Notices
ECU Flash

Question about tuning timing. .

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2007, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about tuning timing. .

I'm working on learning to tune, and i've been studying this but can't quite figure it out. .
How do you know when to ADVANCE or Retard the timing? I've noticed on my stock map compared to my tuned map, some areas are retarded and some are advanced timing. How do you know?
Old Nov 25, 2007, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
subrwho,

a quick and dirty answer, the presents of knock limits how much timing you can run.
once your car is in boost the effort is to run as much timing as the knock count will allow. If you knock at 2 degrees you may need to run at 1 degree timing.

If a car is dyno tuned it is an easy bit of work to find max timing below knock. He raises timing until power drops off or until knock appears.

Without a dyno, same idea but more time consuming, adjust timing, do a log, adjust timing... up or down, what ever the car will take... If the car isn't knocking he might try a little more timing.

Remember also, tuning in moderate conditions (a few pulls in cool weather) is a lot different than many consecutive pulls in warmer weather. It has a big impact on how much timing the car can handle. Then you have the issue of gas quality, and octanes ability to suppress knock.

Lastly, a smoothing of the map so big jumps or valleys are less severe. That is where the chart view in ecuflash is helpful.