Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

FYI California Crackdown on Modified Cars

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2005, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI California Crackdown on Modified Cars

Police in Sacramento, California announced last Wednesday that they would use $5 million in federal money to begin cracking down on auto enthusiasts who modify their vehicles. The money will be used to form an undercover "Drag-Net" unit to stop motorists who appear to be driving modified cars.

The concept, which originated in San Diego in 2001, has been spreading throughout the state and generated significant revenue for the California Highway Patrol and local departments. In Santa Fe Springs, for example, twelve officers on Drag-Net duty issued 300 citations and impounded 50 vehicles in just one weekend. Several cities have drag-racing ordinances that allow police to auction off seized cars and keep the profits.

Under Drag-Net, San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment.

In practice, "excessive exaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the California Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."

Drivers of stock vehicles that come from the factory with some of the characteristics of modified cars have experienced harassment under this provision. One such motorist complained on an enthusiast website that the Calfiornia Highway Patrol was using these programs to make "driving while Asian" a crime, pointing out that the department's own website has several pages dedicated to Asian involvement in street racing and "vehicle modification."

Those receiving a vehicle modification "fix-it" ticket must visit a California Bureau of Automobile Repair office and pay a $35 fee to have their car inspected. If the car fails, a judge can impose another fine of up to $2000 for failing to meet California emissions requirements.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

old news...but anyway, I guess that's a good source of revenue for the state of kali, that's why their doing it...

good thing I don't live in kali..........
Old Aug 15, 2005, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

cali ****ing sucks
Old Aug 15, 2005, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

I'm moving.....
Old Aug 15, 2005, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

that SH&% sucks .
Old Aug 15, 2005, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I lived in Cali for 1 year and never had a problem. I now live in Fairfax, VA and I face problems all the time.

If you think cops are bad in cali come to Fairfax, VA and enjoy.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

I guess they don't make enough in taxes off the parts people are buying to modify their cars?
Old Aug 15, 2005, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

5million!!!

Instead of taking that money to hunt us down, they need to take that money and help MORE important problems cali has like... drugs, violence, crime, school education. Goahead, have 2 cops pull me over... but down the street there is a woman shot, and the closest 2 officers just pulled me, because I have a loud exhaust or a dark tint.

Or a school in a poor neighborhood can't afford new books for the class, because the capitol felt it was more important to hunt me down, than help that childs education. Street racing, while a small problem... isn't nearly as bad as california drug, violence, crime, school eduction sutitions. Also, they can't stop... there best bet is to contain it, and that hasn't work yet.

That's a waste of money, when it could go to problems that need it MORE. A state in a financial crisis... putting themselves in more red zone. Good going california
Old Aug 15, 2005, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Az3ar
I lived in Cali for 1 year and never had a problem. I now live in Fairfax, VA and I face problems all the time.

If you think cops are bad in cali come to Fairfax, VA and enjoy.
that's why I moved out of NOVA to cali...

The biggest reason behind this is the problems with street racing and side shows. Street racing is a particularly stupid activity when you consider that within 4 hours of sacramento, you have race tracks in Reno NV, buttonwillow, thunderhill, sears point, and Lagna seca. For drag strips, you have one in Saco, sears point, and I think there is one in Reno. There are at least 4 chapters of the SCCA to autocrossing, not to mention all the private clubs that run autocrossing.

Oh yeah, almost forgot... We also stage alot of rally cross in the region too...

Street racing is stupid, especially in cali with the enourmous amount of legal venues to satisfy your need for speed.

Last edited by chrisw; Aug 15, 2005 at 08:29 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
So much for living in a "free" country. Go Republicans...
Old Aug 15, 2005, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

I will take california over virginia anyday.. for all those people who are *****ing about the "crack down"..gimme a break, if its a crack down its only cause they let everything go now. Exceeding 80mph in virginia is a FELONY! yep.. im a two time felon in virginia... speed traps all over the place and radar detectors are illegal. My first speeding ticket in virginia was just under $1000.. the second one cost me $500 both were on major interstates on long drives with no other cars in sight.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ha, yeah, when i drive through VA on my snowboarding trips to W. VA i have to take the radar detector down....sucks.

cali sucks too though....
Old Aug 15, 2005, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Arithmetic
5million!!!

Instead of taking that money to hunt us down, they need to take that money and help MORE important problems cali has like... drugs, violence, crime, school education. Goahead, have 2 cops pull me over... but down the street there is a woman shot, and the closest 2 officers just pulled me, because I have a loud exhaust or a dark tint.

Or a school in a poor neighborhood can't afford new books for the class, because the capitol felt it was more important to hunt me down, than help that childs education. Street racing, while a small problem... isn't nearly as bad as california drug, violence, crime, school eduction sutitions. Also, they can't stop... there best bet is to contain it, and that hasn't work yet.

That's a waste of money, when it could go to problems that need it MORE. A state in a financial crisis... putting themselves in more red zone. Good going california
1+
Wow... I strongly agree with this guy!
Old Aug 15, 2005, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

this is what my friends in cali call the DWA law...Driving While Asian
Old Aug 15, 2005, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

3 months ago, a white Camaro CHP tailed on me for a mile or two on the 680 freeway because he saw me accelerating fast from a freeway on-ramp. The CHP tailed on me that long, he saw my exhaust, tinted windows, and then he decided to pass me. I also drive a lot to Sacramento and had a few encounters with the CHP but never got any pull-overs, knock on wood. Never got a ticket on my EVO. I got two speeding tickets on my CLK55 for the last 3 years .

Last edited by evo55; Aug 15, 2005 at 08:17 PM.

Quick Reply: FYI California Crackdown on Modified Cars