

Last edited by Jim in Tucson; Sep 21, 2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 06:44 AM

I hope it doesn't go aWay
Old Sep 21, 2009, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MR.06MR
I know GM is going to stop making E85 cars and trucks.
Please provide a link to proof of this.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
They're not, and I don't think the OP will be posting a rebuttal any time soon.

In fact, the new fuel efficiency regulations from the White House all but guarantee that most domestic automakers will have a large fleet of E85-capable vehicles in their portfolios, because while an automaker has to average out at 34.1 mpg for their entire fleet, that's 34.1 miles per gallon of petroleum, not fuel in general. And if they can claim that the vehicle can run E85, they can use the lower petroleum percentage in their fleet mpg calculations.

Nice little loophole, but it's a hell of an incentive to make your entire fleet of vehicles E85-capable, if you can.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

^^^^^and that's exactly why Detroit is focused entirely on trucks and SUVs for their flex fuel fleet. Not much incentive to add flex fuel capability to a gas sipping econo car.

Quick Reply: E-85 Going Away?