Notices
ECU Flash

Pocket PC logging now working

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2007, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can not offer much help to you guys but i have a PPC-6700 that i would love to use for data logs on my evo.

so keep up the hard work i will check back and see how progress is going.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evo828
Has anyone got the Tactrix driver install modified in a way that they get recognised by the PDA (with USB host support)?
With much help from Galvitron I've kind of go somewhere, the driver is recognized after changing the PID to match the Tactrix cable, but I've not been able to get data across from the Tactrix cable. I've been really busy with outher stuff so have let this slide, but will try again soon.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ I take it that is Marcel ;-]

So what he said is correct. The Tactrix cable has been recognized by the device. But there is a potential problem with the software that needs to be worked out at his convenience.

I haven't been able to get a good price on the Toshiba e805 or 405. Those are the devices the FTDI guys say are tested. Ebay auctions keep shooting through the roof...

Does that PPC-6700 have a USB host connection??
Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Hi

Well I've now got a little more time to look at this project, now I've finished doing some other beta testing and stuff. Galvitron I'm looking for the Tactrix cable testing software you mentioned, I've done a search but haven't turned anything up yet.

I've also now got VB.net express, is this what's needed for editing the source and compiling the code?

MB
Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Here is the original thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=256670

I also today received my new Toshiba e405 with PocketPC 2003 and a USB host! So I will be debugging as soon as I get a sync cable.

I plugged the tactrix cable into the device and voila! It asked me for the FTDI driver.

I will start a new thread and stop hogging jcsbanks' when I make new progress...

burgers,
the express edition may not be able to debug mobile projects, but I am not sure as I only have Pro edition. Try creating a mobile device project. You may need to download the PocketPC 2003 SDK and Mobile 5.0 SDK for PocketPC. Also make sure your Visual Studio is at Service Pack 1 and also download the Compact Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 for your device.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You need Visual Studio 2005 to use mobile devices.

You can download a fully functional 90 day trial from Microsoft. The system date is checked each time Visual Studio opens to make sure it is within 90 days of the installation date.

I'm still using this every day, it has map switching in it too, although to be honest for a road car this is just a pointless gimmick.

Last edited by jcsbanks; Oct 12, 2007 at 11:29 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Visual Studio is installed, so I'll have a poke around later.

Unfortunately the link to your tester is dead Galvitron, looks like the upload expired, mail it to me if you like. I'm sure it will be much quicker for you to make alterations to your logger when doing your own testing, but it would be good to evaluate it on another device.

Map switch might be a pointless gimmick to you, but it's major bragging rights down at B&Q car park to some folk

MB

Last edited by burgers22; Oct 12, 2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Hmm, can't seem to find it on my work PC. I think it is on my home PC...I hope. I will have to get it off my PC at home when I am done working. I will post it in a more permanent location.

If I lost it, no biggie. I have better P/Invokes to the FTDI lib now so that older version could stand for some improvement. Plus a lot more experience under my belt.

You may also want to try the last logger I sent you Marcel. You can run in debug mode with the handheld connected to activesync and see what is not working...

My whole goal here is to not have to bring a laptop in the car to log. Mr. jcsbanks already has that but not everyone wants to mod a rom to do it or get the serial cable going. I am a believer in KISS so the best would be "plug-n'-play"
Old Oct 12, 2007, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

What I would like to do, but have not had the motivation to do, is to setup the ECU to use DMA for reading and writing - ie for logging and realtime mapping with an alternate protocol to MUT. Even at standard MUT baud rate this would give about 9 times the best MUT logging rate, and if you quadrupled the logging rate you could log 18 x 2 byte items at the same rate as we presently log 1 x 1 byte item with no real performance hit on the ECU since DMA can be done with cycle stealing of probably just 1% of the memory bus bandwidth. This DMA feature is completely unused by the standard ECU code! Practical use or geek interest only? Before all of that we still need an open source logger we can all crack away at so that the realtime stuff can be developed as I've got loads of stuff already that could be rolled out, yet only I can use it so far because I've hard coded an early version of Mitsubishilogger to work with my ECU. Anyway I digress!
Old Oct 12, 2007, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by galvitron
Hmm, can't seem to find it on my work PC. I think it is on my home PC...I hope. I will have to get it off my PC at home when I am done working. I will post it in a more permanent location.

