Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

Race gas will be illegal in CA??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2010, 11:46 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Falcon350z
Haha that's the first time I've heard anyone try to make a logical distinction between hippies and environmentalist.

A few years back, my wife & I were looking at potential places to move (we were both fresh out of grad school, and on the job hunt), and although there are some really places in California, I didn't want to put up with all the CARB bs.

Granted the car enthusiast population isn't a huge percentage of the total state population, I'm sure it's a good chunk of the wealthy, tax paying population. I'd be interested to see if those guys eventually move out once half of their cars become either undrivable or illegal.
I dont think its a real big deal in my opinion car enthusiast is not the most innportant thing in this world dont miisread that comment,,,, but from another perspective like i stated these reg cost too much money and they take a tole on the state and consumer, people dont realize that all these green ideas cost bunch of money way much more than we realize, and it ends up in the consumers hands, corp neither the gov will pay for it, it goes into the form of taxes ect....
Old Jun 5, 2010, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
The town of Forks (now known for Twilight) was actually deemed illegal at one point because it fell inside a spotted owl protection zone due to environmentalists. Hippies become Ecos but not all Ecos are Hippies.

I come from a logging town and logging community. I am a 5th generation logger (no longer obviously) who understands what sustainable forestry means independent of "they're killing mother earth". Replanting and careful management actually means less forest fires and chance of massive destruction. Old growth gets left alone and half the second growth is large enough within 70 years to be "old growth". Point is if you ask an Eco they will tell that it is all propaganda and lies (interesting reversal really).

Same is true with performance cars. More of what we do has practical impact for better use of the car than the oil/overly rich buring rigs they drive. I am sure we have all seen them in their 1969 VW bus that is emissions exempt that burns more oil than gas and gets half the mileage an Evo does. Who really is the polluter? The guy with 500whp or 50whp? I guarantee that 99% of the time its the 50whp car.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can imagine shops selling race gas out the back door with 50% markups like illegal booze back in the day. Someone is going to get paid from that crazy law.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:24 PM
Account Disabled

garbage *** lobbyist/ tree-hugging laws. time to re-register my car in one of the midwest states that dont give a FU*K
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i thought this was already passed that race gas was illegal in Cali? Maybe I misread that it was somewhere.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

I hope they start opening more e85 stations in orange county,ca as the need is apparent.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Didn't obama say he was all about getting e85 more available across the country?

Call Gov Arnold and tell him to you want more e85. ha
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

I cant standing being stationed out here in california because of these laws. Even with Texas License plates i still get harrased by the local law enforcement. I asked a police officer at one point" Why did you stop me" I was going the speed limt minding my own . His reply was that I have an after martket spoiler ( pointing at the stock evo Spoiler) I starrted laughing....
Old Jun 25, 2010, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jbenosa
I hope they start opening more e85 stations in orange county,ca as the need is apparent.

100% agree!!!
Old Jun 25, 2010, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

I honestly can't believe there are no E85 stations in Orange County. With all of the money and nice cars here it's baffling. A station in central OC like Irvine would rake in so much money it would set records.

Modding your Evo to run E85 is illegal in CA so even if buying/selling E85 isn't (since it's not "race gas")...you can still get screwed.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoIX2240
I can imagine shops selling race gas out the back door with 50% markups like illegal booze back in the day. Someone is going to get paid from that crazy law.
Originally Posted by *constant_boost
i thought this was already passed that race gas was illegal in Cali? Maybe I misread that it was somewhere.
First, they not making race gas TOTALLY illegal. That are saying its illegal to use it on "street cars". Race gas will still be sold in California, just now with a warning/caution/disclaimer saying that using it in street cars is illegal.

Originally Posted by srcevo8
I honestly can't believe there are no E85 stations in Orange County. With all of the money and nice cars here it's baffling. A station in central OC like Irvine would rake in so much money it would set records.

Modding your Evo to run E85 is illegal in CA so even if buying/selling E85 isn't (since it's not "race gas")...you can still get screwed.
Correct. Running E-85 in a car that didnt come from the factory to run E-85 is illegal.

But I dont think the people that run E85 care....
Old Aug 1, 2010, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

i think E85 hasnt really hit Cali yet unless all the major racing circuits start using it like Formula 1, 24Hours Of LeMans. the level of consistency isnt that great only having a shelf life of 28days after it hits the gas station & since its corrosive the potential few cents a gallon u save over 91 now has to go towards more fuel filters, addl parts that go bad, etc. racegas is more expensive because they have engineered all the bugs out of it making it consistent. it also doesn't eat parts (unless leaded) & it can sit around longer than a month without turning into water...
Old Aug 5, 2010, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by housedj
i think E85 hasnt really hit Cali yet unless all the major racing circuits start using it like Formula 1, 24Hours Of LeMans. the level of consistency isnt that great only having a shelf life of 28days after it hits the gas station & since its corrosive the potential few cents a gallon u save over 91 now has to go towards more fuel filters, addl parts that go bad, etc. racegas is more expensive because they have engineered all the bugs out of it making it consistent. it also doesn't eat parts (unless leaded) & it can sit around longer than a month without turning into water...
I have never heard of this 28 day shelf life. That's interesting. that must be when stored in a crappy container or some vessle that is open to the atmosphere.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

That is news to me too. We had stored up to 6 million gallons of ethanol for 4-5 months prior to rail shipments at times and it still met US Spec for e98 at time of shipment. Normally it is shipped immediately however because inventory is just to expensive to hold. Granted- the larger the volume- the less exposure to air. I also would like to point out that in a station (at least all in Wisconsin due to air quality rules) there will be pressure/vacumm vents on each underground tank that will minimize or even eliminate air exchange--only incoming air is to replace product pumped out as levels drop. Personally held under those conditions I would expect the E85 to be good for months. This would not be true of an open container of course or even open vented fuel cells or carbs- that is where care and turnover is needed.