Notices
ECU Flash

Pocket PC and Tactrix cable

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2007, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Mogul(ppc 6800) and I am very interested. Yes convenience is a very big thing nowadays...so someone please make this work.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Working on it...

I've been out of town but I am back. I can really only do major work on the weekends for this. Still trying to sort out the problem I am having. Might have to contact FTDI guys soon.

Remember for those of you who want to use it on the phone that you need to have USB host support to connect the Tactrix cable. Otherwise you will need to modify your ROM to work at 19200 baud (see jcsbanks' thread on that).

J
Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

OK, I am trying to light a fire over at FTDI. Looks like a problem with their driver for the ARM4 processor (what most PocketPCs are running). Here's what I sent them:

Hello,

I am having a difficult problem with the D2XX driver for ARM4 Pocket PC/WinCE devices. The code example provided for the pocketPC on your website is always failing on FT_Read calls. I have my FTDI device connected to my USB host adapter and the FTDI device is recognized and the driver is successfully installed. I am able to list the FTDI devices, open, and set parameters. But every time I try to Read I get an error.

According to the documentation a FT_Read operation should return FT_OK in the event of data received or a timeout. Instead, I am getting a return value of FT_IO_ERROR (4) whenever I try to read.

I have confirmed that the same code works properly on my X86 Windows PC. On the PC I get a return value of FT_OK from the FT_Read function. This rules out the possibility of my FTDI device being the problem.

Keep in mind that this is the sample located on your website at this link:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Projects/CodeExamples/VB.htm

Is there a problem with the driver? Is the demo app on your website incorrect in some way? Without the ability to do a simple Read() I cannot successfully develop applications.

Here is a snippet that represents the relavent code in your demo app:

Dim dwListDescFlags As Integer = FT_LIST_ALL
Dim dwOpenFlag As Integer = dwListDescFlags And Not FT_LIST_ALL
Dim FTstat As FT_STATUS
Dim handle As Integer

Try

FTstat = FT_Open(0, handle)
If FTstat <> D2XX_mod.FT_STATUS.FT_OK Then
MsgBox("Unable to open port (1)")
Exit Sub
End If

FT_SetBaudRate(handle, 9600)
FT_Purge(handle, D2XX_mod.FT_PURGE_.FT_PURGE_RX Or D2XX_mod.FT_PURGE_.FT_PURGE_TX)
FT_SetTimeouts(handle, 3000, 3000)

Dim cBuf(1) As Byte
Dim dwRet As Long

Try
Dim RxBytes As Integer
Dim TxBytes As Integer
Dim EventDWord As Integer

'************************************************* ************************************************** *************
'INFAMOUS READ CALLED HERE.............................................. ............................................
'************************************************* ************************************************** *************
FTstat = FT_Read(handle, cBuf, 1, dwRet)

If FTstat <> FT_STATUS.FT_OK Then
'ALWAYS HITS THIS BREAKPOINT. FT_Read ALWAYS RETURNING 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MsgBox("Fail read...")
Else
If dwRet = 1 Then
MsgBox("Success read")
Else
MsgBox("Success read. timeout")
End If
End If

Catch ex As Exception
MsgBox("Error readin...")
End Try
Catch ex As Exception
MsgBox(ex.Message)
End Try

Please help!
If anyone knows the guys there or IS one of those guys, please help me to get this resolved. The fate of the world hinges upon it

J
Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

keep up the good work. hopefully someone will know the fix
Old Nov 26, 2007, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Got a response from the FTDI guys with some suggestions to try. They also want a schematic for the Tactrix cable.

Anyone have a quick link to this schematic so I can send it to them?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that they are telling me that the device is hanging...WTF?
Old Nov 27, 2007, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

UPDATE:

Tried FTDI's recommendation, which was to FT_SetResetPipeRetryCount with a value of 100. Didn't work...

I told them this and sent the schematic of the Openport. Hopefully they will respond soon...

J
Old Nov 27, 2007, 07:49 PM
Former Sponsor

What about Palm Treos? running palm software
Old Nov 27, 2007, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

I suppose it could be done if the device has a host controller, but this version is written for the .NET compact framework. I don't think there is a version of the CF for Palm devices.

