Notices
ECU Flash

Best Way to connect AEM UEGO to Evoscan?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2007, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only bad USB / serial would be one that uses the same chipset as another device already in use (tactrix or other). I thought about trying to splce into a usb converter and even pulled the cover from the bestbuy model to look, it looked like you would have to solder on the circuit board (tiny), and I passed. Best buy model works good and I've heard the tiger direct usb/serial works as well (not personally verified).
Old Mar 17, 2007, 08:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The good news is the upcoming releases of both Mitsulogger and Evoscan allows you to select the device you want to use, and/or automatically selects the proper openport cable. So if you get a device that shares the FTDI chipset, it will still work properly. This was something that we've been intending to do for awhile that I just recently decided to "fix" and I'm sure Hamish did the same thing.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
so have you guys tried to solder it onto the external pin? and then small heat shrink over the pins... and then large heatshrink over the plug?

i think this would be a really clean setup. likely what i will do.

http://www.microbarn.com/ADA-USERIAL...FQTdlAodljkiFg

how's this one look?

http://www.serialgear.com/Industrial...A-232-1MB.html

this looks better... i might get that.

i want to wire it up close to the ground point by the stock radio zip it to the radio housing and then let the cable drop out somewhere by the glovebox for easy log in plugin

Last edited by trinydex; Mar 17, 2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 08:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Thats probably one of the most complicated and expensive ways to do it.

I have access to some USB-RS232 ports, basically it doesnt have the 9 pin port on it, but you just connect the RX pin and GND, and connect a USB cable to it.

Honestly though, if you go to radio shack and buy part # 276-1428 (9 Pin Female D-Sub Connector)

It comes with the pins and the shell, crimp a pin to the blue wire, and crimp a pin to a wire to use for ground, seat the pins accordingly and thats it. Costs $5 at most, $10 if you buy shrink tubing and do some soldering.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

eventually you'll have to get one of these usb converters right? for a newer laptop that doesn't have serial port?
Old Mar 17, 2007, 09:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Yep, Ultimately you do, but you might be interested in this instead..

http://www.saelig.com/miva/merchant....ategory_Code=U
Old Mar 17, 2007, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

i don't get how to use that... could i get a reader's digest?
Old Mar 18, 2007, 02:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Its basically the same as using a USB-Serial adapter, but it doesnt have the un-necessary 9 pin connector..

So the RX and Ground pins would be used on that device, those would connect to the blue wire and grounded to the same place as the wideband. The difference is you now have a direct USB interface that you can tuck away.

Would people be interested in them if I decided to make up a few that had the right pins set with the right wire color so you can hook it up easily? (Either USB or Serial port?)
Old Mar 18, 2007, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i make cables for a small fee if anyone needs one for this... i have sold a few on here with no complaints as of yet.... let me know
Old Mar 18, 2007, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Its basically the same as using a USB-Serial adapter, but it doesnt have the un-necessary 9 pin connector..

So the RX and Ground pins would be used on that device, those would connect to the blue wire and grounded to the same place as the wideband. The difference is you now have a direct USB interface that you can tuck away.

Would people be interested in them if I decided to make up a few that had the right pins set with the right wire color so you can hook it up easily? (Either USB or Serial port?)
thanks for the link... if you make them i'll take one but i'm about to buy one and do it myself if it'll take too long... i wanna get my wideband up and loggable asap.

is there a schematic that indicates which pin numbers correspond to what pins?
Old Mar 18, 2007, 05:08 PM
EvoM Guru

There's a PDF on the site that labels all of the pins, the only pins you need are the GND and RX pins.. Just run the (blue?) logger wire from wideband to the RX pin, and ground/GND to the same ground as the wideband's ground wire and your set, a little bit of electrical tape or shrink-tube to seal it up.

No reason to wait for me to make one, its so easy to do your better off doing it yourself and saving time and money.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MJ, would there be a way to log boost with the aem digital boost gauge? As it has the same outputs as the wideband does. Or would you have to build the supporting files in mitsulogger first?
Old Mar 30, 2007, 06:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Well.. It depends, Yes it will work with the AEM Logger as its nonspecific and designed for this reason. The only problem is both the AEM Wideband and AEM Boost controller would run on seperate serial ports (they don't diasychain together) and therefore would require multiple instances of the loggers. Oh yeah, the header would still say AFR, I forgot to make that an editable parameter as I was unaware that other AEM products had this type of output also.

So the answer for the time being is YES and NO.. Yes it will probably work if you have only 1 device to log with, no if you want to use both the wideband and boost output for the AEM.

The only reason multiple plugin instances doesn't exist right now, is I'm trying to figure out a way to save and load configuration information in a standard format that persists when you have two instances of the same plugin.

Now, here's the good news, Release 2.0 of Mitsulogger has been renamed Unilogger, its currently in suspended development, but all of the plugins are actively being developed and partially integrated into the current versions of mitsulogger (all the wideband stuff are plugins) In 2.0, you can create multiple instances of individual plugins, and log any or all things you can possibly connect as long as a plugin exists or is compatible with it. The MUT requests in that version is a plugin seperated from the logging completely. So you can mix and match the things you want to log.. Have MUT, UTEC, and Innovate, you can do that, or any combination.. Unfortunately this is likely quite a few months away as I'm still debugging v1.6b3 and will be releasing 1.6b4 which addresses a few new and existing bugs that popped up this past week.

Last edited by MalibuJack; Mar 30, 2007 at 06:40 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

the aem truboost can be fitted with the aem 5 bar sensor.

i have the cal map for the 5 bar sensor. this should just be a matter of some software which is probably well sorted already as we can see by mj's comments above.

mj let me know if you want that cal map.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting. I have just the digital boost gauge, but it still has a 3.5 bar map sensor with th e outputs to log. It would be cool if you could do multiple inputs to log several different things at once. I will just log a/f for now as that to me would be more important.

Last edited by kmcconn9; Mar 30, 2007 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Best Way to connect AEM UEGO to Evoscan?