Notices
E85 / Ethanol This section is dedicated to tuning with ethanol.

E85 + Winter (what should I be worried about)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E85 + Winter (what should I be worried about)

Well im new to the E85 world and I will be driving my evo this winter. Is there anything I should be worried about or watch for while running E85 this winter or should I just get a pump gas tune? Im open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Brian
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
E85 is a pain in the a*s to get going when it's cold. Do you park the car inside or outside?!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:47 PM

Inside but i work into the night so it gets cold outside. I figured it would just have to warm up a lot longer hahaha but for the most part it sits in my garage
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian's 8
Inside but i work into the night so it gets cold outside. I figured it would just have to warm up a lot longer hahaha but for the most part it sits in my garage
Once it gets going and is warmed up its fine, getting it started is the annoying part.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 01:03 PM

Yah so far the tune that I got from Devin has been amazing it runs great but just is very touchy until some what warmed up.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 05:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by e_kobz
Once it gets going and is warmed up its fine, getting it started is the annoying part.
Haha true .
Old Nov 2, 2014, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

My car is a pain in the *** to start. About 15 cranks to get the ****er started.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Will I have a problem with the 2150s starting the car in the winter with E85?

I have the same concern, but have added large 2150 injectors on a new build, AEM series 2. I just recently found out that you can wash out the rings from repeatedly starting it.

I just stopped driving it until I get this figured out!

Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 08:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
all the tables needed to fix cold starting have been available for several years. any good tuner who lives in a cold climate should know what's needed.

main issue i see is to keep an eye on wot afrs as the temperature drops.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by e_kobz
E85 is a pain in the a*s to get going when it's cold. Do you park the car inside or outside?!
If the car is tuned correctly you will not have one problem with cold start. I have a mini battery and 2150cc injectors and a double pumper. Car starts right up first crank like stock!

Originally Posted by Brian's 8
Well im new to the E85 world and I will be driving my evo this winter. Is there anything I should be worried about or watch for while running E85 this winter or should I just get a pump gas tune? Im open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Brian
Im in PA, at my local pump summer blend is around E84-E87 winter blend it drops to E78-E80. I have never changed the tune once. As long as your not pushing the tune to its limits on E85 you should be fine.

Originally Posted by GHEvo8
My car is a pain in the *** to start. About 15 cranks to get the ****er started.
you need a new tuner sir.

Originally Posted by mrfred
all the tables needed to fix cold starting have been available for several years. any good tuner who lives in a cold climate should know what's needed.

main issue i see is to keep an eye on wot afrs as the temperature drops.
100% agree with mrfred!
Old Nov 7, 2014, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Yea if you have a proper tune it will run exactly the same as with gas. All these people having problems don't have it tuned properly.

Last edited by rich3389; Nov 7, 2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
It is absolutely all down to the tune. I was the first person my tuner converted to e85 a few years ago and living in Massachusetts we had some fun playing around with the startup tables so she would fire right up in below freezing temps.

Now I have no worries starting my car at any temperature. Last winter, one night leaving work it was about 5 degrees out and she fired right up. Moral of the story-with the right tuner cold startup shouldn't a concern.

However a couple folks also mentioned some things which is worth highlighting again. Depending on what part of the country you live in the ethanol content varies between the months. In MA it typically tests out to around 80% and in the winter months it goes down to about 70%. I test my fuel everytime before I fill up so I am aware of the ethanol content. Typically when it drops to 70% I just go back to 93 but the tune should probably be OK, it'll just run a little richer. So as long as you are cognizant of it and your AFR's you should be OK.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
It is absolutely all down to the tune. I was the first person my tuner converted to e85 a few years ago and living in Massachusetts we had some fun playing around with the startup tables so she would fire right up in below freezing temps.

Now I have no worries starting my car at any temperature. Last winter, one night leaving work it was about 5 degrees out and she fired right up. Moral of the story-with the right tuner cold startup shouldn't a concern.

However a couple folks also mentioned some things which is worth highlighting again. Depending on what part of the country you live in the ethanol content varies between the months. In MA it typically tests out to around 80% and in the winter months it goes down to about 70%. I test my fuel everytime before I fill up so I am aware of the ethanol content. Typically when it drops to 70% I just go back to 93 but the tune should probably be OK, it'll just run a little richer. So as long as you are cognizant of it and your AFR's you should be OK.
That is 2nd for E85 and cold start being the tune!

That's great news, sounds like I will be fine when he's done!

Is this the same for either stock or AEM? I am running a series 2 w/gm flex fuel sensor?

Last edited by ryukinevo; Nov 7, 2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 05:13 PM

What should you do if after testing your e85 it ends up being very low rating, like e50-60 something in that range? Is there any way to easily bump it back up to the correct range?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 02:31 PM
Account Disabled

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Benefit of running the AEM v2 with the flex fuel sensor is the ability of the ecu to adjust itself depending on the ethenol content of whatever it is your using. Im still trying to get mine dialed in but slowly and surely its happening.

Quick Reply: E85 + Winter (what should I be worried about)