Notices
ECU Flash

question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2008, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question

Hi I'm not sure if this would fall under the tuning category but since i am going to use ecu flash to set anti lag I figured that it would be ok to ask here. Ok now for the question. I have my tactrix cable and ecu flash. I also know how to change values and all that stuff, but what i am wondering is If i enable anti lag would I need to change any of my hardware on the car/motor. I was going to try and use anti lag instead of launch control down at the track this weekend I don't like having to slip my clutch in order to get a good start. I also know that anti lag is harder on your turbo but i would only be using it while at the track.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The USDM Evos did not come with the hardware for the stock anti-lag system, so you would need that hardware before attempting to get any anti-lag settings to work.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Ok thanx. Any Idea on what hardware I need?
Old Feb 29, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not really, but it's probably not worth it. From what I know, most people that do get the anti-lag stock pull it off as one of the first mods.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

Ok cool thanx. I wont worry about it then. I appreciate your input.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

im with TB. I work at a shop here in CA known for their suspension's and one of our employee's went through 4 TME turbo's using his 'mild' antilag setup. He pulled the JDM mani off shortly after his 3rd re-build.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCalRedLine
im with TB. I work at a shop here in CA known for their suspension's and one of our employee's went through 4 TME turbo's using his 'mild' antilag setup. He pulled the JDM mani off shortly after his 3rd re-build.
How anti-lag works shortens the life of the turbo so not suprising. Thats why when I see so many primarily street driven cars being so antys about getting it I think wow i wish I had so much disposable income .
Old Mar 1, 2008, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by codgi
.....I think wow i wish I had so much disposable income .
I think this way, regardless of the topic,lol. I have never been a fan of anti-lag on a DD car that gets abused with it even if its only done at the track. Others swear by it. I know it has advantages but it doesn't outway the longterm effects for me.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Is the anti-lag software part of the USDM ROM? Since I am weak on my disassembly I havent been able to find it, partially since I dont know what to look for. I can get the hardware at no cost provided there is even a way to use it on an US car. I had another idea of using it with a seperate harness and microswitch setup if its not in the ROM for control. I think most of the reason it fails is insufficient time between usage to allow cool down. Coming from the rally world where its common (both electronic and hardware driven) practice to have antilag I can tell you with proper setup it wont destroy turbos as fast as everyone thinks. It wouldnt be included as factory equipment if it were (least the SAS) since Mitsu has to know not all SAS equipped cars are going to be race cars. SAS itself stands for Soft Antilag System in fact. The group N antilag setup that I have seen on a few Evo 7's is definitely not the SAS type...it sounds like a cannon (not machine gun as typically described) shooting 10-15 round bursts.

Any NW guys that want to see it in action need to check out Olympus or Oregon Trail..even Wild West.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

I heard something about changing the load cells from 10-60 in the rpm range from 3500-7500 to something like -15 or -20. Then richening up the fuel in the same load and rpm cells to something lke 8. It is supposed to work but never tired it. Anyone chime in
Old Mar 5, 2008, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

Okay, I not only didnt remember posting in it before but I didnt remember this till I searched for it:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ht=SAS+antilag

SO, coming to grips with the question...the SAS system is not Antilag. You could probably engineer it in the software to dump enough extra fuel that the fuel and air would ignite though.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Is the anti-lag software part of the USDM ROM? Since I am weak on my disassembly I havent been able to find it, partially since I dont know what to look for. I can get the hardware at no cost provided there is even a way to use it on an US car. I had another idea of using it with a seperate harness and microswitch setup if its not in the ROM for control. I think most of the reason it fails is insufficient time between usage to allow cool down. Coming from the rally world where its common (both electronic and hardware driven) practice to have antilag I can tell you with proper setup it wont destroy turbos as fast as everyone thinks. It wouldnt be included as factory equipment if it were (least the SAS) since Mitsu has to know not all SAS equipped cars are going to be race cars. SAS itself stands for Soft Antilag System in fact. The group N antilag setup that I have seen on a few Evo 7's is definitely not the SAS type...it sounds like a cannon (not machine gun as typically described) shooting 10-15 round bursts.

Any NW guys that want to see it in action need to check out Olympus or Oregon Trail..even Wild West.
Sure, but set aggressively enough and left on the majority of time it will shorten the life enough for you to notice it. Unless like a good chunk of this forum seemingly, you have infinite disposable income . And I think some of the guys here want the "hardcore" one for a DD which seems odd. Track only yeah...DD no.

From what I remember though they (mitsu) usually only puts that system in the "true" RS, MR and other "race"/competition versions like the RS 2. All varies by market though, in some markets its actually an option on those cars and doesn't come stock so hopefully you know what you are getting into when you get it.

Group N setups are tend to be a bit soft compared to Group A/WRC. MO (Modified Open) is where it can get really crazy too.

Our best current Group A8 VIII at home keeps eating through turbos at inopportune moments such as when he is in the lead :
Attached Thumbnails question-micey.jpg  
Old Mar 5, 2008, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Dwayne,

Electronic antilag has safeguards (least in the autronic) to keep the turbo from dying a sudden and tragic death. It has a cool down feature and will only let you continually rely on the antilag for a certain amount of time (or I assume EGT feedback if so equipped) till it judges its time to let you have it back. As many turbos as Lucas has laying on the floor of his shop I can take my Green off and kill them ..... HAHAHA ... okay but I really do get your point.

The factory SAS is just and only just air injection though.

The group N system alters this I believe or am lead to believe by some noted rallyists.

Whose car is that? I dont recognize it.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Dwayne,

Electronic antilag has safeguards (least in the autronic) to keep the turbo from dying a sudden and tragic death. It has a cool down feature and will only let you continually rely on the antilag for a certain amount of time (or I assume EGT feedback if so equipped) till it judges its time to let you have it back. As many turbos as Lucas has laying on the floor of his shop I can take my Green off and kill them ..... HAHAHA ... okay but I really do get your point.

The factory SAS is just and only just air injection though.

The group N system alters this I believe or am lead to believe by some noted rallyists.

Whose car is that? I dont recognize it.

Fair enough . If you had recognized that car I would have said kudos to you. Thats a Barbadian car. Trevor "Electric Micey" Manning. He's been have reliability problems with it for a while but its still been good enough for 2nd overall finishes in Rally Barbados, Rally Jamaica (and maybe the one in Trinidad too?) over the last 4 years or so. Can't remember but oh well. Hopefully this year will be his and he wins at least one of the big three