It would require a separate program to be written, but totally doable if the device can talk to the Tactrix cable.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by galvitron
OK, I am trying to light a fire over at FTDI. Looks like a problem with their driver for the ARM4 processor (what most PocketPCs are running). Here's what I sent them:

If anyone knows the guys there or IS one of those guys, please help me to get this resolved. The fate of the world hinges upon it

J

I am not one of the guys... but I took a look at the code briefly.

what version of VB are you using to write the app? Visual studio 2003 or VS 2005?

the demos are written for vs 2003 and .Net 1.0 (maybe). I just went through my own pain porting a .net app from 1.0 to 2.0. Maybe this is a possible cause of the problem. There were many changes internally between .Net 1.x and 2.x

The error that you are recieving is FT_IO_ERROR. I would tweak the serial port settings a little to see if you can open anything at all.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

I am using 2005. All of the FTDI functions are PInvokes for their unmanaged dll. I don't know of any differences in the way Pinvokes work between 2003 and 2005. Do you know of any?

Keep in mind that the same code works from an X86 PC running .NET 2.0. I can also open, list, get status, etc. through their dll.

I have tried the port with various baudrates, timeouts and connected/disconnected to the car...

Here is what FTDI is telling me now:

Hello,

Since you are using the FT232BM chip there is a suggestion that could help. I suggest that you put 47pF capacitors on the D- and D+ lines to ground. This will improve the termination of the device.

Also I am not sure what type of USB connector that you have but if there is a USB connector shield pin on it you will want to leave this pin unconnected and not tied to ground.

Regards

James Leary
Support Engineer

FTDI Ltd
373 Scotland Street
Glasgow
Scotland
UK
G5 8QB
I don't even know where to begin with what he is telling me because I do not want to open up the cable and tinker with it...

Any suggestions? I am not really that knowledgeable about circuits. I am more of a software guy.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

I am using 2005. All of the FTDI functions are PInvokes for their unmanaged dll. I don't know of any differences in the way Pinvokes work between 2003 and 2005. Do you know of any?

Keep in mind that the same code works from an X86 PC running .NET 2.0. I can also open, list, get status, etc. through their dll.

I have tried the port with various baudrates, timeouts and connected/disconnected to the car...

Here is what FTDI is telling me now:

I don't even know where to begin with what he is telling me because I do not want to open up the cable and tinker with it...

Any suggestions? I am not really that knowledgeable about circuits. I am more of a software guy.
one of the things that I don't like about the way they call their unmanaged code is how .NET handles it underneath. Basically .NET is invoking a COM marshaller to convert the .Net data types into win32 data types (which are really the same thing except for string data). If I were to implement this, I would write a small COM wrapper so you control how the data types are sent to teh FTDI drivers.

anyhow....

I kind of understand what they want by installing the capacitors. It's possible that the data lines on the USB cable are too noisy to establish a decent connection.

What are you using to connect the PDA to the tatrix cable? I have a HP Ipaq hw6945 PDA/cell phone. According to all the info I found, I think I have a full USB support. The problem is any USB cable I can find for it only has the male USB blade connector, not the female side. any ideas?
Old Nov 29, 2007, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

I have the Toshiba e405 unit. Toshiba has a "USB host cable" that basically goes from their proprietary connector on the bottom of the device into a female USB. This way I plug the tactrix cable directly into that and it is immediately recognized and driver loaded.

I understand what you mean by the PInvoke marshalling. Fortunately no strings involved here...just byte arrays. And they provide the PInvoke declarations on their website so I would assume I have them declared right (correct data type).

Could you possibly tell me how to do what FTDI suggests? I can do wiring no problem but when it comes to soldering and desoldering, I am not that good unless someone gives me very explicit instruction (basically I don't trust myself not to mess stuff up).
Old Nov 29, 2007, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you got the schematic of the Tactrix? I might be able to work it out from that.

MB
Old Nov 29, 2007, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

You have to register to view or download:

http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic....acb3dafa0be0e0
Old Nov 29, 2007, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

I have the Toshiba e405 unit. Toshiba has a "USB host cable" that basically goes from their proprietary connector on the bottom of the device into a female USB. This way I plug the tactrix cable directly into that and it is immediately recognized and driver loaded.

I understand what you mean by the PInvoke marshalling. Fortunately no strings involved here...just byte arrays. And they provide the PInvoke declarations on their website so I would assume I have them declared right (correct data type).

Could you possibly tell me how to do what FTDI suggests? I can do wiring no problem but when it comes to soldering and desoldering, I am not that good unless someone gives me very explicit instruction (basically I don't trust myself not to mess stuff up).
I can't help with the wiring... But it shouldn't be too hard.

As far as the USB connection. I have a similar cable, except it ends in a USB male connection I guess I could try a gender changer and give it a try.

Quick Reply: Pocket PC and Tactrix cable