Notices
ECU Flash

How much longer until evoscan .98

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2007, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jfitzpat
I suspect that my forum days here are now severely numbered. I've been making someone a bit aggravated and I think that my pointing out that he had confused an analog input with an analog output was the final straw.

jfitzpat - The guy who is giving you a problem, Scott from TTP engineering, is acting like a little child. Tell Klaus you need to become a vendor here, your information is very unbaised and extreamly useful to the forums. BTW I have an lc-1, LM-1, LMA-2 & 2 XD-16 gauges between all my cars and love them like family.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jfitzpat
It should be clear by now that I am a huge fan of street/track tuning. But I still think it is important to understand the areas where a dyno is really the right tool.

I think coolguycooz is dead on in mentioning P and T. A dyno has dramatically few variables and is in a better position ot measure the ones remaining. If you look in another thread where I posted two different power calcuations my first point is easy to see. My first calculation is not really all that simple, the 'slope' function called does a spline, but while it can provide a surprisingly close measurement to a dyno - it under reports with a track log. Once the car is moving, aerodynamics have to be accounted for. Again, while the second, much longer, calculation that I provided can produce values quite close to a dyno - there are way more variables involved. Variables that are hard to control and precisely monitor.

Similiarly, getting good results out of DLL or my LogWorks calcuation highlights the second advantage that a dyno generally has. If you are taking RPM from an ECU via MUT, there is rounding (RPM is reported as a value from 0-255). Since the readings are course, the data has to be smoothed to get even a reasonably accurate slope measurement. The way most dynos control load (and monitor RPM) are both more precise, leading to more accurate calculations.

From a tuning perspective it is important to understand that, as much as we want to know an exact HP number - absolute readings are not what is truly important. It is the consistancy and repeatability that is truly important. When you are making tuning tweaks and testing them, you really want to know if the gain or loss of an HP or two is real, or just the side effect of one of the many variables beyond your control.

Again, I am a huge proponent of street/track tuning - I'm just not ready to call dynos obsolete yet!

-jjf

P.S. To Malibu Jake - you'll find some gear calculations similiar to what you are talking about on our forum. There is a user who has been getting some very good results in this area and posting his work.

Regarding taking GPS velocity or other speed inputs for P/T - good luck, but be forewarned that other folks have had some difficulty. It comes down to the courseness issue I mentioned above. A GPS is typically updating somewhere between 1 and 10 Hz (1-4 is typical), and each sample is typically +/- 3 to 10 meters. This makes for an even courser reading than ECU RPM.

P.P.S. I'd love to actually discuss this area in detail. Since I've tried experimenting with low cost accellerometers myself - but I suspect that my forum days here are now severely numbered. I've been making someone a bit aggravated and I think that my pointing out that he had confused an analog input with an analog output was the final straw. Still, feel free to hit me up offline - some of the GPS stuff I've done combines inertial data with GPS data and you might be able to take it a step farther.
You're posts have always been spot on.

I thought that useful information on this forum was going by the wayside.

Thanks for posting.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

For MJ:

Just a follow up to what I posted above, one source of input which is quite good is accelleration. This is because, as Klaus once pointed out to me, it is already a differential input. Here is a power from accell/RPM formula that I have used (sorry, it is metric) with very good results:

?Vehicle weight in kg = m
?Tire diameter in cm = td
?Gear ratio of run = gear_ratio
?Final drive ratio = finaldrive
?i Name of RPM channel = rpm
?i Name of Acceleration channel = acc{g}
?Frontal area of vehicle (sqm) = Ar[2]
?Drag coefficient = Cd[0.45]
?Current atmospheric pressure (millibar) = atmp[1013.2]
?Current temperature (degC) = temp[15]

#SAE correction factor
SAEcf = (1.18 * ((990/atmp) * sqrt((temp + 273.15)/298)) )- 0.18

#air density
density = 0.0412236 * atmp/ (temp + 273.15)

