Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Race gas will be illegal in CA??

Old Jun 4, 2010, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Race gas will be illegal in CA??

Not that I live in cali, but man, I feel sorry for you cali guys! (Not sure if this is the right section, but I felt it would be suited best in the alternative fuel section)

From the July, 2010 issue of Import Tuner
By Scott Tsuneishi

California has upheld the strictest vehicle emissions laws in all 50 states, punishing those who own modified vehicles and categorizing their rides as "gross polluters". As it appears, CARB (for California Air Resource Board), formed to regulate air quality while determining how clean and fuel-efficient a vehicle should run, is tightening the noose around our industry's neck a wee-bit tighter. These tree-hugging hippies have a long history of tussling with the automotive performance market, devising requirements for every underhood modification imaginable, to advocating increasingly more stringent smog laws in an attempt to legislate performance out of our cars. If CARB attempting to scare the performance industry out of business isn't a bad enough thought, think about this: They just announced that it is illegal to sell, supply, and run race fuel in your street car.

And the situation is worse than it appears. Not only will the owner of any California-registered car break the law by filling that car with race gas, the shop or supply store who sold them the fuel could also receive a hefty fine if caught. Local race tracks offering race gas are also affected by this law, and legally have to stop selling race fuel to vehicles with a license plate. Service stations or performance shops will now have to keep records of who is buying the race gas, for which vehicle it's being used, and in which race it's to be used. The new ban will have a far-reaching effect on enthusiasts who race their high-performance street cars on the weekends, as well as those who participate in local autocrosses and privately organized track days, many of which may not be sanctioned race events recognized by CARB. Fortunately, enthusiasts are still allowed to pump 100-octane CARB-approved fuel at various service stations-but the question is: For how long? And will locally organized track functions soon be required to obtain CARB permits to hold events? How outrageously much will that end up costing enthusiasts? Get involved. Visit: http://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/advs/advs397.pdf

Senior Editor
Scott Tsuneishi

Old Jun 4, 2010, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well guess a lot of people will just be switching over to good ol' E85.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AngryEvo8
Well guess a lot of people will just be switching over to good ol' E85.
Yup, wonder how long it will take CARB in cali to catch onto the E85 being used in non flex fuel cars and being used for performance. Seems to me CARB is just trying to get rid of all and any performance cars.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
In cali if it does not come from the factory that way dont even waste your time with it. Same goes for gas, if you cannot get it at the pump dont play.

My **** is registered out of cali so that I do not have to deal with the bull****. But I would run Q16 on the streets. I never had a problem. The only time I could see it being an issue is if you got hit by the random smog inspection check points.

I dont think that cali will crack down as hard as they are saying, we dont have the budget for it. But yes we do have some of the most insane laws.

Since I have switched to e85, I will never look back. TO hell with paying 15+ a gallon for Q16 when you can get e85 for 2.60 a gallon.

I just picked up 25 gallons for 65 bucks, which is less than I used to pay for 5 gallons of Q16. I also made more power on E85 then on Q16.

678hp/479tq
http://www.streetfire.net/video/gvr4...96_2017801.htm
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

That's lame. Soon they're going to ban our "high test" 91 octane gas....
Old Jun 5, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
God bless Texas
Old Jun 5, 2010, 09:17 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
and you will see many more states following what CA has done, no wonder they are bankrupt with all the rules and regs.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
Originally Posted by apagan01
and you will see many more states following what CA has done, no wonder they are bankrupt with all the rules and regs.
Maybe maybe not look at how long CARB has been around. My evo is still different then one purchased in Cali. I think the rest of the country will be good. But at least E85 is starting to pop up more and more in the country
Old Jun 5, 2010, 09:53 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by DBallz
Maybe maybe not look at how long CARB has been around. My evo is still different then one purchased in Cali. I think the rest of the country will be good. But at least E85 is starting to pop up more and more in the country
E85 even many dont think is cost effective ,, but it is for an evo

well, let me give you an example, the gov in FL, Charlie signed into law about a year ago to adapt the same exact emmision regs that CA has, however i dont think this takes effect until a few years down the road,,, you know the media did not make much noise about this,, and id say on purpose the government did not give it much publicity because you ask around not much people knows about it.

these rules and regs are great they have great intentions,,, however they cost companies so much money that is not even worth it to do business here un the US.

man we can go on and on......... Dballz how are you doing bro, hows business, hows the little one,,,i tell you we are having fun with our new born

Last edited by apagan01; Jun 5, 2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 10:55 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by DBallz
There is no cali and federal version of the Evo. I don't think many car companies do that at all anymore.

Evo is the same all over the US. Same parts, tune, etc.

- Bryan

Last edited by GST Motorsports; Jun 5, 2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by apagan01
I hear this threat alot here in WA. Other than major metropolitan areas there are ZERO smog checks. In the cities (3 counties) they have plug in checks for OBD2 and sniffer only for OBD1 and down.

Oregon has the same laws in Portland only as I am aware.

My grandfather and uncle warned me about this for the last 15 years, and the legislation didnt pass before either of them did so I think we are safe here. East Coast states makes more sense though since thats where the people are by and large.

Its not hippies, its environmentalists. They wanna shut down the sand dunes where literally the only wildlife is ground squirrels. They chopped 60% of the Oregon dunes down because of that in the last 25 years. Hippies are fine as long as they stay out of things. People that think they have to control what others do without need (environmentalists) are the issue.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they take away my ethanol I'll move to another state
Old Jun 5, 2010, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

damnit i have ****ing california BS smog laws. and all the bureaucracy.... stupid. i need to move out of this state.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Its not hippies, its environmentalists. They wanna shut down the sand dunes where literally the only wildlife is ground squirrels. They chopped 60% of the Oregon dunes down because of that in the last 25 years. Hippies are fine as long as they stay out of things. People that think they have to control what others do without need (environmentalists) are the issue.
Haha that's the first time I've heard anyone try to make a logical distinction between hippies and environmentalist.

A few years back, my wife & I were looking at potential places to move (we were both fresh out of grad school, and on the job hunt), and although there are some really places in California, I didn't want to put up with all the CARB bs.

Granted the car enthusiast population isn't a huge percentage of the total state population, I'm sure it's a good chunk of the wealthy, tax paying population. I'd be interested to see if those guys eventually move out once half of their cars become either undrivable or illegal.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 11:42 AM
Account Disabled

Oh i am with you on your enviromentalist comment i never though the hippies had any effect !, enviro peeps they have so many lobiest up in Washington that have great pull, and needless to say that the government we have in place are all about the green fade of the moment.

dont take me wrong some of these rules and regs have great intentions, however they cost so much money to the corporations and the state and we know where all that profit lost ends up it ends up in the consumers hands to pay back with higher taxes and higher product pricing, for a new family to start a life in CA is close to imposible unless you are willing to drive 3 hours to work and back to home and i am talking even educated couples with college.

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I hear this threat alot here in WA. Other than major metropolitan areas there are ZERO smog checks. In the cities (3 counties) they have plug in checks for OBD2 and sniffer only for OBD1 and down.

Oregon has the same laws in Portland only as I am aware.

My grandfather and uncle warned me about this for the last 15 years, and the legislation didnt pass before either of them did so I think we are safe here. East Coast states makes more sense though since thats where the people are by and large.

Last edited by apagan01; Jun 5, 2010 at 11:49 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Race gas will be illegal in CA??