If I lost it, no biggie. I have better P/Invokes to the FTDI lib now so that older version could stand for some improvement. Plus a lot more experience under my belt.

You may also want to try the last logger I sent you Marcel. You can run in debug mode with the handheld connected to activesync and see what is not working...

My whole goal here is to not have to bring a laptop in the car to log. Mr. jcsbanks already has that but not everyone wants to mod a rom to do it or get the serial cable going. I am a believer in KISS so the best would be "plug-n'-play"
Finish your car pc and you wont have to bring the laptop to log :P
Old Oct 12, 2007, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

^^Yup, as soon as I get my 6.5" 800X480 screen. Just can't get anyone to sell me less than 100 of them...

John, are you referring to modding the ECU rom program to use DMA to copy chunks of RAM back and forth? Sounds like a major undertaking. But a good idea none the less. All that assembly just started to give me a headache and everyone else was far ahead of me so I focused on other stuff.

You know what would REALLY be cool, is a PC app that modifies your rom for you with various features that you select, then flashes it.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

I can post an open source logger, I'm just not sure it's a good idea or if it will **** anyone off...
Old Oct 13, 2007, 12:22 AM
Evolved Member

Yes ROM mod to get DMA to move blocks of RAM or ROM in and out of the serial port. The difficult bit is integrating it with the existing code that uses the serial port. Colby says you can start the ECU with any code you want or even store family photos on it, so perhaps this test would be best to get DMA going to try it - say just to set up a dump of ROM to the port. At its most basic it is source, destination and number to transfer, with a few configuration things.

I could knock up a simple logger too, but it would be best to have the established loggers really open source. Jack is too busy to do more with Mitsubishilogger, Evoscan has become a bit complex. I do PC programming because I had to (and had to learn it to get this far), but I can't so far do the friendly xml configurable stuff. Maybe when I'm back from vacation (again ) I'll post up a thread to see how as a community we can tackle the realtime stuff. Tephra's mods made me feel guilty for not releasing it all, but the problem with my work is that it is PC side software and ROM mods and I need to share the love (and the work LOL).

Last edited by jcsbanks; Oct 13, 2007 at 12:27 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 12:55 AM
Evolving Member

Vacation again !? J/K I just went to Japan

From my experience DMA refers to RAM exclusively but that is only because my experience is limited to traditional PC hardware (non-ROM). But hey, if there is a method to DMA from ROM, then the ROM extractor code that Colby wrote should be using it...

Don't know...never seen the source for flashing.

Well, open source has to be decided by the developer and I completely understand their decisions not to release source. You think they have people harrasing them now? Just wait until programmers start PMing them about linker errors and crap. Or how their P/Invoke can't find the path...total nightmare.

XML stuff is cake compared to this assembly stuff. .NET Libs handle all the parsing. You can save an entire database from SQL server, write it to an XML file on disk with embedded structure (field names, table names, etc.), and reload it back into the DB in 4 lines of code in .NET.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 06:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm actually seriously considering releasing the Mitsulogger code as open source because I can't really take time to work on it lately. The big problem has always been how to maintain some sort of source control on the project so everyone can contribute without having projects split off. If someone wants to PM me about a good way to go about this, and their willing to administer the project, then I'll work with them.

Oh, and XML is generally easy to work with, except for the coding exceptions made to allow the mitsulogger XML file to be easier for a human to edit, and at the time to maintain compatibility with Evoscan.

I am going to start mitsulogger 2.0 from scratch to work with a more complaint way to manipulate and edit the configuration and not worry about maintaining any sort of compatibility (either using a database, or a true standard XML definition that is edited from within the program) Which is the primary reason why I am willing to release the source of the current mitsulogger to the right group of developers. Its not like I haven't made source available to special initiatives before. I just asked that they didn't release it to the public.

Last edited by MalibuJack; Oct 13, 2007 at 06:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Pocket PC logging now working