Notices
ECU Flash

Load found on Evo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2006, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't see a correlation between those addresses and the known equivalent request IDs on the Evo. But there are different addressing modes and different memories so they may refer to something we'll find in future?
Old Jul 24, 2006, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
John, I wonder if some of the difference is your JDM ECU. It has tables that no american ECU I have seen does. 4 HOT maps, the lean spool engage/disable, Maybe thats some of this difference?
Lean spool disable is right there on the US JM8859 at &H1285. Scaling is RPM=31.25x, so it is at 7000 RPM.

If you notice a step increase in injector time at 7000 RPM despite the fuel map being flat then you'll want to change this. With the MIVEC gains you're finding from 7000-8000 this is something to know whether it is working or not on your ECU.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Interesting. I wish I understood ECUFlash programming and I would look for them. Tuning is one thing, deciphering the language is another matter (least for me).
Its really not as hard as you may think it is. Its a lot like using a game genie to try and cheat at a video game. Simply look for values reported out by the ECU and try to correlate them to a known value. The hard part is getting the known value first, which is why items like RPM, TPS, etc are easier to locate. You know what they are, and when they are changing. The XML file is pretty easy to read, and you can load up whatever registers you want to watch in it pretty easily. Its more time consuming then difficult, but with the large number of people looking at this now, we should be able to fully decode all the registers for logging fairly quickly.

Good work JCS!
Old Jul 24, 2006, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

It is a 3 bar MAP sensor!

See attachment. I became suspicious when I remembered that I was seeing 4B with the engine off, which seems to tally with the normal voltage range for the factory MAP sensor. So I unplugged it and it went to FF.

So this is the reason some of you with a 1 bar MAP sensor are pegging the &H38 request ID as soon as you go onto boost.

Nice to know it is there then, and the scaling from the service manual shown is MAP (KPa) = 1.334x assuming the supply rail voltage to the MAP sensor is exactly 5.0V. You'll need to work out your own 1 bar MAP scalings from your service manuals or by experimentation.

I'll put more work in on finding other stuff this week, I'm not giving up on load yet.

However, knowing high speed boost logging on your maps is a pretty close correlation.
Attached Thumbnails Load found on Evo-map.gif  

Last edited by jcsbanks; Jul 24, 2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my logs at that address show the reading being pegged at approx 100 kpa absolute or 0 bar boost on the quage.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

That's interesting stuff.

I guess the 3bar map sensor is only on JDM EVO's then?? I recall reading that USDM EVO's have a MDP (manifold differental pressure) sensor which only reads upto 1bar absoulte pressue, I am not aware of anything else on USDM EVO VIII's though.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 04:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
His car is a JDM Evo9 too I think the IX does have a 2bar sensor (US, EU, and JDM) of some sort..

The 8's definitely have a 1 bar sensor, which basically reads engine vacuum only.. so it qualifies as an MDP..
Old Jul 24, 2006, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by jcsbanks
Lean spool disable is right there on the US JM8859 at &H1285. Scaling is RPM=31.25x, so it is at 7000 RPM.

If you notice a step increase in injector time at 7000 RPM despite the fuel map being flat then you'll want to change this. With the MIVEC gains you're finding from 7000-8000 this is something to know whether it is working or not on your ECU.

Hmmm, very good to know. Thank you John and thank you PDX. I guess I need to stop being lazy and look at it. Now that you mention it PDX, once upon a time I was a master hacker (not really so much a master, but good) with a game shark and a PS/PS2. I spose this cant be harder than that really.

EDIT- Apparently I dont need to worry about Lean Spool (which is good cause I wasnt entirely clear on what it did):

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=201019

Last edited by JohnBradley; Jul 24, 2006 at 05:20 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
His car is a JDM Evo9 too I think the IX does have a 2bar sensor (US, EU, and JDM) of some sort..

The 8's definitely have a 1 bar sensor, which basically reads engine vacuum only.. so it qualifies as an MDP..
Actually John's car is an FQ340 with a JDM IX GSR ECU.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack

how difficult would it be to swap the usdm VIII MDP for a 3bar gm sensor? I just happen to have one laying around...
Old Jul 24, 2006, 07:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
how difficult would it be to swap the usdm VIII MDP for a 3bar gm sensor? I just happen to have one laying around...
I don't know how useful it would be even if you did get it installed and calibrated.. It shouldn't realistically be all that difficult.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

John (Aaron) I wouldn't assume that lean spool does nothing - it is nothing to do with anti-lag on my ECU - there is separate stuff for that. That posting (despite having reliable people posting in it) put me off the scent for a while. I would log your car and see that there is no step at 7000 RPM before being certain?
Old Jul 25, 2006, 03:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All very interesting leads. I'm having my own troubles dialing in my car, I think a lot of what you guys are doing is going to help
Old Jul 25, 2006, 03:48 AM
Evolved Member

I'm thinking again about 2A and 2B being the low and high bytes of another loadish measurement. Working on it. I've now simultaneously logged 00-7F requests looking for patterns.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 03:53 AM

I have seen MAP in the manifold also in evo7 and evo8 JDM's. In my euro evo8 i dont have it.
I think it works only in emergency mode-when your piping is blown from the manifold or U broke the intercooler.So the boost cannot appear in the manifold and high boost sensor is not required.

I was thinking about this sensor as a feature to use evo ecu in map driven mode - but we dont have maps in our definition for this sensor - the main VE map .