R = td / 200 #tire radius in m

# speed in m/sec
v = rpm * R * pi ) / ( gear_ratio * finaldrive * 30)

# aerodynamic draq in Newton
Fa = 0.5 * density * (v^2) * Ar * Cd

F = (m * acc/9.81) + Fa
trq = F * R * SAEcf / (gear_ratio * finaldrive)
MC(torque;Nm;0) = trq
MC(power;hp;0) = trq * rpm / 7121

For comparison, here would be power from speed and accell (again metric - and rpm used for torque):

?Vehicle weight in kg = m
?Tire diameter in cm = td
?i Name of RPM channel = rpm
?i Name of Acceleration channel = ACCEL {g}
?i Name of speed channel = v {m/sec}
?Frontal area of vehicle (sqm) = Ar[2]
?Drag coefficient = Cd[0.45]
?Current atmospheric pressure (millibar) = atmp[1013.2]
?Current temperature (degC) = temp[15]

#SAE correction factor
SAEcf = (1.18 * ((990/atmp) * sqrt((temp + 273.15)/298)) )- 0.18

#air density
density = 0.0412236 * atmp/ (temp + 273.15)

R = td / 200 #tire radius in m

# aerodynamic draq in Newton
Fa = 0.5 * density * (v^2) * Ar * Cd

F = (m * ACCEL/9.81) + Fa
powr =v * F * SAEcf/745.7
MC(RWHP;hp;0) = powr
MC(RWtorque;Nm;0) = powr * 7121/rpm

But, again, I've often found speed inputs to be too course. Good Luck!

-jjf
Old Jan 8, 2007, 07:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks, that actually is really good info, up until we started looking for it, it was really hard to actually find this info posted anywhere.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

i guess we are still stuck waiting, i hope he didnt abandon version .98.

cause i kind of bought evoscan under the impression that the on road dynograph was in .97.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 07:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before I can release EvoScan v0.98, I just need to find what website or ph number I can buy these plugs from?

Sumitomo F(6244-5121) 12-way connector
http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?p=4552

Last edited by evo4mad; Jan 18, 2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 07:32 PM
EvoM Guru

I'm pretty sure its a Molex type connector, I wish I had a good photo of the connector, but try www.mouser.com and look up the different Molex connectors.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

wait so you have to test something with that connector? are we going to have to wait until you get it and test stuff or what?
Old Jan 18, 2007, 07:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Nah nothing much to test, just wanted to source them first, its the last part I need.

Connector pics here:

Last edited by evo4mad; Jan 18, 2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

so your going to release it like, now?
Old Jan 19, 2007, 01:26 PM
Former Sponsor

MJ, that site doesn't have the connectors. Anybody else know where to locate them from?

Sumitomo F(6244-5121) 12-way connector
Old Jan 19, 2007, 05:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Sorry, I thought I had seen them there. I usually contact manufacturers directly for these parts. You should also e-mail Colby since he sells the female version of the connector on his cables, he may have a source for the part you need.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 05:56 PM
Former Sponsor

yeah I emailed colby, he hasn't replied. I cant even find a phone number for this manufacturer, a couple of other people are also looking for a supplier of this female plug. I wonder if a plastics company will make some up for us.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 06:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Ya know, When I was trying to source ECU connectors, Summimoto came up, I had later found that AMP also produces the connectors. I contacted them after I tried entering the interchange number and it didn't come up. They sent me dozens of male/female samples, pins and recepticals.

After doing research on having connectors made (copies of OE connectors such as the boost control solenoid, MAF, Coils, etc..) all had a minimum order of 1000 or more as a commitment. It was way too steep at the time not realizing that I probably should actually do this as there's a market for replacement OE connectors for the mitsubishi and no supplier.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

Bump from a paying customer for Evoscan .98 with road dyno function!

Quick Reply: How much longer until evoscan .98