Notices
ECU Flash

coil dwelling on stock ecu? any tuners know anything about this??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2007, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coil dwelling on stock ecu? any tuners know anything about this??

how are you guys doing. i need to know if there are coil dwelling settings on the stock ecu. i need to ajust them. im wondering if there is a way to do this.

reason i need this done is i have c.o.p. ''coil on plug'' igniton on stock ecu and im having some issues.

when driving around maintaining speed not even out of vacum the car is braking up and missfiring

when im at a red light and i go to go the car sounds like a subaru and brakes up real bad.. bucking and stuff

WOT '' wide open throttle'' is perfect

i have tryed everything from 3 types of plugs gaps from .024 too .033 everytime same issues.
all conections are good...

so do any tuners know a fix or can offer me some help for this issue.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 02:09 PM
Account Disabled

The evo's are waste fire so COP's typically have a hell of a time working properly. Even if you do get it working fine a waste fire COP setup chews up plugs monthly. The dwell time AFAIK isn't adjustable in the ecu. If you look at a stock AEM basemap for an evo it should have the dwell time as that is part of setting up the AEM to run a car.

Also the stock evo coils are just ok, but the stock DSM coils are excellent and work well into 50psi boost territory. A piggyback spark unit (that gets trigger from the ecu) with the stock coils is an excellent setup for high rpm and high boost setups. I have yet to see a COP outperform the stock DSM coils. Their are aftermarket coils that outperform the stock DSM coils but they are mighty mighty mighty expensive.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 05:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by dan l

Also the stock evo coils are just ok, but the stock DSM coils are excellent and work well into 50psi boost territory. A piggyback spark unit (that gets trigger from the ecu) with the stock coils is an excellent setup for high rpm and high boost setups. I have yet to see a COP outperform the stock DSM coils. Their are aftermarket coils that outperform the stock DSM coils but they are mighty mighty mighty expensive.
What comparison do you make to determine that the stock DSM coils are better? Are the stock DSM coils a direct swap for an Evo ignition?
Old Aug 31, 2007, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Doesn't a stock DSM have a one coil per plug setup, where as the Evo has one coil for two plugs?
Old Aug 31, 2007, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RedV
Doesn't a stock DSM have a one coil per plug setup, where as the Evo has one coil for two plugs?
No, all DSM's had 2 coils. 1 coil was for 1 & 4 and the other was for 2 & 3 setup as waste spark.

Many people have gone very deep into high horsepower with the stock setup. 500 whp is easily attainable on stock ignition with proper tuning.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 04:12 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mrfred
What comparison do you make to determine that the stock DSM coils are better? Are the stock DSM coils a direct swap for an Evo ignition?

From the fact that I've seen stock DSM coils with no spark modifiers work well into 500whp territory and well into 700whp with a spark modifier and up to 50psi boost. You will see them on some VERY fast cars at the track as well. The coils are NOT a direct swap but many people are doing it.

Also the AEM and MSD are NOT good examles of a spark modifier. I know you'll see the DIS-4 on a lot of fast cars but they suck for stock ecu'd sttreet cars. If you do get it running well then the question is how long will either unit last? They have horrible failure issues. My old MSD actually caught my coils on fire 2 years ago.

Personally I believe stock EVO coils with a spark modifier will work very well. The next step would be some DSM coils or high end individual units like you'll see on the AMS drag car.

Here is an example of a good spark modifier that can keep up with the demands of high rpm's that are so common in our application. http://www.aprilia-v60.net/user/nabr...nstruction.jpg
http://www.aprilia-v60.net/temp/2801314A%20EVO8.pdf

If you want to run COP then you need to run individual cylinder fire instead of waste fire to take advantage of the system. This means you need a standalone. Even then you will just start to approach the quality of the stock system. Also I've been told, but have not tested that because spark is done via the ignitor unit you can change dwell in an AEM but it makes no effect on the dwell of the coil. So you have to get away from the igniter to fire the coil if you really want to modify the dwell and I'm not sure how your going to get a stock ecu to fire the coil without the igniter unit.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 04:31 AM
Account Disabled

You will also see that this car, making 1000whp to the wheels is running DSM coils with normal Blue NGK spark plug wires.

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l8...ORD1000WHP.flv
Old Sep 1, 2007, 08:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
From the fact that I've seen stock DSM coils with no spark modifiers work well into 500whp territory and well into 700whp with a spark modifier and up to 50psi boost. You will see them on some VERY fast cars at the track as well. The coils are NOT a direct swap but many people are doing it.

Sounds interesting. What's required for the swap? Just an electrical connector swap? Different bolt hole arrangement in the coilpacks?
Old Sep 1, 2007, 08:56 AM
Account Disabled

DSM coils are external pairs. Each pair fires the 1-4 and 2-3 cylinders respectively whether its a power or intake stroke. I haven't looked at my evo's wiring. However the DSM system takes the signal from the ecu which interfaces with an ignitor. The ignitor takes this low level signal and gives ground to the coils to fire them.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Maybe try these from Okada Project, I dunno. http://www.okadaprojects.com/usa/products_direct.htm
Old Sep 1, 2007, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
You will also see that this car, making 1000whp to the wheels is running DSM coils with normal Blue NGK spark plug wires.

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l8...ORD1000WHP.flv

Those are 2nd gen DSM coils for those that were wondering exactly which DSM coils.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

ok well can we get back on topic here. figureing out how to tweek or find in the ecu ''coil dwelling'' i dont have dms coils. i have an m&wpro 12 cdi with 300m coil packs.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 12:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts

Here is an example of a good spark modifier that can keep up with the demands of high rpm's that are so common in our application. http://www.aprilia-v60.net/user/nabr...nstruction.jpg
http://www.aprilia-v60.net/temp/2801314A%20EVO8.pdf
That is interesting that you say that as I am currently trying out that unit with montero coils and I have the same issue as the OP.

Wot smooth (smoother than stock coils) but low load in vac, as in cruising on freeway or low rpm driving around town the ignition breaks up.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:50 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds interesting. What's required for the swap? Just an electrical connector swap? Different bolt hole arrangement in the coilpacks?
Any more info on this?

Razorlab, do you think the dwell settings of the DSM coils would be better suited (I'm not sure if they are, 4g vs 4g seems like they might be) and maybe fix the drivability? It seems that the dsm coils and that ignitor upgrade might be the ticket for a high boost, driveable setup.

So who's gonna make a plug in package? Tons of money awaits
Old Sep 22, 2007, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by evilevo2006
ok well can we get back on topic here. figureing out how to tweek or find in the ecu ''coil dwelling'' i dont have dms coils. i have an m&wpro 12 cdi with 300m coil packs.
If you are using a CDI, adjusting the dwell should do absolutely nothing for you. Dwell is something that is used to charge non CDI ignitions, it has no relevance to CDI. M&W should be strong enough to work. You need to verify that 1) you have it wired correctly, and 2) that there are no other causes of the misfire.

Other causes for misfire could include incorrect AFR(you should have retuned this when you put on the new ignition), plugs, and coil problems. Given that it is running worse at idle only, I suspect your AFR at idle may be off. Plug or coil problems generally get worse under higher load, unless its a miswiring issue.

CDIs produce a really short, strong spark compared to the stock ignitions. If you were too lean with the idle mix to begin with(intake air leaks could cause this), you might wind up causing misfires with a CDI that you wouldn't notice with a stock ignition. That is why many CDIs will multispark at low RPM, and why you don't need(and can't) multispark a standard ignition.

Quick Reply: coil dwelling on stock ecu? any tuners know anything about this??